LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Who is better, Cousins or Smith?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who is better, Cousins or Smith?

I wonder what fans on other teams' message boards say? I hear that is the gold standard of excellence.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I wonder what fans on other teams' message boards say? I hear that is the gold standard of excellence.

LOL. I'll send you some links I have saved in a word document. It may surprise you
Mods, can you remove this thread at the request of the OP?
Originally posted by sacniner:
Mods, can you remove this thread at the request of the OP?

Why not leave it? Nothing should be deleted here. Let it all stand as a matter of record.
  • dj43
A better discussion would be just about Kirk Cousins. As was noted in the broadcast last night, Cousins has not been worth the money he was paid. That is worth discussing.

We don't need another Alex Smith thread.

OP: PM a mod.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
So do I get to post in here or nah?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I'd take Alex 100x over that bum Cousins. Cannot believe so many Niner fans wanted to sink this franchise and turn it into the Redskins 2.0 last year by begging for Cousin's bum ass
  • dj43
Originally posted by Furlow:

Let's stick to Cousins. Go.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Furlow:

Let's stick to Cousins. Go.

I'm glad we didn't get him. Lol.

They're fairly similar QBs, both in terms of skills and weaknesses, and in terms of where I'd slot them.

The upside for Alex is that he's a little bit more athletic, whereas the upside for Cousins is he's a little more willing to throw beyond the sticks.

(Don't @ me with Smith's one season two years ago in KC. He showed that he's compliant enough to operate in what Reid wanted to do -- I'm talking about his tendencies/preferences across his entire career as a player).
Cousins is looking like Brad Johnson in TB. Came in as the missing link but doesn't look so hot. Brad ended up winning a SB there though.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 12, 2018 at 6:09 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Cousins is looking like Brad Johnson in TB.

People are wildly overstating the fall off of Cousins in Minnesota.

He's at or above his career averages for all the stats that matter this year.

People think he's under performing for three reasons I think:

(1) The Vikings brought him in to take them over the top and instead the team is floundering.
(2) He got so much money that people's expectations have raised, and they're misinterpreting equivalent/marginally better play as if it's worse play.
(3) By chance he happened to put up his biggest stinker of the year on the national stage.

Long story short, the Vikings season is definitely a disappointment, but Cousins is looking like EXACTLY who he has always been, and who they paid for: A pretty good QB who isn't one of the best QBs.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Dec 12, 2018 at 6:20 AM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
People are wildly overstating the fall off of Cousins in Minnesota.

He's at or above his career averages for all the stats that matter this year.

People think he's under performing for three reasons I think:

(1) The Vikings brought him in to take them over the top and instead the team is floundering.
(2) He got so much money that people's expectations have raised, and they're misinterpreting equivalent/marginally better play as if it's worse play.
(3) By chance he happened to put up his biggest stinker of the year on the national stage.

Long story short, the Vikings season is definitely a disappointment, but Cousins is looking like EXACTLY who he has always been, and who they paid for: A pretty good QB who isn't one of the best QBs.

It's a fair point but Minn has elite weapons and a top 5 d he should be at his peak performance not career average. He's not far off that but people are expecting him to be north of 100 qb rating/ 70 qbr which he has done before. As of right he's like the 12th best qb and that can easily get you a .500 record in this league.

Winning is obviously the #1 factor. Min had SB expectations and they're nowhere near it.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 12, 2018 at 6:41 AM ]
Would the Vikings have a better record with Smith instead of Cousins?

Let me know if this warrants it's own poll
Share 49ersWebzone