LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Jon Embree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Hopefully we get one that will get Kittle more involved in the damn gameplan aside from just staying in to block. I can't say for certain if that's Kyle or if it was Jimmy just not looking his way but something needs to change and Kittle needs more freaking targets. It's a joke how underutilized he was

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It was having the worst pass blocking RT in the NFL

Pretty much this.

Kittle staying in to help block 50% of the time.

"DAMNIT, why isn't Kittle getting the football more often?"

1. He wasn't the worst.
2. @Phoenix, I know he stayed in to block and acknowledged that.

There's other ways to help out the RT to get Kittle the ball more. I know both of you know this. Chips, shifting the RB to that side etc… We going to pretend that we the only team in the NFL with pass protection issues? That's such a weak excuse to not utilize Kittle who's one of the best in the NFL in the passing game more often. Just my opinion. If you guys are fine wasting him away as a blocker "50%" of the time, I simply disagree

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tom-compton/7181

Hopefully we get one that will get Kittle more involved in the damn gameplan aside from just staying in to block. I can't say for certain if that's Kyle or if it was Jimmy just not looking his way but something needs to change and Kittle needs more freaking targets. It's a joke how underutilized he was

Definitely weird, but I'm not wowed by the TE room. Yes we have Kittle, but who else?

Let's compare that to other units. Running backs- multiple guys have come in and produced. The only guys who didn't really do anything were a washed up Alfred Morris and Trey Sermon.

Wide receivers-This group is humming. Five years ago we didn't have a single guy. Now we have three. Give Wes Welker a Marquise Goodwin like speedster (that's all you can hope for on day 3 of the draft) and hopefully another UDFA can impress.

Offensive line- Laken Tomlinson was perceived as a bust in Detroit. Now he'll be one of the better guards on the market. Daniel Brunskill, while I don't like him at RG, was solid at RT and is the perfect backup. They are capable of starting a few games and can play multiple positions. McKivitz looked okay as a starter in week 18. We haven't invested high draft capital in O-line save for McGlnchey and Trent Williams until this year. But in general, for what Foerster has been given, this is a good unit.

Quarterbacks- anyone that can get 4000 + yards and 25 TDs in sixteen starts can do serious work with QBs. Scangarello is a plus.

Defensive line- no words needed.

Linebackers- We got an All-Pro in the 3rd round, another gem in the 5th, and another one coming on as an UDFA. Really good group.

Defensive backs- Jimmie Ward became a solid starter and UDFA Mosely has developed. This unit needs to produce far more, but don't we lack a CB coach?

All in all to say that, almost every unit is either great or has developed more than one guy. I am curious to Kyle's vision for the tight end group and why on Earth is Hightower retained? Does he think the special teams players suck?

Also, I'm 100% on board with what Flores is doing and glad he is trying to shine line on what has happened in terms of the hiring (and for me, more specifically the firing of black coaches and hiring of mediocre coaches), but for anyone to claim racism as it relates to Kyle Shanahan's staff has got to be clueless. There are so many more compelling cases to be made. To look here (San Francisco) to add to this story is plain BS. If anything, our staff over the last five years outta be the model of what the NFL wants.

This.

Just watching Compton out there trying to pass block was something I'm hoping to not see again. Especially if Lance is QB1 next season.

Interested to see who they bring in to replace Embree. That person will have one of the best TEs in football to work with!
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Feb 2, 2022 at 12:21 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Pretty much this.

1. He wasn't the worst.

There's other ways to help out the RT to get Kittle the ball more. I know both of you know this. Chips, shifting the RB to that side etc… We going to pretend that we the only team in the NFL with pass protection issues? That's such a weak excuse to not utilize Kittle who's one of the best in the NFL in the passing game more often. Just my opinion. If you guys are fine wasting him away as a blocker "50%" of the time, I simply disagree

It's PFF so take it with a grain of salt.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Matt Barrows confirming on Twitter that TE/Asst HC Jon Embree will not return. Solomon Wilcots on Twitter said Niners wanted to cut his salary by 60% . Niners need a new TE coach now.

which is bizarre considering he was with Kyle in Washington and he took a promotion to come here leaving TB.

I bet we get Pariani to replace him. Was with Kyle in Houston and Mike in Denver. Part of the current staff in flux in Minnesota.
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Feb 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Matt Barrows confirming on Twitter that TE/Asst HC Jon Embree will not return. Solomon Wilcots on Twitter said Niners wanted to cut his salary by 60% . Niners need a new TE coach now.

which is bizarre considering he was with Kyle in Washington and he took a promotion to come here leaving TB.

I bet we get Pariani to replace him. Was with Kyle in Houston and Mike in Denver. Part of the current staff in flux in Minnesota.

That's bizarre.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Definitely weird, but I'm not wowed by the TE room. Yes we have Kittle, but who else?

I actually like Woerner. He too however isn't get much action in the passing game. Like Kittle this isn't Charlie's fault.
Originally posted by jcs:

Pretty much this.

1. He wasn't the worst.

It's PFF so take it with a grain of salt.

Lol but I should believe Lombardi? Everything he says is grain of salt for me. Look, I ain't denying that Compton sucks and absolutely is among the worst, as is Mcglinchey IMO. All I'm saying is that there are other ways besides Kittle staying in to help the RT pass protect and that I think he wasn't utilized enough, especially in the playoffs
Lol but I should believe Lombardi? Everything he says is grain of salt for me. Look, I ain't denying that Compton sucks and absolutely is among the worst, as is Mcglinchey IMO. All I'm saying is that there are other ways besides Kittle staying in to help the RT pass protect and that I think he wasn't utilized enough, especially in the playoffs

Here's a way to simplify things....get a right tackle that doesn't suck at pass blocking.

Pretty much this.

1. He wasn't the worst.

He was the 53rd ranked OT in PBLK at the end of the year. Dude was butt.

I definitely think they're making McDaniels assistant to the regional manager… eh… AHC. Especially now with all the dolphins crap going around I don't think he's want to go there.
[ Edited by SFTifoso on Feb 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM ]
This is such a non story.

We may not all like Jed but dude has been progressive as hell and supported Kap through everything.

Shanahan has produced two minority head coach candidates and actually helped get one a head coaching job.

Here's a way to simplify things....get a right tackle that doesn't suck at pass blocking.

Kittle ran the 14th most routes this yr among TEs (487), he was 2nd in the league in RBLK snaps (449), and 9th in PBLK snaps (70).

Touché
We need a TE coach that can help Jordan Matthew become Darren Waller
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Feb 2, 2022 at 12:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone