LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All I can say is Kory Sheets is pretty good.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
watching this replay again.....those wild cat plays really hindered our drives.....on was on 3rd and long...after we were driving down field.... and the second was on 2nd and long....with no positive yards really...

this is why I feel, like ours have said, don't put too much into this game or the other preseason games as far as play calling....because I'd doubt we would do this during the regular season.....I mean we ran the same wild taser thingy 3 times.....same direction and all.

I swear to God, I do not want to see this play call when the game is close....or if we are behind.... if we have to pull this thing out...we better be up by two scores.

Thank you. As I stated earlier when all the haters were trying to bash Hill, it was CLEARLY the playcalling. Anyone with any football knowledge at all could have picked up on that.

agreed. I was getting frustrated with the play calling. and the vanilla defense and nate playing as far back as the damn safety.
I hated that we would run screens all drive for 5 yards then when we face a 3rd and 6 we have all of our receivers run 20+ yards to the sidelines leaving no one around shaun and no receivers even in the middle of the field.

Yeah, I'm chalking it up to Singletary not giving a damn about winning. He just doesn't want to give away our hand. If we can go 3-0 in preseason by running vanilla on both sides of the ball while other teams are at least opening thier playbook a little, then we'll be fine come regular season. No worries on my end!
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Ok, I tried to be positive about Hill, but come on people. He looked terrible again tonight, we need QB help. At this rate, I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws to the receivers. Our offensive line needs to figure out pass blocking asap or it won't matter who is taking snaps though.

Totally agree, Hill is a backup, not a starter. Smith should be the starter.

Because Smith's superb play and amazing feel for the game was undeniable during the preseason.

Better than Hill's

But Smith didn't outplay Hill (who was the favorite coming in) either which is why he isn't starter. The people calling for Smith need to let it go, the only way he's playing is if Hill stinks it up during the regular season. I'm sure you guys will have your fingers crossed, eh?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
All I can say is Kory Sheets is pretty good.

My boy gets hit at the 6, and drags 3 players with him. B-E-A-S-T! At least we'll be in good company whenever Frank takes a break, or if he happens to go down with an injury......... knock on wood.
Hopefully this is the awnser...

Vanilla
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

Vanilla

yea but unfortunately we hear this as an excuse every offseason.

Vanilla

Hey, I actually found that (turned out to be Alex Smith's) statement from 2007:

Originally posted by Matt Barrows:
Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

But hey, it's just preseason, right?
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

Vanilla

Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

Would you please quit depressing me in every thread I post in!!!
[ Edited by Dajanksta on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM ]

Vanilla

LINK

Hopefully!!!!

That was all under Nolan so that's totally different. Mike has bakced up his word with wins so until he proves otherwise I will give him my Niner faith.

Vanilla

LINK

Sorry. It's just that there are several threads with similar subjects.

But here's a tip: sit on a chair facing a blank wall, close you're eyes and keep repeating: "It's just preaseason. We're being vanilla. It's just preseason. We're being vanilla."

Vanilla

LINK

Hopefully!!!!

That was all under Nolan so that's totally different. Mike has bakced up his word with wins so until he proves otherwise I will give him my Niner faith.

How's that totally different. Singletary was Nolan's protoge! They believe in the same things, that is, a team that is big, physical and stupid (fine, i added that latter. It's still true).

Nolan also managed to win meaningless games and finish 7-9. And with INFERIOR talent. He was crap, no question about it. But is not like we cut ties with his philosophy.

Vanilla

LINK

Sorry. It's just that there are several threads with similar subjects.

But here's a tip: sit on a chair facing a blank wall, close you're eyes and keep repeating: "It's just preaseason. We're being vanilla. It's just preseason. We're being vanilla."

I think his family would call the looney bin. LOL

Vanilla

LINK

Hopefully!!!!

How's that totally different. Singletary was Nolan's protoge! They believe in the same things, that is, a team that is big, physical and stupid (fine, i added that latter. It's still true).

Nolan also managed to win meaningless games and finish 7-9. And with INFERIOR talent. He was crap, no question about it. But is not like we cut ties with his philosophy.

Disagree here. Sing is about execution. Which Nolan never mentioned. If you listen to the good teams and what their Head Coach talks about is execution. If you didn't execute under Nolan we just left you in their till you did. Sing benches your a$$ for some one that will. SIng is a far different coach than Nolan. Nolan never was about just running the ball. His first OC was an WCO guy.

Vanilla

LINK

Hopefully!!!!

Disagree here. Sing is about execution. Which Nolan never mentioned. If you listen to the good teams and what their Head Coach talks about is execution. If you didn't execute under Nolan we just left you in their till you did. Sing benches your a$$ for some one that will. SIng is a far different coach than Nolan. Nolan never was about just running the ball. His first OC was an WCO guy.

I think you're giving Singletary way too much credit and Nolan too little. Nolan was about running the ball. He always stressed that. The fact that his first OC was a WCO guy was more due to circumstance than anythign else.

And don't forget Nolan did bench guys who weren't executing. Remeber during the second half of the 2006 season when he benched the SS (forgot who he was) in favor of Keith lewis and Jeff Ulbrich in favor of Brandon Moore and the team managed to win several meaningless games (just like with Singletary)?

Singletary IS light years in front of Nolan when it comes to leadership skills. But that's about it. For the most part, Singletary seems to be Nolan with a lot more melanin (I hope he proves me wrong).

Vanilla

LINK

Hopefully!!!!

I think you're giving Singletary way too much credit and Nolan too little. Nolan was about running the ball. He always stressed that. The fact that his first OC was a WCO guy was more due to circumstance than anythign else.

And don't forget Nolan did bench guys who weren't executing. Remeber during the second half of the 2006 season when he benched the SS (forgot who he was) in favor of Keith lewis and Jeff Ulbrich in favor of Brandon Moore and the team managed to win several meaningless games (just like with Singletary)?

Singletary IS light years in front of Nolan when it comes to leadership skills. But that's about it. For the most part, Singletary seems to be Nolan with a lot more melanin (I hope he proves me wrong).

Circumstance? His next OC ran the Coryell then we hired Martz. Nolan never really gave much thought to the offense, his main staple was to try and implement his hybrid defense. Every coach loves to run the ball well as did Nolan. Singletary was to smash people in the mouth. There is a difference there. All of Sings games weren't meaningless. We were A YARD away from the playoffs. Thats not meaningless. Every game after that counted cause you neven know when the Cards will fold.

Nolan did bench guys, after it was way too late. Mike doesn't wait. Like when he benched JTO. I think the SS was Parrish wasn't it? Nolan was stubborn and didn't hold players accountable for thier mistakes. He doesn't hold himself accountable for his mistakes due to his pride and that was his downfall.
Share 49ersWebzone