LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
People are pointing fingers of blame at Hill, but the real problem is the OL. That was a bad performance by the first team (although the RT was a 3rd stringer and LG was a 2nd teamer).

Chilo has got to step up his game. Simply not very good yesterday.

OL was not good but like A.Smith, NO HILL EXCUSES-some of his throws were just terrible
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
With all the blitzs Dallas was bring tonight, I thought our Oline did ok. Sure Hill's pocket was small, but he had time to throw. In fact, it's because of this game I started thinking maybe the problem is our receivers and not Hill, since there was plenty of time for him to get rid of the ball, but he didn't on a number of occasions.

Rachal has been inconsistent.

When Hill did have time to throw, his passes were off target, that could be on the receivers. These same arguments for why Hill shouldn't be judged so harshly didn't wash when they were applied to Smith, and this is a better team than Smith got to start on. All these asses that were/are so hard on Smith should realize the hypocrisy, Hill has looked every bit as pedestrian as Smith.

man i loved how sheets launched over everybody for a TD then pulled about 4 defenders with him to the get another TD
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Ok, I tried to be positive about Hill, but come on people. He looked terrible again tonight, we need QB help. At this rate, I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws to the receivers. Our offensive line needs to figure out pass blocking asap or it won't matter who is taking snaps though.

Totally agree, Hill is a backup, not a starter. Smith should be the starter.

Based on what? Nothing.

Based on the fact he throws to the receivers and is more accurate than Hill has looked thus far. Not saying he is great, but Hill has looked really bad so far. You guys slam Smith for his inaccuracy but Hill is doing even worse.

Shaun Hill was getting terrible pass protection all day long. How can you step up in the pocket when Jay Ratliff and Demarcus Ware are right in your face.

So when Smith gets destroyed by a lack of an o-line its an excuse, but when it happens to Hill its not.

I see.

The offense looked like sh*t for one reason, and one reason only. The playcalling was absolutely atrocious. From the blocking assignments, to the routes being ran, all the way down to the simplicity of the running plays.

Hell, I knew what plays they were gonna run before they did, so I'm sure Dallas did.

I wouldn't overreact yet. Save that for week 3 if the team is still not putting things together, and the play calling hasn't improved.

Final conclusion:

Pre season is a f*cking joke, and a huge waste of time!
[ Edited by P-52ENFORCER on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
The offense looked like sh*t for one reason only. The playcalling was absolutely atrocious. From the blocking assignments, to the routes, all the way down to the running plays.

I wouldn't overreact yet. Save that for week 3 if the team is still not putting things together.

Pre season is a joke!

While true, there still has to be, by the 3rd preseason game, some sense of the offense coming together, its not happening.
Ok, I tried to be positive about Hill, but come on people. He looked terrible again tonight, we need QB help. At this rate, I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws to the receivers. Our offensive line needs to figure out pass blocking asap or it won't matter who is taking snaps though.

Based on what? Nothing.

Based on the fact he throws to the receivers and is more accurate than Hill has looked thus far. Not saying he is great, but Hill has looked really bad so far. You guys slam Smith for his inaccuracy but Hill is doing even worse.

Shaun Hill was getting terrible pass protection all day long. How can you step up in the pocket when Jay Ratliff and Demarcus Ware are right in your face.

No one seemed to accept that as a reason when bashing Smith for his spotty play. This team has more talent than any team Smith ever started for as well, I do not do double standards, if it was bad for Smith to do, it is the same for Hill...no more Alexcuses or Hillusions.

nice
Originally posted by AkNiners:
Originally posted by susweel:
No its bad QB play and bad O line play. Along with bad offensive play calling. Martz made the offense look good, I think he will be missed. This play calling looks very Hostlerish. I hope I'm wrong though, I don't wonna watch another s**tty season.

No, we won't miss Martz one bit. Remember the Cardinal game last year we should have if Martz weren't such a moron? Taking 30 seconds to call a timeout, not having the right personnel on the field, or how about the Miami game when he didn't have VD, blocking Porter when he had all but relegated VD to a blocking role throughout the season.

I was as happy to see Martz go as I was to see Nolan go, they both suck.

Wasn't Sing the coach for that debacle? I

Yeah, Sing was the coach and as such deserves some of the blame. However, I do think that he gave Martz a wide berth, as long as Martz didn't play JTO and stopped the 20 yard crossing routes that took forever. We'll never know whose neck to hang those games around.

I wish I still had it on the DVR. I would love to replay it and try to figure out exactly what went on...

The fact that Martz is not coaching in the league speaks volumes about him. He was told a couple of days after the season that he wasn't wanted by the 49ers and had all off season to land somewhere else.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

Because Smith's superb play and amazing feel for the game was undeniable during the preseason.

Better than Hill's

The niners seem to be running the ball well again. The o line may need to cheat in order to give the QB time to throw.

They sure used a lot of screens last night. Haven't they ever played Madden? Don't they know that screens never work?

Seriously, though. I read somewhere this morning that a lot of the WR corp were exhausted from all the two-a-days, and that they had lost a step or two. I think it was Morgan who said he could run a 4.38 generally, but right now, because of all the hard work in training camp, that his legs felt like jelly. So, hopefully, by the start of the season, the team will get a step back and recuperate some energy.
FYI

Rankings after 3 preseason games:
Offense:
- scoring: 19.3 (12th)
- yards/per game: 328.7 (12th)
- passing: 158.0 (30th)
- rushing: 170.7 (1st)

Defense:
- scoring: 16.3 (12th)
- yards/per game: 321.0 (16th)
- passing: 219.7 (20th)
- rushing: 101.3 (14th)

Sacks: 49ers (1), Opponents (8)

But here is a great stat Turnovers: 49ers (1), Opponents (8). I think Singletary's desire to force more turnovers is coming into fruition.
watching this replay again.....those wild cat plays really hindered our drives.....on was on 3rd and long...after we were driving down field.... and the second was on 2nd and long....with no positive yards really...

this is why I feel, like ours have said, don't put too much into this game or the other preseason games as far as play calling....because I'd doubt we would do this during the regular season.....I mean we ran the same wild taser thingy 3 times.....same direction and all.

I swear to God, I do not want to see this play call when the game is close....or if we are behind.... if we have to pull this thing out...we better be up by two scores.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
watching this replay again.....those wild cat plays really hindered our drives.....on was on 3rd and long...after we were driving down field.... and the second was on 2nd and long....with no positive yards really...

this is why I feel, like ours have said, don't put too much into this game or the other preseason games as far as play calling....because I'd doubt we would do this during the regular season.....I mean we ran the same wild taser thingy 3 times.....same direction and all.

I swear to God, I do not want to see this play call when the game is close....or if we are behind.... if we have to pull this thing out...we better be up by two scores.

Thank you. As I stated earlier when all the haters were trying to bash Hill, it was CLEARLY the playcalling. Anyone with any football knowledge at all could have picked up on that.
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Thank you. As I stated earlier when all the haters were trying to bash Hill, it was CLEARLY the playcalling. Anyone with any football knowledge at all could have picked up on that.

agreed. I was getting frustrated with the play calling. and the vanilla defense and nate playing as far back as the damn safety.
I hated that we would run screens all drive for 5 yards then when we face a 3rd and 6 we have all of our receivers run 20+ yards to the sidelines leaving no one around shaun and no receivers even in the middle of the field.
Share 49ersWebzone