LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 342 users in the forums

How good is Josh Rosen?

Shop 49ers game tickets
It is possible that with a coach like Shanahan, Rosen could take some forward steps and become a starting NFL quarterback. Possible. More likely, though, that next year he is in the CFL. The problem being between his ears, there is no guarantee that he would even listen to Shanahan. But 3 years and 3 teams and he is in the practice squad. In a qb hungry league he hasn't made it.

With Garoppolo, Mullens and Beathard, I don't see any drive to take Rosen. Why didn't Miami work on developing him as a backup? Or for trade bait? Clearly they had given up.
Who ?
Originally posted by Chief:
HOF

Truth!

A really good offensive coach can turn an average QB into a great one. Bill Walsh could have turned a piece of granite into the next big NFL thing because Bill Walsh molded QB's, even average QB's, into great players.

Kyle Shanahan has a ways to go before he can be put into the Walsh category, but he's already shown that he has some chops in the "developing QB's" category. If anyone could turn around Josh Rosen's career, it would be Shanny.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by billbird2111:
HOF

Truth!

A really good offensive coach can turn an average QB into a great one. Bill Walsh could have turned a piece of granite into the next big NFL thing because Bill Walsh molded QB's, even average QB's, into great players.

Kyle Shanahan has a ways to go before he can be put into the Walsh category, but he's already shown that he has some chops in the "developing QB's" category. If anyone could turn around Josh Rosen's career, it would be Shanny.

this is comical. it's always a two way street. great coaches help great QBs but the QB has to have the IT.

Bill Walsh drafted Giovanni Carmazzi instead of Tom Brady. lolz
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
HOF

Truth!

this is comical. it's always a two way street. great coaches help great QBs but the QB has to have the IT.

Bill Walsh drafted Giovanni Carmazzi instead of Tom Brady. lolz

I said Bill Walsh was a great developer of QB's. I will whole-heartedly agree with you that he wasn't the best at drafting talent.

Everyone remembers his draft hits: Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, etc.

Nobody remembers his misses: James Owens, Tom Seabron, Blanchard Montgomery, etc.

And, yes, Giovanni Carmazzi instead of Tom Brady.
That was a big swing and miss as was Tim Rattay the other QB they drafted. Keep in mind that Walsh was the GM and not the coach at that time so he didn't really work on Carmazzis' development. the way he did on Montana's. He and Mariucci knew that he was raw and they drafted him purely on his physical traits which were impressive. Unfortunately the other things you need were missing. There was also a 2nd round guard from USC that turned out to be a roid rager and drug user. Jeff Bregal. Hollywood Henderson and Lawrence Phillips that Walsh took a chance on as free agents. Yes he had his share of misses but far more successes.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Sep 23, 2020 at 1:31 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
That was a big swing and miss as was Tim Rattay the other QB they drafted. Keep in mind that Walsh was the GM and not the coach at that time so he didn't really work on Carmazzis' development. the way he did on Montana's. He and Mariucci knew that he was raw and they drafted him purely on his physical traits which were impressive. Unfortunately the other things you need were missing. There was also a 2nd round guard from USC that turned out to be a roid rager and drug user. Jeff Bregal. Hollywood Henderson and Lawrence Phillips that Walsh took a chance on as free agents. Yes he had his share of misses but far more successes.

The Ratt was a 7th rounder, not sure that qualifies as a swing and miss.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
It is possible that with a coach like Shanahan, Rosen could take some forward steps and become a starting NFL quarterback. Possible. More likely, though, that next year he is in the CFL. The problem being between his ears, there is no guarantee that he would even listen to Shanahan. But 3 years and 3 teams and he is in the practice squad. In a qb hungry league he hasn't made it.

With Garoppolo, Mullens and Beathard, I don't see any drive to take Rosen. Why didn't Miami work on developing him as a backup? Or for trade bait? Clearly they had given up.

Shanahan is a killer X's and O's guy but developing QB's i'm not so sure.
My only reason why Shanahan doesn't want to deal with Rosen is his attitude. According to most of draft reviews, Rosen has a cocky attitude towards the coaching staff specially when coaches tell him to do this/fix that. This is clearly a red flag for Shanahan and doesn't have time to believe he has changed his way.
[ Edited by NIMV4683 on Sep 23, 2020 at 1:56 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by English:

Shanahan is a killer X's and O's guy but developing QB's i'm not so sure.

Developing or scouting .

• MarkD
  • Veteran
If you have to ask he isn't that good.
Share 49ersWebzone