LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was suprised how bad hill played I'm hoping it's due to his back and lack of practice this week and hoping he gets healed if that is the case
Originally posted by trellblaze1:
On a positive note, Singletary didn't look concerned at all. This could be a sign that they coaching staff was playing possum. It's possible they weren't looking to wow anybody...instead just see what the individual talent level is across the board.

We all know that if things had been the total wreck they appeared to be Mike would've gone Bears51 on the sideline...I hope...

I've learned never to give too much credit to the coaching staff for running a "vanilla offense". After the '07 Hostler season, I learned to see things the way they look. Singletary and Raye are not suddenly going to become this high flying passing attack where they air it out like the Cardinals.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by susweel:
No its bad QB play and bad O line play. Along with bad offensive play calling. Martz made the offense look good, I think he will be missed. This play calling looks very Hostlerish. I hope I'm wrong though, I don't wonna watch another s**tty season.

No, we won't miss Martz one bit. Remember the Cardinal game last year we should have if Martz weren't such a moron? Taking 30 seconds to call a timeout, not having the right personnel on the field, or how about the Miami game when he didn't have VD, blocking Porter when he had all but relegated VD to a blocking role throughout the season.

I was as happy to see Martz go as I was to see Nolan go, they both suck.

Wasn't Sing the coach for that debacle? I
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
I was suprised how bad hill played I'm hoping it's due to his back and lack of practice this week and hoping he gets healed if that is the case

Doubt it since he's been playing like that all preseason.
I sure hope this passing game steps it up big time when the season starts.
Last night made me a little cynical we'll be any different than last year. And I put the play squarely on McCloughan. We have the same pass rush, RT, and wide receivers as last year. Our big name FA the last couple of years -- Clements may be solid (MAY), but he certainly isn't elite - and isn't he the highest paid CB? Justin Smith deserves a ton of credit for his endless motor, but he can't do it alone. We gave a big contract to Soap last year?

On a positive note:

Nate Davis looks the part of a real NFL QB. Yeah he was playing against 3rd and 4th stringers -- BUT, he didn't get rattled by the pass rush and scramble around nervously looking for receivers. He kept his eyes downfield, stepped up and slid in the pocket and looked like a proficient QB. Thats more than I can say for either Hill or Smith.

MAYBE, maybe it was because Nate was subject to Dallas's first team pass rush heat - and he hasn't been blown up by and NFL hit yet.

But regardles, he looked more like an NFL QB than the others. I'm not saying start him right away, but I would certainly keep and develop him and work him into real games when possible. (Then again, when do the 49ers ever have a big lead to do that. And Nate has only had to learn 1 offense so far. Just wait unless we change OCs again next year.)
Originally posted by AkNiners:
No its bad QB play and bad O line play. Along with bad offensive play calling. Martz made the offense look good, I think he will be missed. This play calling looks very Hostlerish. I hope I'm wrong though, I don't wonna watch another s**tty season.

No, we won't miss Martz one bit. Remember the Cardinal game last year we should have if Martz weren't such a moron? Taking 30 seconds to call a timeout, not having the right personnel on the field, or how about the Miami game when he didn't have VD, blocking Porter when he had all but relegated VD to a blocking role throughout the season.

Yes. Somehow he escapes criticism for it.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Last night made me a little cynical we'll be any different than last year. And I put the play squarely on McCloughan. We have the same pass rush, RT, and wide receivers as last year. Our big name FA the last couple of years -- Clements may be solid (MAY), but he certainly isn't elite - and isn't he the highest paid CB? Justin Smith deserves a ton of credit for his endless motor, but he can't do it alone. We gave a big contract to Soap last year?

On a positive note:

Nate Davis looks the part of a real NFL QB. Yeah he was playing against 3rd and 4th stringers -- BUT, he didn't get rattled by the pass rush and scramble around nervously looking for receivers. He kept his eyes downfield, stepped up and slid in the pocket and looked like a proficient QB. Thats more than I can say for either Hill or Smith.

MAYBE, maybe it was because Nate was subject to Dallas's first team pass rush heat - and he hasn't been blown up by and NFL hit yet.

But regardles, he looked more like an NFL QB than the others. I'm not saying start him right away, but I would certainly keep and develop him and work him into real games when possible. (Then again, when do the 49ers ever have a big lead to do that. And Nate has only had to learn 1 offense so far. Just wait unless we change OCs again next year.)

Nate Davis was under heavy pressure. He used his speed to escape from several sacks.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM ]
Just to be fair. When the Niners looked the worst was when Dallas was attacking our QBs with 6-7 guys. Did our D even do that once this game?
The 49ers passrushers were laughably bad. Lawson in particular got knocked on his ass all day and never came close to sacking the qb. Looks like more of the same from him. I'm sure he will get injured soon though and some fans will say he was on his way to a ten sack season if not for the injury. I hope Harolson was just rusty from not playing in a game in awhile.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM ]

People are pointing fingers of blame at Hill, but the real problem is the OL. That was a bad performance by the first team (although the RT was a 3rd stringer and LG was a 2nd teamer).

Chilo has got to step up his game. Simply not very good yesterday.
Originally posted by HearstFan:

On a positive note:

It seems Clements has been getting torched all preseason which is not a good sign,Romo lit him up before coming out.They have him playing off the WR when he's a bump-n-run CB,I don't get it.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I believe our offense is conservative and hopefully we are not that way in the regular season. We have a good running game and need to take some shots down the field. yes the OL is not fully healthy but where is Morgan, Hill who played well in Martz Offense last year
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by AkNiners:

Yes. Somehow he escapes criticism for it.
Yup I have a feeling that our offense and pass rush D would suck this year. On Jimmy Rayes offense I don't sense any creativity or so whatever hope I am proven wrong but based on what I see it might happen, Pls. no Hostler 2.0
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Chief:
I really can't blame Hill at all, our starting receivers got zero separation and the oline looked like complete s**t.

Our entire starting offense looked bad.

Defense play well but still lacked pass rush.

Haha, and there it is... hypocrisy at it's finest. It's all Alexcuses if the OL or receivers fail to do their job... but somehow legit reasons for Shaun Hill's lackluster accomplishment.

When Hill starts being a liability during the regular season like Smith has in the past then you can compare the two.

Other than his rookie season, when was Smith a liability? He had a decent season in 06 and the Niners were 2-1 when he went down in 07 (one of those wins being a drive he engineered to beat the Cardinals). If you mean he was a liability when he had a separated shoulder than I agree. Otherwise, no. I admit he was only sporadically a game-changer, but to say he was a liability is just revisionist history.

Right on

Share 49ersWebzone