49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 791 users in the forums

Los Angeles Chargers QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I honestly haven't been following this thread too much the last couple weeks, is that what people are saying?

Honestly not really. It's basically how this thread operates. One or two people make a statement like that and then a bunch of people attack the idea as if a large contingent of people are saying it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
For argument sake, it's irrelevant whether Lance's failure with the the Niners is due to coaching or his ability, the issue is he makes more $ than all the other three QBs combined. That is not acceptable for a likely #3 QB.

At this point the team needs to take the cap hit this year which will only increase next year, get whatever draft comp they can receive and let him try to restart his career elsewhere while the team moves on to focusing on winning a championship now.

Please note that my post isn't really meant for the usual suspects on here, but for the media that follows this thread.

It's just time to move on from Lance, it makes sense from a business standpoint and as a professional courtesy to a player still trying to establish himself.

Putting aside us arguing about whether the team supported Trey enough, I agree with the bulk of this. I will say we owe Trey nothing in terms of professional courtesy. We do what's best for us.

It's day 3 of camp though and he still has an opportunity to compete. It will play out.

Actually, professional courtesy is owed. There is such thing as honor.

If Lance doesn't play meaningful snaps in year 3, then the likelihood of him becoming a good starter drastically declines.

But again, it's about him making more $ than all the 3 other QBs combined.

If Purdy is the lock at QB1 and KS is confident that he can get similar production out of Sam Darnold (Steve Young 2.0) and Lance, then you dumb Lance's salary.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

We reporting vibes now?

I keep hearing it, some are getting it from PFT like the above, others are getting it from Florio / Simms; this convo
what do we make of it?
I think they are still hashing things out, so everyone is just guessing; I am seeing this vibe in a lot of places tho


Florio doesn't know s**t, he just says whatever pops into his empty head.

It's funny folks would believe Florio. He's just stirring the pot. He knows it, and pretty sure has admitted as much in the past.

It would take something significant for Darnold to get ahead of Lance. He just doesn't have the same level of overall talent and upside.
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
Actually, professional courtesy is owed. There is such thing as honor.

If Lance doesn't play meaningful snaps in year 3, then the likelihood of him becoming a good starter drastically declines.

But again, it's about him making more $ than all the 3 other QBs combined.

If Purdy is the lock at QB1 and KS is confident that he can get similar production out of Sam Darnold (Steve Young 2.0) and Lance, then you dumb Lance's salary.

We do have to eat a significant portion of that salary though. So we move him when it's worthwhile to us… for example if we get a nice trade offer.

Agree to disagree about owing Lance a courtesy. If anything, he owes us given the investment and the return to this point. This is pro sports. That said, I completely understand your feelings about it and Lance seems like a great kid in a bad spot that he really didn't put himself in.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,078
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I honestly haven't been following this thread too much the last couple weeks, is that what people are saying?

Honestly not really. It's basically how this thread operates. One or two people make a statement like that and then a bunch of people attack the idea as if a large contingent of people are saying it.

You pretty much summed up how it always is. Don't try and act all innocent like you don't do that too.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Jul 28, 2023 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
Actually, professional courtesy is owed. There is such thing as honor.

If Lance doesn't play meaningful snaps in year 3, then the likelihood of him becoming a good starter drastically declines.

But again, it's about him making more $ than all the 3 other QBs combined.

If Purdy is the lock at QB1 and KS is confident that he can get similar production out of Sam Darnold (Steve Young 2.0) and Lance, then you dumb Lance's salary.

We do have to eat a significant portion of that salary though. So we move him when it's worthwhile to us… for example if we get a nice trade offer.

Agree to disagree about owing Lance a courtesy. If anything, he owes us given the investment and the return to this point. This is pro sports. That said, I completely understand your feelings about it and Lance seems like a great kid in a bad spot that he really didn't put himself in.

There is no return on the investment of draft capital or salary for Lance at this point. He had 4 games to prove himself, he got injured, and KS lucked into Purdy and is enamored with Darnold.

You can't keep Lance as the #3 for this year or next because it's to no benefit to the team, especially given his salary.

