There are 256 users in the forums

"4-3 Under" Future DC Search

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Hire Pete Carroll as DC once the Seahawks fire him, because its clear that his coaching tree is complete garbage outside of him. Gus Bradley and Saleh are huge failures. We don't have to change the scheme. The Seahawks defense looks way better than ours, which is pretty sad considering that they only have Wagner, KJ Wright, and Earl now. Something is not adding up here.....

Carroll is never getting fired. He decides when he's done in Seattle.
+1

That SB title and record vs the 49ers gives him a lot of leeway.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
The entire league uses '4-3 under' fronts. 4-3 under is not a scheme, it's an alignment.

The elements that compromise this system are one gap from 4-3 under alignment, eight-man box, cover 3 with match principles, a premium on athleticism and speed, tall/long corners, etc.
Yeah just change the thread title to 'Future DC search'.
How about Vance Joseph when he's fired after this season? I think he runs more of a man coverage scheme so not sure Kyle wants that. Just throwing it out there as a DC with HC experience. I don't really see great defensive results where Joseph has gone. His best times were when he worked under Marvin Lewis.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Hire Pete Carroll as DC once the Seahawks fire him, because its clear that his coaching tree is complete garbage outside of him. Gus Bradley and Saleh are huge failures. We don't have to change the scheme. The Seahawks defense looks way better than ours, which is pretty sad considering that they only have Wagner, KJ Wright, and Earl now. Something is not adding up here.....

Carroll is never getting fired. He decides when he's done in Seattle.

He could get fired. He will not ever be anything other than a hc in the nfl.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
don't the Lions play 4-3? So do the Dolphins.

Talking about the 4-3 Under specifically.

Schematically it's what the Seahawks and 49ers run, so a better coach allows the team to get success faster while not modifying the scheme all that much. I obviously leave off Seattle because I think only Pete Carroll would be legit to run that defense from that team, and that's obviously never going to happen here.

Now, a legit 4-3 DC of any type I'd be game for.

3-4 could work too I guess since Philipps converted a 4-3 team in the Rams, but for the most part I think only Fangio would be worth going back to the 3-4 for, and it seems we have more 4-3 personnel at this point anyways.

I see your point but Saleh isn't going anywhere. Him and Kyle go back 10 years...
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Let this be a thread to look at potential replacements for Saleh (if needed).

List of teams that play 4-3 Under right now around the league outside of 49ers and Seahawks:

Jaguars
Falcons
Chargers

You're not going to take the current DCs from these teams obviously. So the question is which assistant coaches are reasonable here?

Normally I'd say DB coaches are prime candidates to become coordinators.

Also as a complete tangent, the other 4-3 DC I really like is Rod Marinelli with Cowboys. I like his scheme and his guys are rarely ever out of position.......very sound DC. To me he's the 4-3 equivalent of Fangio. Low on the flash, high on the substance. Also schematically, he has given Wilson tons of fits.

Would love Marinelli if the Cowboys think he's the issue, but doubtful.

Gotta imagine the Jags defensive staff not only knows the 4-3 under well, but it seems like their talent acquisition is the best so far in the NFL. Stud after stud, my god.

If we get one of these studs as a DC next year to go with an elite edge, it will start to feel like 2011 again........maybe.

Isn't that how they ended up with sealeh the young up and coming defenseive coach? if you are going to replace him it has to be with experience if not they are prolly going to ride it out and allow him to gain experience one more year. Just don't see another inexperienced coach taking his place.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think Marinelli could be an option next season if Garret gets fired - new HC will likely want his own DC.

His mouth though.
I don't think the 9ers have to be married to a 4-3. I have to push back on the idea they don't have 3-4 personnel. Thomas and Buckner are absolutely 3-4 ends. Jones easily could play nose. Warner an Foster would be fine inside in a 3-4. Just lack the olbs.

If Bowles gets fired you absolutely need to consider him. Chuck Pagano is also intriguing if he's completely healthy.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 29, 2018 at 9:57 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I don't think the 9ers have to be married to a 4-3. I have to push back on the idea they don't have 3-4 personnel. Thomas and Buckner are absolutely 3-4 ends. Jones easily could play nose. Warner an Foster would be fine inside in a 3-4. Just lack the olbs.

If Bowles gets fired you absolutely need to consider him. Chuck Pagano is also intriguing if he's completely healthy.

Bowles is not married to a scheme per se. He has coached both fronts and has even ran different fronts in a season depending on match up and personnel available to him.

Fans here would still complain whenever his aggressive tendencies would cost us points. There is no clear cut winning for any candidate no matter who we would hire.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think Marinelli could be an option next season if Garret gets fired - new HC will likely want his own DC.

Depends... Nagy wanted to keep Fangio in Chicago.

If Dallas fires Garrett, they could possibly promote Marinelli. Or hire an offensive minded HC who would want to keep him around.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
4-3 coaches

Jack Del Rio
Leslie Frazier
Lovie Smith

I doubt Bowles will get fired but if he did....

Dude is the master of manufacturing pass rush as long as you get him two reliable CBs. He's a great playcaller and known as one of the best at in-game adjustments. His triple A gap blitzes are the stuff of nightmares for OL's and QBs.
Originally posted by 9moon:
4-3 coaches

Jack Del Rio
Leslie Frazier
Lovie Smith

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I doubt Bowles will get fired but if he did....

Dude is the master of manufacturing pass rush as long as you get him two reliable CBs. He's a great playcaller and known as one of the best at in-game adjustments. His triple A gap blitzes are the stuff of nightmares for OL's and QBs.

I want him bad. He can turn this defense into something spectacular. There is literally no excuse for this defense to perform so poorly. They have talent in on all three levels of the defense.
I agree with Todd Bowles. If he becomes available this off season, Shanahan and Lynch should go after him. KS didn't have much to choose from because of his super bowl year with ATL for his assistant coaches.

I agree, I think our personnel is more of a fit for the 3-4 anyway. Draft and sign pass rushers and we'll be in good shape. If only we traded up for Landry :(
Share 49ersWebzone