There are 227 users in the forums

Todd Bowles

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Was he that good with Arizona?

He was awesome as their DC

Amazing schemer, was one of the top DCs at making in-game adjustments too. Dude just manufactures pressure and sends blitzers coming at QBs from every direction. His players absolutely loved him too.

If a guy like Bowles comes available, unless he wants to take a year off, you find a way to bring him in.

One thing that bugs me about a lot of coaches is the double standard they have when it comes to coaches. They'll replace a player the second someone slightly better comes available but they'll hang on to assistant coaches forever out of some misguided sense of loyalty. We see it all the time. Pete Carroll sticking with Tom Cable way too long, Bruce Arians with Amos Smith...etc.

I hope Shanahan applies the same standards to his staff as he does his players. If you really feel that Saleh is the guy, then great but it'd be a huge disappointment to pass on Bowles only to fire Saleh a year later.
His A gap blitz schemes are like a dam breaking.

Originally posted by LarryLestersBuns:
His A gap blitz schemes are like a dam breaking.

Dude made life difficult on so many QBs. He has a fast, super aggressive style of defense that matches perfectly with Kyle's attacking offensive philosophy.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hire him as dc but its not gonna happen if he kyle aren't friends from before.
Originally posted by susweel:

Phoenix's point about loyalty is a real thing for these coaches.

My concern is that if we didn't go hard after Fangio this past off season, would we for Bowles?
I went back and watched yesterday's Bills/Jets game because of the interest in Todd Bowles. I couldn't concentrate on Bowles defense because McClown was so terrible.

Dude has Shaun Hill type arm but think of himself as Drew Brees.

I don't think Bowels deserve to be fired, but having McCown play like that, Bowels will get the early boot.

Their defense had trouble stopping McCoy
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM ]
Think of it as having a Kyle Shanahan on defense.

Originally posted by NCommand:

My concern is that if we didn't go hard after Fangio this past off season, would we for Bowles?
Definitely a good point. This would be a slam dunk hire. Kyle's gotta be reasonable about this. If Bowles is available, you go after him hard. Make him the highest paid assistant coach in the league and give him the Assistant HC title if necessary. This would be better than any of the other trades or signings that we missed out on. Please make it happen if Bowles is available.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I have a feeling that kyle doesn't like to fire his friends and will probably go down swinging with his boy Salah.
Bowles' aggressive scheme requires great man cover corners, our best is Jimmy Ward!

It'll cause us a lot of pain if we went for it, remember they had Patrick Peterson.

It could work but we'd need to sign a big FA CB or two and draft Greedy Williams. Sherman would be done, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Fangio was never really available. The Bears made it clear that they wanted to retain him, period. If Bowles were to get fired, it would be a much different situation where he was a free agent able to go anywhere.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Bowles' aggressive scheme requires great man cover corners, our best is Jimmy Ward!

It'll cause us a lot of pain if we went for it, remember they had Patrick Peterson.

It could work but we'd need to sign a big FA CB or two and draft Greedy Williams. Sherman would be done, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Huh?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

This is true but the Cardinals never had anything better than average opposite Peterson beyond Cromartie for a year and Bowles still made it work. Sherman+a high quality rookie CB or a good free agent would work. CB would definitely become a bigger priority as he does like to leave them out on an island quite a bit.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is true but the Cardinals never had anything better than average opposite Peterson beyond Cromartie for a year and Bowles still made it work. Sherman+a high quality rookie CB or a good free agent would work. CB would definitely become a bigger priority as he does like to leave them out on an island quite a bit.

I think we'd be pushing it leaving Sherman on an island, he's great when he has a 1/3 to operate in, but look what happened at the end of the Packers game when he tried to take Adams off Mabin, badly beaten once, then a costly holding call.

We'd likely be starting from scratch in that room.
NYJ D solid also. Blitz a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone