There are 186 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
From this angle, Carlton Banks.

It'll be interesting to see which of the two young guys, Johnson or Rathman, ultimately succeeds Jimmy Raye who, IMHO, probably has about a 2 year window before he is promoted to AHC or something and someone else takes over the OC duties.
Hostler was A.smith qb coach picked by Nolan. Hostler was a db not a qb in college, no qb experience. I guess Nolan got qb and db mixed up. Its no wonder we have seen little improvement from the qb position. Wooooooo Hooooooo Nolan is GONE!!!!!!
Originally posted by Nabisko:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quarterbacking 101

Pat is it me or does Mike look like Dave Chappelle?

You're right Miles. Good call!

[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 10, 2009 at 14:45:34 ]
Yea i would agree the girls really love my Johnson

oh you said Mike Johnson
I would like to see what he can do. Its obvious to me he and Alex Smith have a good rapport. I wonder how much the play-calling would change if Mike Johnson took over? I've heard that he did study the spread formation at Illinois during his year out of the NFL. He has even called plays in the past...

Quote:
BIOGRAPHY

Mike Johnson enters his first season with the 49ers after being named the quarterbacks coach on February 6, 2009.

Johnson had most recently served as the wide receivers coach in Baltimore from 2006 to 2007. With the Ravens, he helped 12-year veteran receiver Derrick Mason record his then-sixth 1,000-yard season in 2007. Mason tallied 1,087 yards on 103 receptions with five touchdowns, leading the team in all receiving categories. A year prior, WR Mark Clayton developed into the Ravens top deep threat and playmaker, posting three touchdowns of 62-or-more yards in 2006.

Prior to joining Baltimore, Johnson spent three years as the quarterbacks coach with the Atlanta Falcons, tutoring three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Michael Vick. Vick put up 2,412 passing yards and 15 touchdowns, while ranking second on the team with 597 rushing yards and six touchdowns, in 2005. In 2004, Vick became the first NFL quarterback to throw for more than 250 yards and run for more than 100 yards in a single game (at Den. 10/31/04).

In 2003, Interim Head Coach Wade Phillips asked Johnson to call the Falcons offensive plays for the final two games of the season. In those two contests, Vick compiled his second-highest quarterback rankings of the year (119.2 at Tampa Bay, 12-20-03, and 93.0 vs. Jacksonville, 12-28-03). In 2002, Johnson guided a young receiving corps that included WR Brian Finneran, who had the best year of his career, recording 838 yards on 56 receptions and six touchdowns.

From 2000 to 2001, Johnson served as the quarterbacks coach for the San Diego Chargers. Under Johnson’s guidance, Doug Flutie amassed career-highs with 3,464 yards passing and 294 completions in 2001. Flutie’s passing yards that season were the most for a Chargers quarterback since Dan Fouts put up 3,638 yards in 1985. During the 2001 campaign, Flutie threw for more than 300 yards on four occasions.

Johnson coached the quarterbacks at Oregon State in 1999 after serving as the Beavers wide receivers coach from 1997 to 1998.

Johnson played five pro seasons as a quarterback, beginning his career as a rookie free agent with the Arizona Cardinals in 1990. After being released as part of the team’s final cuts of training camp that season, Johnson played two years for the San Antonio Riders of the World League. Johnson moved to the Canadian Football league in 1992 and quarterbacked the British Columbia Lions for two seasons. From 1994 to 1995, he quarterbacked the CFL’s Shreveport Pirates for his final two pro playing years.

Johnson was the backup quarterback at ASU from 1985 to 1986, but then transferred to Mesa Community College, where he became a Junior College All-American in 1987. Johnson then transferred to the University of Akron for two years (1988-89) and was named Akron’s Athlete of the Year in 1990.

I think he could do a good job.
Agreed.

Mike Johnson for OC ASAP. I was about to make a thread too.
anybody but raye is fine with me lol
It might seem a bit too early to do it. I feel like he may need more time before he can be an OC but I got to say that he's done wonders for Alex. The first two years, Alex's mechanics were terrible to the point balls were either over and under thrown.

This year, Alex has been much more accurate and mechanically sound.

That pass to Crabtree for the TD was a beauty.

I think we are switching Offensive Coordinators too often which is a big part of our problem.
I'm skeptical because the last time an OC said that we're going to keep the offense the "same" it was anything but.

-9fA
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
It might seem a bit too early to do it. I feel like he may need more time before he can be an OC but I got to say that he's done wonders for Alex. The first two years, Alex's mechanics were terrible to the point balls were either over and under thrown.

And the one to Vernon Davis also.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

And the one to Vernon Davis also.

Vernon's over the shoulder catch prior to that was impressive as well. He would not have been able to do that in the past because he was too buff and his body control was terrible.

Man, we need to get Brandon Jones in there and make Bruce inactive. Brandon Jones is our best down the field threat and Smith and Jones have had some good connections during TC.

you can add the passes to VD as well to that list of beautiful passes
Share 49ersWebzone