There are 214 users in the forums

How good is Josh Rosen?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I've been living under a metaphorical rock this past off season living in the Middle East, watching mostly early 1 pm games and 8:30 pm games......with maybe 1/3rd Niner games.

I cannot recall watching Rosen play the entire season, and the Cards' struggles meant I never was going to watch him.

Curious how good he is? I heard a rumor that the Cards new HC likes Kyler Murray.....

Regardless of whether the Cards go after Murray, will we have to worry about Rosen or is he hopefully a Russell Wilson type who needs to rely on other parts of the team/luck to win?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I've been living under a metaphorical rock this past off season living in the Middle East, watching mostly early 1 pm games and 8:30 pm games......with maybe 1/3rd Niner games.

I cannot recall watching Rosen play the entire season, and the Cards' struggles meant I never was going to watch him.

Curious how good he is? I heard a rumor that the Cards new HC likes Kyler Murray.....

Regardless of whether the Cards go after Murray, will we have to worry about Rosen or is he hopefully a Russell Wilson type who needs to rely on other parts of the team/luck to win?

Rosen looks like crap, but too early to tell if he'll be any good. Kindda like with Goff's first season.
New HC mentioned that he liked Murray back in october. Way before he was the cards HC or knew where they'd be picking. Irrelevant statement.
Rosen reminds me of Eli, protect him and give him weapons and I think he'll do very well, but without them there's nothing about him to improvise and just get the job done.

I'm not sure why you mentioned Russell, as much as I dislike him this is exactly the trait that allows him to succeed with substandard protection.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Not better than Kyler Murray
  • dj43
Impossible to tell at this point in his career. AZ was a train wreck all season long. Too many missing pieces.

The kid has skills but clearly lacked proper mentoring. One of the reasons Wilks was fired was the inability of his staff to teach Rosen how to play.

Of course 95% of the time you put a raw rookie into a starting role he is going to look bad.
hes the next Jared Goff.

If he had a McVay type of coach, he'd succeed. But Klingsberry probably isn't the answer. He'll probably run a gimmicky college offense like Chip Kelly
  • dj43
I recently came across an article about how Patrick Mahomes came to be drafted by the Chiefs. In a nutshell, his agent, Leigh Steinberg, encouraged KC GM Brett Veach to draft Mahomes because he saw the three necessary components for a young QB to have success. Here is a quote from the article:

"Steinberg, a longtime agent who in the 1990s represented a gaggle of star quarterbacks, believed fit mattered more than draft position. He sought for Mahomes an organization with an experienced and welcoming incumbent quarterback he could learn from; a coach who understood how to groom quarterbacks; a stable franchise; and a solid offensive line and quality skill players. In Alex Smith, Andy Reid and the Chiefs, Steinberg saw an ideal fit."

Rosen didn't fit in AZ for all of the reasons Steinberg mentioned.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Blows real well......
Originally posted by dj43:
I recently came across an article about how Patrick Mahomes came to be drafted by the Chiefs. In a nutshell, his agent, Leigh Steinberg, encouraged KC GM Brett Veach to draft Mahomes because he saw the three necessary components for a young QB to have success. Here is a quote from the article:

"Steinberg, a longtime agent who in the 1990s represented a gaggle of star quarterbacks, believed fit mattered more than draft position. He sought for Mahomes an organization with an experienced and welcoming incumbent quarterback he could learn from; a coach who understood how to groom quarterbacks; a stable franchise; and a solid offensive line and quality skill players. In Alex Smith, Andy Reid and the Chiefs, Steinberg saw an ideal fit."

Good info
I'd just like to take this opportunity to personally thank Josh Rosen for presiding over 2 victories against the Niners this season. That awesomeness has positioned the Niners to draft a dude who's likely going troll him constantly, steal his lunch money, and make sure it (Cards win) never happens again.
So thanks Josh.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
I'd just like to take this opportunity to personally thank Josh Rosen for presiding over 2 victories against the Niners this season. That awesomeness has positioned the Niners to draft a dude who's likely going troll him constantly, steal his lunch money, and make sure it (Cards win) never happens again.
So thanks Josh.

Josh says, "you're welcome my good man, but actually, I suck quite well...you can thank Saleh for allowing my sorry ass to (luckily) score a few points on you guys. ALSO if I'm lucky again, your FO will force Saleh to use Bosa, Williams or whoever you guys get, to play five positions / out of position which may help me to beat you guys again"
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

His upside is something like Carson Palmer/Matt Ryan/Eli Manning: pro style QB that can make some nice throws. He flashed some of that as a rookie.

Overall, his rookie year was like a baseball #1 pick who got a taste of reality competing against men in A ball. Rosen throws a pretty ball, but it'll take more than that at this level. TBH I would go with Murray over Rosen, but I think ARI is doubling down on Rosen. They are likely banking on Kingsbury to let Rosen sling the ball and become a great QB.
Originally posted by Garce:
Not better than Kyler Murray

Kyler Murray is also like 5'9". If Rosen came out this year he'd be the #1 QB in this draft class.
When its all said and done, he could be the greatest QB of our time, but I've only seen him play twice.
Originally posted by dj43:

There are some concerns about Rosen but the Cardinals put him in about as bad of a position as you can put a rookie QB in. Like all the stuff you're not supposed to do when developing a young quarterback, they went and did.

-Failure to find a quality bridge QB. Sam Bradford came in, played like he was ready to retire and Rosen got thrown into action sooner than expected

-Awful offensive coaching staff. Mike McCoy was fired after 6 games in Denver last year. So naturally the Cardinals brought him in and he bumbled his way through 6 games before getting canned. Byron Leftwich did slightly better but he was an inexperienced, first-time playcaller that somewhat reminded me of Mike Johnson when he took over for the 49ers in 2010. Improvement, still not great.

-Terrible offensive line. You have a QB who already isn't super mobile, they let him get his face kicked in repeatedly. Keim has been dropping big FA $ and draft picks on OL left and right and it was an absolute and utter debacle. Not sure how they are going to fix it but they have too many mediocre players as well as overpaid, injury prone guys(Iupati and Pugh).

-Possibly the worst receiver group in football. Fitz is still Fitz, although he's noticeably lost a step. Christian Kirk was solid for the most part but had an issue with drops. Every other receiver on the roster was straight garbage and incredibly unreliable. Crucial third down drops were a constant theme throughout the season.

-Lack of run game. This overlaps with the OL since they couldn't really pass or run block but David Johnson was well off his previous career averages. He struggled coming back after being injured last year. No dependable run game put even more pressure on Rosen.

Truthfully I have no idea how good Rosen can be due to how badly the situation around him was completely FUBARed. He does have a tendency to overthrow passes and he seems to especially need a relatively clean pocket to produce consistently but I expect better performance from him next season, especially if the Cardinals can upgrade their OL and receiver group.
Share 49ersWebzone