Also, they are now on the clock to not only resign Aiyuk, but also to pay Purdy as the franchise QB. Yes, Purdy is on a dirt cheap contract, but he has leverage to hold out next offseason until he's paid market rate.

In addition, Lance does have leverage to publicly request a trade. The Niners don't want that tension in their locker room.
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
There is no return on the investment of draft capital or salary for Lance at this point. He had 4 games to prove himself, he got injured, and KS lucked into Purdy and is enamored with Darnold.

You can't keep Lance as the #3 for this year or next because it's to no benefit to the team, especially given his salary.

Also, they are now on the clock to not only resign Aiyuk, but also to pay Purdy as the franchise QB. Yes, Purdy is on a dirt cheap contract, but he has leverage to hold out next offseason until he's paid market rate.

In addition, Lance does have leverage to publicly request a trade. The Niners don't want that tension in their locker room.

I'm not sure Purdy can hold out next year?

I thought there were specific rules about extensions within rookie deals, though I'm not sure what they are.

I doubt Lance makes an issue like that especially publicly. Not only seemingly out of character but it would be a red flag for other teams. He really doesn't have any leverage and he's only one side of a potential trade equation. There has to be a suitor.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
There is no return on the investment of draft capital or salary for Lance at this point. He had 4 games to prove himself, he got injured, and KS lucked into Purdy and is enamored with Darnold.

You can't keep Lance as the #3 for this year or next because it's to no benefit to the team, especially given his salary.

Also, they are now on the clock to not only resign Aiyuk, but also to pay Purdy as the franchise QB. Yes, Purdy is on a dirt cheap contract, but he has leverage to hold out next offseason until he's paid market rate.

In addition, Lance does have leverage to publicly request a trade. The Niners don't want that tension in their locker room.

I'm not sure Purdy can hold out next year?

I thought there were specific rules about extensions within rookie deals, though I'm not sure what they are.

I doubt Lance makes an issue like that especially publicly. Not only seemingly out of character but it would be a red flag for other teams. He really doesn't have any leverage and he's only one side of a potential trade equation. There has to be a suitor.

You're right, Purdy cannot resign until after next year.

However, Lance demanding a trade wouldn't be a red flag to another team. After all, he already stated that he wanted a chance to compete for QB1. He put in the work to improve and wasn't given the opportunity, so he's well within his right to request a trade.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

We reporting vibes now?

I keep hearing it, some are getting it from PFT like the above, others are getting it from Florio / Simms; this convo
what do we make of it?
I think they are still hashing things out, so everyone is just guessing; I am seeing this vibe in a lot of places tho


Florio doesn't know s**t, he just says whatever pops into his empty head.

It's funny folks would believe Florio. He's just stirring the pot. He knows it, and pretty sure has admitted as much in the past.

It would take something significant for Darnold to get ahead of Lance. He just doesn't have the same level of overall talent and upside.

If Darnold beats out Lance Lynch and co have completed fcked up multiple first rounds picks.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
There is no return on the investment of draft capital or salary for Lance at this point. He had 4 games to prove himself, he got injured, and KS lucked into Purdy and is enamored with Darnold.

You can't keep Lance as the #3 for this year or next because it's to no benefit to the team, especially given his salary.

Also, they are now on the clock to not only resign Aiyuk, but also to pay Purdy as the franchise QB. Yes, Purdy is on a dirt cheap contract, but he has leverage to hold out next offseason until he's paid market rate.

In addition, Lance does have leverage to publicly request a trade. The Niners don't want that tension in their locker room.

I'm not sure Purdy can hold out next year?

I thought there were specific rules about extensions within rookie deals, though I'm not sure what they are.

I doubt Lance makes an issue like that especially publicly. Not only seemingly out of character but it would be a red flag for other teams. He really doesn't have any leverage and he's only one side of a potential trade equation. There has to be a suitor.

Yeah Purdy cannot hold out for a new deal until he's been in the NFL for three seasons, so in 2025.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

We reporting vibes now?

