There are 230 users in the forums

Jon Embree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Asking a coach to take a 60% cut in pay is a very bad look. 49ers should really comment on what happened here. I don't think it has anything to do with race but it's a bad look to do that to one of your coaches regardless of race.

No salary cap and not like our TEs were a major issue or something. Very odd.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Hopefully we get one that will get Kittle more involved in the damn gameplan aside from just staying in to block. I can't say for certain if that's Kyle or if it was Jimmy just not looking his way but something needs to change and Kittle needs more freaking targets. It's a joke how underutilized he was

It was having the worst pass blocking RT in the NFL
Embree is Singletary as a TE coach. He wants to be more than that so they gave him AHC as an honorary title. I applaud his confidence in wanting to be something more than that but in his last HC stint he was a complete and utter failure. Constantly being known for being overmatched, his assistants having to correct him and his players being over his non stop style of yelling. I watched it from the stands, he never had an answer but just yelled at his players. Bieniemy would walk away and try to have constructive conversations about what the defense was doing to the CU offense while Embree would run over and yell in a players face.

He's a good position coach, but there are plenty like him. His contract was up and he probably wants to be more than just a TE coach with a glorified title... good for him, hope it works out better than the last time he took on that responsibility. Bieniemy was known as the ultimate recruiter for CU, Embree took those recruits and made them want to transfer.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Embree is Singletary as a TE coach. He wants to be more than that so they gave him AHC as an honorary title. I applaud his confidence in wanting to be something more than that but in his last HC stint he was a complete and utter failure. Constantly being known for being overmatched, his assistants having to correct him and his players being over his non stop style of yelling. I watched it from the stands, he never had an answer but just yelled at his players. Bieniemy would walk away and try to have constructive conversations about what the defense was doing to the CU offense while Embree would run over and yell in a players face.

He's a good position coach, but there are plenty like him. His contract was up and he probably wants to be more than just a TE coach with a glorified title... good for him, hope it works out better than the last time he took on that responsibility. Bieniemy was known as the ultimate recruiter for CU, Embree took those recruits and made them want to transfer.

He's Dwight Shrute get it right
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Pretty much this.

Kittle staying in to help block 50% of the time.

"DAMNIT, why isn't Kittle getting the football more often?"
Bad timing, but I don't think there is anything else to it
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I honestly don't think this has anything to do with racism. I'm with you, I think they wanna go a different direction in terms of Assist. HC. I've been calling for a strong Assist. HC for some time so that Shanny can concentrate more on the offence. I've long held that Shanny, while a brilliant offensive mind, play caller and play designer, isn't a complete HC. I really think Shanny should hire a respected guy with HC experience to be the Assist. HC.

Assistant HC is a largely meaningless title. Its usually given to an experienced assistant as an honorarium but its like saying assistant to the regional manager. It has zero reflection on the HC's overall responsibilities.

I think this is entirely about moving in a different direction in terms of coaching the TE's.

There might be a coach out there who is suddenly available that Shanahan thinks could be an upgrade or he just felt that Embree wasn't cutting the mustard, eitherway its his prerogative to move on.

As someone who acts and sounds like he plays dungeons and dragons… I'm sure McDaniel values honorary titles greatly.

If it keeps mcdaniels here to add 60% to his salary as assistant hc it adds up for me.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
As someone who acts and sounds like he plays dungeons and dragons… I'm sure McDaniel values honorary titles greatly.

"Mike if you come back we'll make you Astral Dreadnought of Offense!"
People claiming on racism for this specific topic is part of the reason why others aren't taking the Flores situation as serious as it should. Sometimes they just want to move on, I mean all 3 of our coordinators are minorities and both demeco and McDaniels are going to be HCs soon enough. As for embree, we'll see who we hire to coach up TEs. Maybe Welker convinces Gronk to take up coaching lol we do a good job bringing in former players to coach anyways.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Matt Barrows confirming on Twitter that TE/Asst HC Jon Embree will not return. Solomon Wilcots on Twitter said Niners wanted to cut his salary by 60% . Niners need a new TE coach now.

60%!!! Wow, they really don't like him.
Some thing doesn't sound right there. Coaches don't count against the cap so cutting costs there don't add up.

He was getting paid more than the other coaches because of the assistant HC title. They obviously wanted to hire a different assistant HC, so he either had to drop back to his TE coach wage or leave, and he chose to leave.

Hopefully we get one that will get Kittle more involved in the damn gameplan aside from just staying in to block. I can't say for certain if that's Kyle or if it was Jimmy just not looking his way but something needs to change and Kittle needs more freaking targets. It's a joke how underutilized he was

Pretty much this.

1. He wasn't the worst.
2. @Phoenix, I know he stayed in to block and acknowledged that.

There's other ways to help out the RT to get Kittle the ball more. I know both of you know this. Chips, shifting the RB to that side etc… We going to pretend that we the only team in the NFL with pass protection issues? That's such a weak excuse to not utilize Kittle who's one of the best in the NFL in the passing game more often. Just my opinion. If you guys are fine wasting him away as a blocker "50%" of the time, I simply disagree
I wonder if the 49ers might consider Brian Pariani as TE coach. He worked for Mike in Denver, was with Kyle in Houston and as Minnesota is getting a new staff, he'd likely be free to go elsewhere. He's been coaching TE's in the NFL for nearly 30 years, including being on the 49ers staff back in 1994. He's also from the Bay Area.
Originally posted by genus49:
Asking a coach to take a 60% cut in pay is a very bad look. 49ers should really comment on what happened here. I don't think it has anything to do with race but it's a bad look to do that to one of your coaches regardless of race.

No salary cap and not like our TEs were a major issue or something. Very odd.

They wanted a different assistant HC. Not that complicated, and not a "bad look."

Pretty much this.

1. He wasn't the worst.

There's other ways to help out the RT to get Kittle the ball more. I know both of you know this. Chips, shifting the RB to that side etc… We going to pretend that we the only team in the NFL with pass protection issues? That's such a weak excuse to not utilize Kittle who's one of the best in the NFL in the passing game more often. Just my opinion. If you guys are fine wasting him away as a blocker "50%" of the time, I simply disagree

1. He wasn't the worst.

Its not just "pass protection" issues, Compton was literally the worst pass-blocking right tackle in football. Kittle still had nearly a thousand yards receiving so its not like he wasn't getting plenty of reps as a receiver as well.
Share 49ersWebzone