LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Shop 49ers game tickets
It may be a rough couple of years but players will adjust. Defenders already have adjusted with staying away from hitting with the crown of their helmet. I have seen quite a few shoulder hits that would have easily been knockout helmet blows the past couple of years.

It will take time but they will adjust to more technical tackling rather than simply torpedoing into one another.

There is a big difference than slanting your body forward for acceleration and putting your head down to use as a battering ram. Battering ram is not needed by a ball carrier or a tackler. Only time I think it may be needed is for short yardage and blocking.

Nobody is expecting players to run as if they have a stick up their asses. Just don't use your head as a battering ram.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Nobody is expecting players to run as if they have a stick up their asses. Just don't use your head as a battering ram.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

The refs seem pretty sensible most of the time and I don't think they will be pinging running backs who run low and forward. They are looking for helmet missiles
  • It may be a rough couple of years but players will adjust …
  • Defenders already have adjusted with staying away from hitting with the crown of their helmet …
  • It will take time but they will adjust to more technical tackling rather than simply torpedoing into one another …

I agree with these points:
I'd imagine the NFL knows there will be some growing pains, and a learning curve.
I also foresee some frustration, on the part of: players, coaches, and the officials …

This ruling, was made for the future of the NFL … it's being put into play, for the
next generation of players … for the kids in high school, and those just entering
into university.

Four to five years for now, most of the players who might find it hard to adapt,
will be either out of the league, or close to being retired.
Originally posted by Goatie:

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

The refs seem pretty sensible most of the time and I don't think they will be pinging running backs who run low and forward. They are looking for helmet missiles

Yeah. Shazier injury caused the movement.
Originally posted by Furlow:
The end of a 100m race is controlled deceleration, completely different than football where acceleration is paramount. It's literally impossible to accelerate without leaning forward. Tackle football is played in explosive 5-10 yard increments, expecting players to be upright is ridiculously silly, and only suit-wearing nerds who never played the game would think otherwise.

You are right about the need to get low, however I'm a rugby player, and the fact is that you need to put your head into smart positions, it's something you have to learn to do, trust me you can use your shoulders without making contact with your head.

Football players have never had to learn this due to the protection of a helmet, and ability to use it as a weapon.

Unfortunately severe injuries and tests have proven that this has to change.

I hope the refs can see the difference between a bang bang play and a deliberate targeting, but the players have to adapt.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Apr 8, 2018 at 4:55 AM ]
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
  • Defenders already have adjusted with staying away from hitting with the crown of their helmet …
  • It will take time but they will adjust to more technical tackling rather than simply torpedoing into one another …

I'd imagine the NFL knows there will be some growing pains, and a learning curve.
I also foresee some frustration, on the part of: players, coaches, and the officials …

This ruling, was made for the future of the NFL … it's being put into play, for the
next generation of players … for the kids in high school, and those just entering
into university.

Four to five years for now, most of the players who might find it hard to adapt,

It is as much a mindset as physical. Patrick Willis was an absolute beautiful form tackler, but no one would call him soft. He did not torpedo with his head but used his shoulder or chest and drove his target into the ground. That's the way they use to teach tackling and I suspect most good coaches still do. It is more sure, fewer whiffs, and safer for the tackler. The DBs may have to adjust their headhunting MOs...which is habit and bad coaching in my opinion.

Wonder how many fans will be disappointed when they do not see any head spearing. A lot of people like to see football at it's most violent rather than the nuances of good play. Guess the ratings will show us.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 8, 2018 at 7:25 AM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
The end of a 100m race is controlled deceleration, completely different than football where acceleration is paramount. It's literally impossible to accelerate without leaning forward. Tackle football is played in explosive 5-10 yard increments, expecting players to be upright is ridiculously silly, and only suit-wearing nerds who never played the game would think otherwise.

You are right about the need to get low, however I'm a rugby player, and the fact is that you need to put your head into smart positions, it's something you have to learn to do, trust me you can use your shoulders without making contact with your head.

Football players have never had to learn this due to the protection of a helmet, and ability to use it as a weapon.

Unfortunately severe injuries and tests have proven that this has to change.

I hope the refs can see the difference between a bang bang play and a deliberate targeting, but the players have to adapt.

Good post and I agree for the most part. I've played both sports and coached football. I've always taught my players to tackle "with their head out of the way, eyes up." But the speed and angles of the NFL make it impossible to avoid all helmet contact. There are going to be a ton of penalties for unavoidable contact. This really changes the game completely.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

into university.

It is as much a mindset as physical. Patrick Willis was an absolute beautiful form tackler, but no one would call him soft. He did not torpedo with his head but used his shoulder or chest and drove his target into the ground. That's the way they use to teach tackling and I suspect most good coaches still do. It is more sure, fewer whiffs, and safer for the tackler. The DBs may have to adjust their headhunting MOs...which is habit and bad coaching in my opinion.

Wonder how many fans will be disappointed when they do not see any head spearing. A lot of people like to see football at it's most violent rather than the nuances of good play. Guess the ratings will show us.

This would be a penalty with this new rule.

[ Edited by Furlow on Apr 8, 2018 at 8:39 AM ]

No it wouldn't because he made contact with his shoulder, not his head.

I see where you're coming from, sometimes it is unavoidable (that's normally when rugby players get knocked the F* out!) the players and refs need to adjust to stop it getting out of hand.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

into university.

Not sure there is a player who hasn't been penalized, but the point is...Willis generally had the most pure form of any LB I can recall. Guys have to return to that. One thing that is not being addressed in the media enough is the change in draft status of guys who made their reps by violent collisions. Will some defenders drop if they are not fundamentally sound? Hope so!
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

No it wouldn't because he made contact with his shoulder, not his head.

I see where you're coming from, sometimes it is unavoidable (that's normally when rugby players get knocked the F* out!) the players and refs need to adjust to stop it getting out of hand.

Most of the contact was with his shoulder, but he was "leaning forward" and his helmet hit Smith's helmet. It wasn't the main part of the collision, but it was there. By the current rule, it would be a penalty. I certainly hope referees don't call this type of play a penalty, but they will because it's a fast game and they have a directive from the league.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Making it easier refs to fix games
Most of the contact was with his shoulder, but he was "leaning forward" and his helmet hit Smith's helmet. It wasn't the main part of the collision, but it was there. By the current rule, it would be a penalty. I certainly hope referees don't call this type of play a penalty, but they will because it's a fast game and they have a directive from the league.

The rule says you can't lower the helmet to initiate contact with it, so no, not a penalty. Who knows what the refs will call, but ultimately even if it takes them and the players a year or two to adjust, it will be good for the game in the long run.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Can someone show me the difference between lowering your shoulder and lowering your head? I mean I'm really waiting for the NFL refs who are already pretty blind ell me the difference in the pro game. These guys even determine what PI, holding or a catch is now we're asking them in real time to judge more nuance?

You can lower your shoulder while still keeping your head up. You can't lower your head while keeping your head up.

See what you hit
Share 49ersWebzone