There are 266 users in the forums

"4-3 Under" Future DC Search

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I don't think the 9ers have to be married to a 4-3. I have to push back on the idea they don't have 3-4 personnel. Thomas and Buckner are absolutely 3-4 ends. Jones easily could play nose. Warner an Foster would be fine inside in a 3-4. Just lack the olbs.

If Bowles gets fired you absolutely need to consider him. Chuck Pagano is also intriguing if he's completely healthy.

Bowles is not married to a scheme per se. He has coached both fronts and has even ran different fronts in a season depending on match up and personnel available to him.

Fans here would still complain whenever his aggressive tendencies would cost us points. There is no clear cut winning for any candidate no matter who we would hire.

Paired with Kyle, I don't think it would be a bad thing. Now if Bowles were the DC on those Harbaugh 49ers when games were closer than they should've been, there would be a problem. Bowles would be a perfect match for Kyle. A guy that can call plays and can cause offenses absolute fits. Our pass rush would not be a problem. NY would be foolish to fire him at this point. What could they have expected this year? But if they do, yes, Kyle needs to make the move and get him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I doubt Bowles will get fired but if he did....

Dude is the master of manufacturing pass rush as long as you get him two reliable CBs. He's a great playcaller and known as one of the best at in-game adjustments. His triple A gap blitzes are the stuff of nightmares for OL's and QBs.

3 straight losing seasons. Young QB. Jets owner will want an offensive coach I'd imagine. Not saying it's a smart move but it's New York. If it's 3 straight 5-11 seasons it's hard to think he will get another year.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Were you guys in a coma when Jets signed Bowles and their GM to contract extensions during the offseason?
Originally posted by FL9er:
Were you guys in a coma when Jets signed Bowles and their GM to contract extensions during the offseason?

Nope. But 3 straight bad seasons rarely gets anyone another no matter the extensions.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Two year extensions through 2020. That doesn't mean they are wedded to Bowles for life. If the Jets are seen as taking a step back and with a young quarterback that they heavily invested picks to get, they might very well be tempted to move on to an offensive minded head coach instead.

If Bowles for some reason came available, I'd be all for it. He's a very aggressive defensive playcaller to pair up with a very aggressive offensive playcaller in Shanahan. Plus it would trigger Cardinals fans endlessly and I'm all about that life.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 30, 2018 at 6:28 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9moon:
4-3 coaches

Jack Del Rio
Leslie Frazier
Lovie Smith

got better idea Mr. Mod??
I like this thread, it's better than just constantly moaning about Saleh, unfounded or not.

I would like Todd Bowles as well, but I can't see the Jets firing him, same goes for Dan Quinn.

I get the sentiment behind a position coach but it's likely we experience the same teething problems Saleh has had, I think it's an experienced DC or keep Saleh and let him develop.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Oct 3, 2018 at 9:51 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Mike stoops just became available
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I like this thread, it's better than just constantly moaning about Saleh, unfounded or not.

I would like Todd Bowles as well, but I can't see the Jets firing him, same goes for Dan Quinn.

I get the sentiment behind a position coach but it's likely we experience the same teething problems Saleh has had, I think it's an experienced DC or keep Saleh and let him develop.

Dan Quinn won't get fired because he has 4 years left on a new extension from offseason.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Dan Quinn won't get fired because he has 4 years left on a new extension from offseason.

I know, I said I'd like him but can't see it. Never say never though, even with their injuries they should be better, if he turns in a 4-12 season?

The only position coach I'd consider is Kris Richard, coached the Legion of Boom and pretty well regarded, though I still think we'd have the same sort of teething problems, you also have to wonder why Carroll didn't make him DC.

Saleh is smart and I think will self scout himself to being a good DC, it's just how long that takes.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Oct 8, 2018 at 2:21 AM ]

Jeff Fisher as our DC anyone ?
Should of went after fangio last year
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I know, I said I'd like him but can't see it. Never say never though, even with their injuries they should be better, if he turns in a 4-12 season?

The only position coach I'd consider is Kris Richard, coached the Legion of Boom and pretty well regarded, though I still think we'd have the same sort of teething problems, you also have to wonder why Carroll didn't make him DC.

Saleh is smart and I think will self scout himself to being a good DC, it's just how long that takes.

Richard was the defensive coordinator for 3 seasons. Carroll elected not to resign him in the off-season. Which was a bit strange because the defense performed well under him. I advocated strong in the off-season for the team to bring him in as a defensive passing game coordinator type of role to be an extra resource to help Saleh.

Instead Dallas scooped him up in the exact same role. I doubt Dallas will let him go now. They really seem to like him. Their pass defense is playing well under him and they are starting to transition some of the defensive play calling over to him.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 8, 2018 at 4:21 AM ]
Originally posted by SF_Warrior:

it's dark times when we want lousy Jeff Fisher lol
Originally posted by SF_Warrior:

Share 49ersWebzone