LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Andrew Norwell

Shop 49ers game tickets
As we head into the offseason, I feel like this dude warrants his own thread. I'm curious to get the communities opinion on his fit in Shanahan's scheme. At face value, it looks like he's a top 5 guard in the game, and has been performing strongly since he entered the league. Looking at his scouting report coming out of the draft, he was positioned as a bit of a plodder, who wouldn't be a great fit in a zone scheme. But based on some of the film I've seen of him, he seems to do pretty well blocking on the move and down field. What do you guys think? Is he worth making one of our high priced FA acquisitions in the offseason?

Trading for a guy like Mack, and then signing Norwell would go a long way in turning our line around.

Norwell is a great player. He's not a great fit in this scheme, but he'd be serviceable in the OZ/stretch game.
  • dj43
Norwell is the best FA guard coming up. Somewhat better in pass pro than run. Would definitely be an upgrade from Tomlinson.

The problem is, next year Carolina will have $25,000,000 in cap room and the only player other than Norwell that is a "must sign" is Star Lotulelei. Julius Peppers and their kicker are also up but they won't break the bank.

I just don't see any way they let Norwell go unless some team is willing to give him Kevin Zeitler money ($12million). He isn't worth that. David DeCastro has pretty much set the market at $10million/yr.
Originally posted by dj43:
Norwell is the best FA guard coming up. Somewhat better in pass pro than run. Would definitely be an upgrade from Tomlinson.

The problem is, next year Carolina will have $25,000,000 in cap room and the only player other than Norwell that is a "must sign" is Star Lotulelei. Julius Peppers and their kicker are also up but they won't break the bank.

I just don't see any way they let Norwell go unless some team is willing to give him Kevin Zeitler money ($12million). He isn't worth that. David DeCastro has pretty much set the market at $10million/yr.

We got the money.. If he does his job f**k the 12 mill lol. Were super young. Lets go for it.

What yall think it takes to get Mack in a trade? You think a 3rd is fair?
Norwell is going to stay. that's just what my gut says, and the radio back home keeps making it out to be like that. he loves the area back there. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus who in turn was Turners as well. Plus he's come out and said how much hew wants to stay there. I wouldn't count on him hitting the market. He sure is nasty though
  • dj43
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by dj43:

We got the money.. If he does his job f**k the 12 mill lol. Were super young. Lets go for it.

What yall think it takes to get Mack in a trade? You think a 3rd is fair?

It isn't only about how much the 49ers are willing to pay but how much Carolina will pay him.

Lotulelei is less valuable than Norwell. His performance has been inconsistent over the years. When he is good, he is pretty good, but not always. If the Panthers decide to let him walk, or test the market, they can easily give Norwell top end money ($12million) and still have money left for other needs.

As to Mack, given how radically he changed the capabilities of their OL, I don't see them letting him go unless someone was willing to grossly overpay to get him. He will be 33 next season with a cap number of just over $11million. I don't see the 49ers making that deal.
Going to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid.

He's gonna be the hight paid gaurd in history
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Heroism:
Going to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid.

There's no way the 49ers will get Norwell AND Jensen. I think Norwell and Spencer Long maybe or Jensen and Zach Fulton. I'd take either combo.
I'll take Jensen if given a choice between the two. He's a seamless fit for Kyle's scheme and plays the more critical position.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'll take Jensen if given a choice between the two. He's a seamless fit for Kyle's scheme and plays the more critical position.

I agree, I would rather have Jensen and I really hope Shanahan does too. An O-line of:

LT - Joe Staley
LG - Josh Garnett
C - Ryan Jensen
RG - Zach Fulton
RT - Trent Brown

That would be a huge upgrade.......HUGE!!!

This. Draft is absolutely loaded at guard. Garnett is coming back. Center is a lot more complicated.
Honestly I'd be happy to sign Norwell then draft Ragnow..or the other way sign a C in Jensen, Linsley or Wichburg then draft Nelson or the kid out of Auburn, either way the line will look way better, we can all agree Lynch has to address both C and G this offseason, which way he will do it, idk..
Salary Cap Expert, and former NFL Agent Joel Corry thinks Norwell will get more than Kevin Zeitler got, which is $12M a yr.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/949339264600322048
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Salary Cap Expert, and former NFL Agent Joel Corry thinks Norwell will get more than Kevin Zeitler got, which is $12M a yr.

https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/949339264600322048

Welp, effectively being named the best guard in the NFL certainly helps.
Share 49ersWebzone