LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Jon Embree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Matt Barrows confirming on Twitter that TE/Asst HC Jon Embree will not return. Solomon Wilcots on Twitter said Niners wanted to cut his salary by 60% . Niners need a new TE coach now.
Wilcots claiming racism here is a total joke. The 49ers have one of the most diverse staffs in football. They likely wanted him to step down to TE coach and take the pay cut so they could hire a different assistant HC.
Also, was he actually fired or was his contract up?

"Not returning to the team" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "fired".
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Assistant contracts usually go for two years so he might just be up.

I'm guessing they're just choosing not to bring him back as TE coach and may have offered him a lesser role or position that he declined.
what about hightower. that guy should go.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Matt Barrows confirming on Twitter that TE/Asst HC Jon Embree will not return. Solomon Wilcots on Twitter said Niners wanted to cut his salary by 60% . Niners need a new TE coach now.

60%!!! Wow, they really don't like him.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Wilcots claiming racism here is a total joke. The 49ers have one of the most diverse staffs in football. They likely wanted him to step down to TE coach and take the pay cut so they could hire a different assistant HC.

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with racism. I'm with you, I think they wanna go a different direction in terms of Assist. HC. I've been calling for a strong Assist. HC for some time so that Shanny can concentrate more on the offence. I've long held that Shanny, while a brilliant offensive mind, play caller and play designer, isn't a complete HC. I really think Shanny should hire a respected guy with HC experience to be the Assist. HC.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Assistant contracts usually go for two years so he might just be up.

I'm guessing they're just choosing not to bring him back as TE coach and may have offered him a lesser role or position that he declined.

Looking into it, I believe that's exactly the case. He is not being FIRED as has been reported, just not being retained. He was in his fourth year, so his second 2-year contract was up. Sounds like exactly as you said, they had someone else in mind for assistant head coach and would've loved to keep him, but only as TE coach or maybe even a lesser role. So it would've been a step down.

Still looks bad even if that's what happened. They shouldn't have even bothered with an offer like that.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 2, 2022 at 11:38 AM ]
And Butch Barry is going as well.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I honestly don't think this has anything to do with racism. I'm with you, I think they wanna go a different direction in terms of Assist. HC. I've been calling for a strong Assist. HC for some time so that Shanny can concentrate more on the offence. I've long held that Shanny, while a brilliant offensive mind, play caller and play designer, isn't a complete HC. I really think Shanny should hire a respected guy with HC experience to be the Assist. HC.

Assistant HC is a largely meaningless title. Its usually given to an experienced assistant as an honorarium but its like saying assistant to the regional manager. It has zero reflection on the HC's overall responsibilities.

I think this is entirely about moving in a different direction in terms of coaching the TE's.

There might be a coach out there who is suddenly available that Shanahan thinks could be an upgrade or he just felt that Embree wasn't cutting the mustard, eitherway its his prerogative to move on.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by E-49er:

60%!!! Wow, they really don't like him.
Some thing doesn't sound right there. Coaches don't count against the cap so cutting costs there don't add up.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Assistant HC is a largely meaningless title. Its usually given to an experienced assistant as an honorarium but its like saying assistant to the regional manager. It has zero reflection on the HC's overall responsibilities.

I think this is entirely about moving in a different direction in terms of coaching the TE's.

There might be a coach out there who is suddenly available that Shanahan thinks could be an upgrade or he just felt that Embree wasn't cutting the mustard, eitherway its his prerogative to move on.

As someone who acts and sounds like he plays dungeons and dragons… I'm sure McDaniel values honorary titles greatly.
I dont believe its racism. But Wilcots wanted to pull that card in light of the Flores lawsuit and to get more likes on his post. I wonder if they promote Demeco.to asst. HC? Kyle said Demeco is ready to be a HC in his presser.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
If this guy gets credit for how well Kittle has done how come no other TE's have developed into anything special. Not a race issue, dude was just alright and if he didn't want to take the pay cut he's got to go.
Hopefully we get one that will get Kittle more involved in the damn gameplan aside from just staying in to block. I can't say for certain if that's Kyle or if it was Jimmy just not looking his way but something needs to change and Kittle needs more freaking targets. It's a joke how underutilized he was
Share 49ersWebzone