LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
Agreed.

Mike Johnson for OC ASAP. I was about to make a thread too.

I think Mike Johnson is a good young offensive mind. I truly believe though, that Coach Sing picked Raye because he is old and has no aspirations of becoming a HC somewhere else. Trust me, Mike Johnson's name was being floated around last year as possible OC somewhere else.....don't think Alex Smith deserves, or can handle another OC change. I'm willing to bet that Mike Johnson has a big say in the offensive coaches meeting. Just my 2 cents.
Originally posted by contrarios:
Why not Rathman?

No history with the digit system prior to this job.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Quote:
The most logical successor is QBs coach Mike Johnson, who spent his year away from football last season completing his communications degree and learning more about the spread offense.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/49ers-need-continuity-on-offense.html

I think he is the man for the job.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think we are switching Offensive Coordinators too often which is a big part of our problem.

I totally agree. I'm not thrilled with Raye, but I think for the sake of continuity he needs to stay in as OC. I like Mike Johnson. He could be an OC in the future. But not yet.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I honestly don't know enough about this guy.

Any OC will not succeed with this O-Line.

We need a very good line coach, who that is i dont know.

We have potential at O-line but no one to harnass it.

Very good point. I miss Bobb McKittrick a lot.

Agree we need a new o-line coach.
He may be our best/only option other than Raye. I pointed that out as well that he called plays for 3 games for the Falcons and Vick had 2 of his best career games, not sure if you can just go by him calling plays for 3 games but it is impressive and like you said Pat, he did spend time at Illinois last year learning the spread. He has coached several years under Mike Riley who is a good offensive coach and also worked under Norv Turner and Brian Billick.

Right now if you'd ask me who I would rather have as OC, Jimmy Raye or Mike Johnson I would say Mike Johnson. I think he is the only other potential guy who would replace Raye IF Raye got fired.
Quote:
Johnson coached the quarterbacks at Oregon State in 1999 after serving as the Beavers wide receivers coach from 1997 to 1998.

Weird. I remember a certain Beavers Head Coach jumping ship in 2003 to coach the San Francisco 49ers after four seasons beginning in 1999.

HE HAS RETURNED.

[ Edited by redrathman on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM ]
Again:

Keep the staff in place through TC.
Name Johnson assistant OC and then, early next season after Raye effs up, replace him with Johnson.
We get continuity and a fresh perspective.
At the very least I would like to see Johnson have some input and say in the offense next year if Raye is brought back as OC
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Id be for it Pat, sounds good.

Also, agree with others, need to get Brandon Jones in there, we paid his butt 15M and we keep him on the bench and as PR, which he isnt suited for. So play him Sing and Raye.

4 WR sets with Crabtree, Morgan, Hill and Jones. Really wish to see that before season's end.

And I am so tired of the pseudo 4 WR sets with Crabtree, Morgan, Davis and Walker. Walker is a mismatch physically but he hasn't done jack about 99% of the time while we've used that formation.

VD > Jones in that lineup

Originally posted by PTulini:

I didn't know Jamie Foxx was a 9ers fan.
  • TFSP
It might seem a bit too early to do it. I feel like he may need more time before he can be an OC but I got to say that he's done wonders for Alex. The first two years, Alex's mechanics were terrible to the point balls were either over and under thrown.

This year, Alex has been much more accurate and mechanically sound.

That pass to Crabtree for the TD was a beauty.

Why is it a bit to early?
Doesn't matter who the OC is, even if it was Don Coryell, they would still have to "be" what Sing wants them to be......which is a boring a$$ ball control, we are going to win 9 to 6 type of offense.

Agreed, the Jimmy Raye experiment has failed. Time to bring in the new blood. Hope we find the right one (Mike Johnson or not) and he sticks around for awhile.
Originally posted by backontop:
It might seem a bit too early to do it. I feel like he may need more time before he can be an OC but I got to say that he's done wonders for Alex. The first two years, Alex's mechanics were terrible to the point balls were either over and under thrown.

This year, Alex has been much more accurate and mechanically sound.

That pass to Crabtree for the TD was a beauty.

you can add the passes to VD as well to that list of beautiful passes

Every one of his TDs this year have looked like they came easy to him, and when he throws one and walks off the field he looks like he expects that sort of thing. You never saw that from him before. I think he has turned the corner he just needs to do it consistently.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone