Khalil Mack thread

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by valrod33:
two firsts, armstead and ward for Mack. DO IT

f**k that 2 1sts...people need to calm down with giving up a million 1sts rd picks lol. Dude isn't a QB and wants to be PAID like one.

1st this yr 2nd next yr and a player depending on who...that's what it should be at MOST. IF some teams wants to throw multiple 1sts and pay him that kind of cash good luck. He's a amazing player but only QBs are worth that type of trade comp IMHO.

I think with Kalil you have a dynasty. AGain, just my opinion, but a guy like Aldon changed a mediocre defense to elite - same with Fred and Haley enabled the 49ers to have the longest away game win streak in NFL League history and almost had a 3peat. Edge rushers aren't QB's - agree, but they are darn near the impact players that QB's are. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but elite edge rushers are the second most expensive player on a team, the first being the QB.
Mack isn't as good as those players mentioned, if he showed anything like Aldon in his early years then it's a no brainer but he's not

40 sacks in 4 seasons...Mack won DPOY his 3rd season in and has already been a 2x all-pro. Some of you are just devaluing him too much.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think with Kalil you have a dynasty. AGain, just my opinion, but a guy like Aldon changed a mediocre defense to elite - same with Fred and Haley enabled the 49ers to have the longest away game win streak in NFL League history and almost had a 3peat. Edge rushers aren't QB's - agree, but they are darn near the impact players that QB's are. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but elite edge rushers are the second most expensive player on a team, the first being the QB.

Lockdown CBs cost just as much and one of the best young ones in the league (Marcus Peters) got traded for 2018 4th rd pick and a 2019 2nd rd pick AND he still had 2 yrs left on a rookie deal

Again he's not a QB which is the value people are placing on him in a trade. So we're gonna throw down $100 million on him plus give up 2 1st rd picks, give Jimmy G a but load of cash, AND look to pay Buckner and Fletcher Cox like contract?

Like Gurden said Oakland had the 23rd ranked defense WITH Mack on the field. So no I don't agree a edge player has damn near the same impact as a QB (which is what people are valuing him as far as trade compensation goes).

Why does a player like Chandler Jones only cost a 2nd and a sub par OG? Dude only had 4 less sacks in the same amount of time as Mack and was younger?

Why does a player like Chandler Jones only cost a 2nd and a sub par OG? Dude only had 4 less sacks in the same amount of time as Mack and was younger?

Dear lord, what the hell was the hoodie thinking here? Robbery doesn't describe what transpired there.

Chandler Jones is top 3 edge in the NFL. Maybe the best.
Originally posted by jcs:

40 sacks in 4 seasons...Mack won DPOY his 3rd season in and has already been a 2x all-pro. Some of you are just devaluing him too much.

Chandler Jones had 36 sacks, a pro-bowl, and was 2 yrs younger when he got traded (also on a 5th yr option). He didn't cost any remotely close to what people are throwing out there (2nd rd pick and Jonathan Cooper)...a couple 1sts? stop.

Mack is a stud no doubt, they should just pay the man...he's not worth multiple 1st rd picks AND paying $100 million on top of it.

I think people are overvaluing him.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
https://www.12up.com/posts/6137701-report-raiders-could-end-up-trading-khalil-mack-due-to-his-holdout

Here is just one of many articles. Everybody wants their team to go after him and I'm sure everyone here would say pull the trigger if a deal could be made.

What would you offer as a trade if you were Lynch and if you don't think we have a chance at getting him, where do you think he lands?

I'd trade the 2019 1st round pick, 2020 3d, and Arik Armstead. Then sign him long term to complete the holy trinity of franchise qb, shutdown corner, and dominant pass rusher.

Who would that be?
Originally posted by Heroism:

Dear lord, what the hell was the hoodie thinking here? Robbery doesn't describe what transpired there.

Chandler Jones is top 3 edge in the NFL. Maybe the best.

Right! I don't know how you could justify giving up a butt load of 1st rd picks (and pay $100 million) after a trade like that....Mack is a stud and would love to see him in the red and gold BUT not to that extent.

I'd throw a 1st in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 at the MOST. IF they want more tell them good luck.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Mack is a proven entity on a position of high value in the NFL...debatably as valuable or just below a QB. If he gets moved it will be for a kings ransom...2 firsts are the base.

There's not a single position group in the big four sports of this country that even comes close to the level of impact as the QB.

Two firsts may be what the Raiders ask for. I have no doubt that is true. Two 1sts is just a moronic move for this team to make for Mack considering you also have to dump over $100M (most of it guaranteed) into him.

Didn't Chandler Jones lead the NFL in sacks last year? How did the Cardinals do? Hell, how did the Raiders do WITH Mack?

His impact is disproportionate to the trade comp you're suggesting.

I'm not making the case against Mack. I'm making the case against the internet suggested price.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Mack is a proven entity on a position of high value in the NFL...debatably as valuable or just below a QB. If he gets moved it will be for a kings ransom...2 firsts are the base.

There's not a single position group in the big four sports of this country that even comes close to the level of impact as the QB.

Two firsts may be what the Raiders ask for. I have no doubt that is true. Two 1sts is just a moronic move for this team to make for Mack considering you also have to dump over $100M (most of it guaranteed) into him.

Didn't Chandler Jones lead the NFL in sacks last year? How did the Cardinals do? Hell, how did the Raiders do WITH Mack?

I'm not making the case against Mack. I'm making the case against the internet suggested price.
What does C.Jones have to do with the current value of K.Mack...just as an example we landed Jimmy for a 2nd but that was with just 3 starts to his name. Mack is already a 2x all pro and former DPOY who is looking to potentially move, an instant star to a team where Jones and Jimmy were still in development when they were eventually moved.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

What does C.Jones have to do with the current value of K.Mack...just as an example we landed Jimmy for a 2nd but that was with just 3 starts to his name. Mack is already a 2x all pro and former DPOY who is looking to potentially move, an instant star to a team where Jones and Jimmy were still in development when they were eventually moved.

Yes, Kahlil Mack is all of those things. That doesn't change the fact that his position, even at an elite level, does not impact the game like a QB -- which is why the Jones comp is used. Moreover, needing to hand him a brand new $100M+ contract on day one further limits his trade value.

Chandler Jones had 36 sacks, a pro-bowl, and was 2 yrs younger when he got traded (also on a 5th yr option). He didn't cost any remotely close to what people are throwing out there (2nd rd pick and Jonathan Cooper)...a couple 1sts? stop.

Mack is a stud no doubt, they should just pay the man...he's not worth multiple 1st rd picks AND paying $100 million on top of it.

VERY good post!

Excellent call on Chandler Jones.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
We are in rebuilding mode and not one pass rusher away from winning the super bowl. Wouldn't mortgage the future for him.

I would give up a 2019 1st and a 2020 2nd. But not two firsts. If somebody outbids that... so be it.

Good call!

Everyone is one injury away from being out of football.

2 1sts rounders is too much to give

I think people are getting swept up in the sexiness of the position. But an elite pass rusher doesn't even have the same impact on the game as slightly above average QB. Elite pass rushers impact moments. Whereas top QBs impact the game much more broadly. The QB comparison is valid here simply because people are tossing around trade comp for a pass rusher that equals that of what a top QB could fetch.

Mack is awesome. Would love to have him. And we should absolutely explore trading for him. Moreover, we should absolutely give him that monster contract. But you can't give him that monster contract AND give away that kind of trade comp.

Bingo!

Here's another article

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/8/8/17664256/khalil-mack-trade-rumors-49ers-what-would-you-trade

What do you mean what does Jones have to do with the value of Mack? Jones got traded for a 2nd and Jonathan cooper....he had 4 less sacks then Mack in the same time span and was also on the 5th yr option. He was 2 yrs younger at the pt of the trade and wasn't asking to be paid as much as Von Miller....AND NE ONLY got a 2nd and a below avg guard!

Multiple 1sts is a boneheaded evaluation of Mack IMO.

IF some team offered multiple 1sts and I'm Oakland I'm making that trade as fast as possible.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

What do you mean what does Jones have to do with the value of Mack? Jones got traded for a 2nd and Jonathan cooper....he had 4 less sacks then Mack in the same time span and was also on the 5th yr option. He was 2 yrs younger at the pt of the trade and wasn't asking to be paid as much as Von Miller....AND NE ONLY got a 2nd and a below avg guard!

Multiple 1sts is a boneheaded evaluation of Mack IMO.

IF some team offered multiple 1sts and I'm Oakland I'm making that trade as fast as possible.
Jones was a 1st time probowl player in his 4th season when he was moved. Mack is again, today a 3x probowler, 2x 1st team all-pro and DPOY, just 27 years old and 4 years into his career.
[ Edited by jcs on Aug 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

VERY good post!

Excellent call on Chandler Jones.

Yeah the trade value people are throwing out is straight up ridiculous, like oakid stated it's all about the sexiest of the name/position nothing more. You can't tell me a pass rusher is worth that much, while a comparable player is worth 70% less. You can't tell me someone like Peters who's a top flight CB (with two yrs left on a rookie deal) is only worth a 2nd and 4th and plays a position that's damn near just as valuable...

Mack is a badass love to have him, but not for what some people think is a decent trade.
Jones was a 1st time probowl player in his 4th season when he was moved. Mack is again, today a 3x probowler, 2x 1st team all-pro and DPOY, just 27 years old and 4 years into his career.

Who cares about pro-bowls...their production was damn near the same AND he was 2 yrs younger (25) than Mack when he was traded. IF anything Jones was more valuable then Mack being 25 and not asking to be the highest paid player on defense.

There play does not warrant the deference in trade compensation you're throwing out there, no way.
Share 49ersWebzone