I keep hearing it, some are getting it from PFT like the above, others are getting it from Florio / Simms; this convo
what do we make of it?
I think they are still hashing things out, so everyone is just guessing; I am seeing this vibe in a lot of places tho


Florio doesn't know s**t, he just says whatever pops into his empty head.

It's funny folks would believe Florio. He's just stirring the pot. He knows it, and pretty sure has admitted as much in the past.

It would take something significant for Darnold to get ahead of Lance. He just doesn't have the same level of overall talent and upside.
Jack Hammer from the Press Democrat also states that Darnold is ahead of Lance in the QB competition. To be fair, the Press Democrat also employs Cohn obviously but Hammer's takes seem to be more in line with what other beat writers are stating.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by captveg:
If (still a big if) it turns out that Trey Lance was just too raw to be the starting QB on a "win now" team I hope he succeeds elsewhere, presumably traded this next offseason. It's a tough business, and maybe what is best for Lance is to go to a much less talented team overall so he can get the live game reps without the Super Bowl aspirations hanging over him.

Can't fault the team too much for drafting the QB they felt had the best upside in the 2021 draft at their #3 spot. I'd always rather they do that. Life doesn't play out as you always plan, and circumstances vaulted Purdy to the forefront, and his college experience turned out to likely be the biggest difference between how he could perform on this team than how Lance could, with injuries making Lance's time so much more limited.

And for a win-now team, Purdy-Darnold as 1-2 simply makes more sense from an experience standpoint, unless Lance can show that he brings something to the table that compensates for his inexperience.

They are probably challenging TL here, to see if he responds well

I think that's a piece of it. He hasn't had to really earn a spot yet, which I completly understand why. I'm not knocking for him it, but it's good to see how he responds in these kind of situations, especially because you don't know how he responds to adversity on the field. I don't think Lance has had to run a 2 minute drill to win a game in his entire life. Not one that I could find.

so, I think it's good for him to work through these emotions and how to handle it. It's important for his growth.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I honestly haven't been following this thread too much the last couple weeks, is that what people are saying?

Honestly not really. It's basically how this thread operates. One or two people make a statement like that and then a bunch of people attack the idea as if a large contingent of people are saying it.

You pretty much summed up how it always is. Don't try and act all innocent like you don't do that too.

When one or two people say something I disagree with, I don't make it seem like tons of people are saying it. So no, I don't do that too.
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
There is no return on the investment of draft capital or salary for Lance at this point. He had 4 games to prove himself, he got injured, and KS lucked into Purdy and is enamored with Darnold.

You can't keep Lance as the #3 for this year or next because it's to no benefit to the team, especially given his salary.

Also, they are now on the clock to not only resign Aiyuk, but also to pay Purdy as the franchise QB. Yes, Purdy is on a dirt cheap contract, but he has leverage to hold out next offseason until he's paid market rate.

In addition, Lance does have leverage to publicly request a trade. The Niners don't want that tension in their locker room.

Purdy can't hold out - rookie contracts prevent that. He has to complete three years of his contract before he is even eligible for an extension. So he will would have to hold out in 2025 training camp.

i think Lance would talk with his agent and see what kind of market he has before doing that. I don't think they're going to get too many offers, at least ones the team will entertain, if he does that. He really has 0 control over the next two years. He isn't the starter so it really doesn't impact the team and I don't think he's the type of make a scene in the locker room. Even if he did, he isn't one of the leaders of the team
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jul 28, 2023 at 6:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Jack Hammer from the Press Democrat also states that Darnold is ahead of Lance in the QB competition. To be fair, the Press Democrat also employs Cohn obviously but Hammer's takes seem to be more in line with what other beat writers are stating.

Krueger said Lance had really poor body language today, I think he said something like the coaches were yelling at him to throw it cause he held on too long and started running.

Honestly, it's day 3. Lol I view these early days in camp as nothing but learning curves and getting in your rhythm. Mistakes are expected, especially against this defense.

if in a week or two and he's still like this, that would be a concern. He has a few days off now and can just review his practice film and learn from it.

but yeah, reports are that he is currently being outplayed by darnold, but it's just day 3. I'm not gonna lie, I expected darnold to have a few picks by now. Hahah
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone