LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Todd Bowles

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Was he that good with Arizona?

Amazing schemer, was one of the top DCs at making in-game adjustments too. Dude just manufactures pressure and sends blitzers coming at QBs from every direction. His players absolutely loved him too.

If a guy like Bowles comes available, unless he wants to take a year off, you find a way to bring him in.

One thing that bugs me about a lot of coaches is the double standard they have when it comes to coaches. They'll replace a player the second someone slightly better comes available but they'll hang on to assistant coaches forever out of some misguided sense of loyalty. We see it all the time. Pete Carroll sticking with Tom Cable way too long, Bruce Arians with Amos Smith...etc.

I hope Shanahan applies the same standards to his staff as he does his players. If you really feel that Saleh is the guy, then great but it'd be a huge disappointment to pass on Bowles only to fire Saleh a year later.
They have probably spent so much time together versus how much times these coaches spend with a player that it makes it harder to do. But it does seem as if KS has dug in and if fully backing Saleh. That's the main reason I'd be surprised if we got Bowles. I don't see KS admitting defeat
Bowles and Bell in the offseason would be incredible.
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:

Why would they spend $14 million a year plus on a RB in this offense when guys coming in off the street are balling out? One of the big pros of this offense is that RB is plug and play.

The main reason I wasn't a big fan of the McKinnon signing.
I don't see Shanahan firing Saleh and hiring Bowles, if he does become available. I think there are some players that don't really fit Saleh's scheme...like Mitchell, who's not who we need lining up alongside Buckner. I think Thomas was a mistake in this defense. Replace Mitchell & Thomas with guys who can stop the run and take on multiple blockers to provide some legit opportunities to rush the passer. Gotta remember this is just year two of a huge rebuild...there's still some missing pieces.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't see Shanahan firing Saleh and hiring Bowles, if he does become available. I think there are some players that don't really fit Saleh's scheme...like Mitchell, who's not who we need lining up alongside Buckner. I think Thomas was a mistake in this defense. Replace Mitchell & Thomas with guys who can stop the run and take on multiple blockers to provide some legit opportunities to rush the passer. Gotta remember this is just year two of a huge rebuild...there's still some missing pieces.

More collapses like this and his position is going to be a lot less certain.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
More collapses like this and his position is going to be a lot less certain.

Tonight was a big step back for Saleh, he has been fairly creative with pressure recently so I'm surprised he was so vanilla.

I reckon he felt they could get home Vs the Giants O-Line as easily as Raiders, when that wasn't working he should have dialled up some more blitzes.

I'd love Bowles but I think it would mean trading Sherman, signing a free agent or two and possibly a high pick on a CB.

I think he'd love working with Warner, Foster and Tartt though, a lot of speed for extra pressure.
Until they upgrade the edge rushers, it doesn't matter who the DC is. Belichick couldn't do s**t with this pathetic group.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 12, 2018 at 8:34 PM ]
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:

Bell is an ideal fit for this offense. He comes with big risk and i odn't think he's worth the money, but man, that would be exciting.

Originally posted by Heroism:
Until they upgrade the edge rushers, it doesn't matter who the DC is. Belichick couldn't do s**t with this pathetic group.

He wouldn't put MArsh on Barkley and he would blitz more than once....
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Tonight was a big step back for Saleh, he has been fairly creative with pressure recently so I'm surprised he was so vanilla.

I reckon he felt they could get home Vs the Giants O-Line as easily as Raiders, when that wasn't working he should have dialled up some more blitzes.

I'd love Bowles but I think it would mean trading Sherman, signing a free agent or two and possibly a high pick on a CB.

I think he'd love working with Warner, Foster and Tartt though, a lot of speed for extra pressure.

Sherman can play in any defense. No need to trade him.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Doesn't matter who the edge rushers are if your players have no clue on their responsibilities.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Bell is an ideal fit for this offense. He comes with big risk and i odn't think he's worth the money, but man, that would be exciting.

He wouldn't put MArsh on Barkley and he would blitz more than once....

People keep repeating this but he really isn't. He's far more of a power back, a north to south runner. He's not an ideal outside zone back. While he catches a lot of passes, most of them are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, he's not running downfield and making catches the way a guy like McKinnon was expected to. Its not like RB is a major issue on this team anyways with Breida, Morris and then McKinnon coming back.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I would sh!t myself with joy and not bother cleaning up. Dude is a fvcking wizard on defense. This defense has pieces, but it's like watching a blind man put together a jigsaw puzzle right now...

I tried putting a jigsaw together with my eyes closed....very frustrating.
I was so jealous yesterday watching Mike Vrabel's defense. It's so state of the art. None of this 4-3, 3-4 BS people are caught up on. He literally uses elements from both with a modern, updated approach to everything. That diamond front is nasty.

[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 12, 2018 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Sherman can play in any defense. No need to trade him.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago but there's no way he survives in Cover 1 or Cover 0.
Bring him in if available.
Share 49ersWebzone