LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY: Most Important

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Joe Staley would be the perfect guy to mentor and become a best buddy to Boone.

Alex Boone needs to eat,sleep, breath and watch Joe Staley.
If Boone can overcome his vice and play to his talent, he'll be the steal of the draft. The Niners have nothing to lose and potentially a future starting RT to gain. If he keeps his nose clean, I have to believe he'll make the team with Sims being shown the door. Boone chose the Niners because of Singletary, and he's got enough talent that if they place him on the practice squad, I bet some other team would pick him up. Unless his talent is a mirage, I can't imagine the Niners would let that happen.
Alcohol is just plain liquid evil.It is a travesty of the highest degree that marijuana is illegal,yet you can go to almost any store and load up on something that can (and will) ruin lives.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Free Alex!!!!

That was a truly classic thread!
i heard somewhere he was up to 30-40 beers a day...I hope he can control this issue.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Alcohol is just plain liquid evil.It is a travesty of the highest degree that marijuana is illegal,yet you can go to almost any store and load up on something that can (and will) ruin lives.

Let's not go overboard. Boone is obviously an alcoholic, so it's probably best for him to just stay clear of the booze. But in society at large, it's not alcohol that's the problem but a culture of excess and aggression. Most alcoholics don't go around smashing windshields, so it's apparent alcoholism is just one of his issues. That being said, for his sake and the Niners', I hope he makes the team and figures himself out along the way.

...and yes, it's ridiculous that alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't.
Boone is not "obviously alcoholic." He's a young guy who has done some binge drinking and can't hold his liquor. That doesn't necessarily mean he has the disease. But I totally agree that people should be able to use pot as an alternative.

You calling for marijuana to be legalized or booze to be made illegal.

You guys tried prohibition once before.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Boone is not "obviously alcoholic." He's a young guy who has done some binge drinking and can't hold his liquor. That doesn't necessarily mean he has the disease. But I totally agree that people should be able to use pot as an alternative.

Maybe that's too harsh but I'm not sure. "I just don't go out," Boone says. "That limits the opportunity to be around alcohol." That's a bit extreme for someone who's just a light-weight. If it isn't a problem, he should be able to go out and just not drink or keep it to a few. I'd say it's pretty clear he has a drinking problem.
Boone and Sheets won't make this team.

Originally posted by gravelburn:

Let's not go overboard. Boone is obviously an alcoholic, so it's probably best for him to just stay clear of the booze. But in society at large, it's not alcohol that's the problem but a culture of excess and aggression. Most alcoholics don't go around smashing windshields, so it's apparent alcoholism is just one of his issues. That being said, for his sake and the Niners', I hope he makes the team and figures himself out along the way.

Whether or not they go out and smash windshields is irrelivant to what he said. Being an alcoholic will ruin your life eventually whether your aggressive or not. However being a complete pot head also wont launch you to the next tier in your life.
I like the effort the organization is making to help this kid stay straight. It sounds like he might have some talent and and we could use another good OT. It's easy to root for a win ...... win situation.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by gravelburn:

Whether or not they go out and smash windshields is irrelivant to what he said. Being an alcoholic will ruin your life eventually whether your aggressive or not. However being a complete pot head also wont launch you to the next tier in your life.

I absolutely agree, but in moderation, both alcohol and pot are fine (except for the fact that it's illegal). There are plenty of very successful people who drink and/or smoke on a regular basis without their lives being ruined. Then again there are others who for whatever reason can't. Nothing is perfectly black and white. All I was trying to get at is that there are all kinds of shades of gray.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I saw him drinking at family day

If this guys pans well have a beast right tackle for the next 10 years, if not well we didnt draft him. Win win for us
One of the few knocks on our draft was the fact that we did not address the O-line in the early rounds... Well this kid was certainly in the upper echelon of OT's going into the season, but saw his stock drop due to off the field issues - He still certainly possesses the talent which made so many think so highly of him prior to the season, it is the coaches job to get him to fulfill that potential.

I am fairly confident that this kid has what it takes to become a starting RT in this league, and am excited to see if he has what it takes to earn that spot in the proximate future.
Share 49ersWebzone