LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 426 users in the forums

What team does Tom Brady play for in 2020?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What team does Tom Brady play for in 2020?

Originally posted by JedYork510:
Tampa

Yeah I can't see that one happening. Arians is a big play, bomb it down the field guy. Brady doesn't have the arm to attack vertically constantly.
  • Kyzen
The San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles
  • thl408
He's dreamed of playing for his childhood team so he'll come to SF to back up Jimmy.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I would be absolutely shocked if he left. I really don't put much stock into the rumors of him going elsewhere.

I know he airs public quotes about being open to other opportunities and how he's allegedly undecided about returning... I feel like it's all just posturing, and an attempt to leverage NE for more money. I feel like his agent is probably telling him to say that. "New England or bust" is not a very good bargaining stance.

New England was still one of the best teams this year (both by DVOA, and by W-L). They also had a dominant point differential. Maybe if they were a dumpster fire I could see him leaving. I expect them to retool. Maybe Gronk comes back. Maybe they kick the tires on AB again. None of the teams that are realistic possibilities even made the playoffs this year.

It's never been about money with him though, his wife is worth gazillions more than him, and he has actually remained one of the lower/mid-paid QBs so as to help the team on cap. I think his dissatisfaction may be posturing, but it's more likely posturing for draft/free agency help "or else."
Originally posted by kelson49er:
It's never been about money with him though, his wife is worth gazillions more than him, and he has actually remained one of the lower/mid-paid QBs so as to help the team on cap. I think his dissatisfaction may be posturing, but it's more likely posturing for draft/free agency help "or else."
Historically he's taken hometown discounts and been vastly underpaid for sure. But if you believe the recent reports -- and in fairness, this could be total horses**t -- he allegedly isn't interested in taking less money anymore:

First of all, does he go back to the New England Patriots? He's an unrestricted free agent and the Patriots cannot franchise him. I'm told if he does go back to the Patriots, he doesn't want to do the same hometown discount he's done in the past.

This is from Jay Glazer. Again, I will totally concede that Glazer's sources could be something he pulled out of his ass.
By the way, your theory of posturing in an effort to strong-arm the front office into influencing some of their moves (perhaps taking a bit more of a win-now approach?) does make a lot of sense too. I could be on board with that theory as well.
I'd guess he comes back on a 2 year deal with the Patriots.

Second highest probability would be retirement.

Third highest probability would be if McDaniels takes the Panthers job he may go to Carolina.

There really isn't another contender-type team that is a 43-year old QB away from a title that could compel Brady to sign there.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I'd guess he comes back on a 2 year deal with the Patriots.

Second highest probability would be retirement.

Third highest probability would be if McDaniels takes the Panthers job he may go to Carolina.

There really isn't another contender-type team that is a 43-year old QB away from a title that could compel Brady to sign there.
Pretty much how how I feel.

I was trying to think of precedents to this, but it's hard to find a comparable situation. Like, when Manning left the Colts, he was an unknown with the neck injury, plus they had Andrew Luck - probably the best QB prospect since Manning. Favre left the Packers, but only because of his annual retirement drama, plus Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. The Montana situation was pretty similar to Manning... Young was there, and Montana was an unknown durability-wise. The Pats don't have a complete unknown at backup. So, right there, I see a lot of incentive for New England to keep him.

When Manning was a free agent, he had a chance to join our 13-3 team that had just made it to the NFCCG. If there was a situation like that for Brady, I could see it being appealing. But Colts, Chargers, Panthers, Dolphins, Raiders... not sure if any of those teams are on the cusp. I know a quarterback can make a big difference, but is Brady an elite talent anymore -- or is he good/solid? I know he didn't have the greatest supporting cast, but he dropped to 19th in passer rating.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he plays with the New England Patriots or retires. I can't see him with another team.

If rice, montana, favre, etc can play in a different uniform, so could brady.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I bet he ends his career in Cali close to his family. LA it is.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think he retires
Joins the Boston mob with Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, John Cena, etc...
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
It seems fairly impossible to me to walk away after two decades. New home, new calls, new teammates, new schemes, new coaches. Why would you do that? I don't think he is even any good. He hardly works in BBs wheelhouse. If he is not playing in the worst division of pro football he'd be killed out there. Just image he plays the front sevens in the NFC or AFC West twice a year.
Come back home and be Jimmy G's QB coach
Originally posted by susweel:
I think he retires

HIs last throw, the pick 6, may motivate him to come back and try one more year. I cannot see him end his career like that.
Share 49ersWebzone