There are 206 users in the forums

OL Laken Tomlinson, signs with NYJ

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think they will put Tomlinson on the same conditioning program as the had Garnett on in order to better run the outside zone scheme.

If I remember rightly, Tomlinson is a natural and better right guard thrown onto the left side of the line at Detroit. We've kept him there because we had Fusco at RG through training camp etc and didn't want to upset the chemistry. I could see him returning there next season.

For me, sign a quality FA centre, draft or sign a right tackle and trade T Brown (he doesn't fit the outside ZBS), then let Garnett, Tomlinson, Fusco, Williams and Magnuson compete for the guard and backup centre spots.

Yep.

Tomlinson is a natural RG and Garnett is a natural LG.

I fully expect we keep both and move them to their natural positions.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I think they will put Tomlinson on the same conditioning program as the had Garnett on in order to better run the outside zone scheme.

If I remember rightly, Tomlinson is a natural and better right guard thrown onto the left side of the line at Detroit. We've kept him there because we had Fusco at RG through training camp etc and didn't want to upset the chemistry. I could see him returning there next season.

For me, sign a quality FA centre, draft or sign a right tackle and trade T Brown (he doesn't fit the outside ZBS), then let Garnett, Tomlinson, Fusco, Williams and Magnuson compete for the guard and backup centre spots.

Yep.

Same here. I'd be surprised if Tomlinson isn't at least in camp.
Any updates on Tomlinson? Haven't been paying attention that much in the off season. I know that he was well thought of coming out of College. Trying to figure out if the Team will keep him around. I'm hoping that with a few games under his belt on the Team and in this System, and then with OTA's and Training Camp, he becomes at least a solid backup and potentially compete for starting time.

......or is he already gone?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Any updates on Tomlinson? Haven't been paying attention that much in the off season. I know that he was well thought of coming out of College. Trying to figure out if the Team will keep him around. I'm hoping that with a few games under his belt on the Team and in this System, and then with OTA's and Training Camp, he becomes at least a solid backup and potentially compete for starting time.

He'll compete, not going anywhere yet. Will finally get an entire offseason to learn this offense so he could surprise.
Originally posted by jcs:

He'll compete, not going anywhere yet. Will finally get an entire offseason to learn this offense so he could surprise.
Hopefully he does. We need as many solid OL we can get.
  • dj43

That is entirely possible. He was highly regarded coming out of college but wound up in Detroit with defensive-minded coaches and never benefitted from a solid scheme.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Encouraged by this start from him. Looks serviceable, but you can see the talent that got him drafted high, and he's got upside. When Josh Garnett is back, that gives us two guys to grow with. I still want to see us pick up a few o-lineman to develop next year, but at least Tomlinson/Garnett/Brown gives us a bit of a young core to build on.

Agreed. Also I think they need to think about either drafting Staley's replacement in the next couple years or seeing if Brown can be moved to LT. I don't see Staley still being here in two years.

Leave Trent at RT. The hand and footwork is completely different when you switch. It's like telling an orthodox boxer to fight southpaw. This ain't Madden.

Niners immediate need is at Center right now and Shanny will most likely look to getting a vet in there to be the brains up front. I'm hoping we go after Weston Richburg or Corey Linsley.

Perhaps we get lucky and find a starter in day 2 of the draft at LT.

I think he is good depth if we sign him for cheap.
Awful lot of really good OGs and Cs in #20-70+. If we sign 2 more in that group, then yes, Laken is done. Prediction? He will be gone, and Cole Mason at #70 takes his slot. Also, Beatles, Fsco and yes, Kilgore (the insurance) will be gone also. We truly will have a rebuilt OL.

Yep.

I keep thinking about the first Ram game last season--Tomlinson neutralized Aaron Donald for the entire game and late in the 4th Donald switched sides and immediately beat Fusco for a sack that ended the game.

so if he can gain some agility through weight loss/conditioning, he might be a fit for shanny's scheme at RG. he has shown some ability, imho.

Just read from MM that the 49ers plan on him being the starting LG this season. Interesting that they like him more than Garnett and obviously Fusco who they let walk. I personally thought Tomlinson played pretty well down the stretch and I like him more than Fusco as well. I think he still has an upside to get better. With Richburg next to him and hopefully a real good player at RG, we could have a good O-Line with two real OT's in Staley and Brown.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Just read from MM that the 49ers plan on him being the starting LG this season. Interesting that they like him more than Garnett and obviously Fusco who they let walk. I personally thought Tomlinson played pretty well down the stretch and I like him more than Fusco as well. I think he still has an upside to get better. With Richburg next to him and hopefully a real good player at RG, we could have a good O-Line with two real OT's in Staley and Brown.

this is all I saw last yr
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

this is all I saw last yr
then don't go to the supermarket so often!
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Yep.

I think they let him compete for a starting role at the very least he's a cheap backup with starting experience.

Yep.

I think they let him compete for a starting role at the very least he's a cheap backup with starting experience.

For 1.6 mill I keep him now. Him and Trent need to drop weight.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Mar 15, 2018 at 7:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone