There are 208 users in the forums

Is the NFL dying?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Supply and demand...there is simply too much football (Hell they already have a whole day devoted to the sport). I love my Sunday football and it's always a plus when your teams on MNF.

But now it seems to have flooded the market, Thursday night football needs to go IMO (and Saturday games when that happens). It's for the most part poorly played while players are still recovering from last week.

I also think we don't need to be going to Europe and china (reportedly).

Also like everyone said it seems like the players vs the owners which is annoying.

I agree. With anything in life, if there's too much of it it's no longer as special to you. You add in the fact that less children are playing due to the perceived concussion issue causing less family involvement coupled with the cost of attendance and its bound to decline a little.

Yup sucks...the higher ups are trying to get as much money as possible and throw football down our throats while creating a product that's not as enjoyable.
I do believe the NFL has become less interesting overall. I think Goodell needs to model his practice off of the world's most popular sport, that is soccer. It's fun to watch soccer players celebrate, admittedly sometimes more fun to watch than the game itself. They aren't find for expressing their pride in their country or club. Goodell should invest in fandom, find more ways to boost fan participation in rooting, cheering, et cetera and allow NFL players to be creative with their celebrations as they once had in the past. These celebrations were undoubtedly part of every NFL highlights coverage and it made it entertaining to watch highlights, but more importantly, football games. Every NFL player is unique and to allow them to express their uniqueness is to allow fans to express their pride and become more inspired with the game that is played. I agree that Goodell is the NFL killer.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by lamontb:
The product has been bad this year. College Football, MLB Playoffs, and this little bit of NBA are all currently more entertaining than the NFL. Then you got other factors to add in as well. That Thursday night game is overkill. Should've left that night to college football

Yes, I don't like the Thursday game.

For the most part it puts the road team at such a disadvantage that the games just aren't good regardless of the match up.
  • dj43
There have been multiple suggestions as to why attendance/viewership is down and I believe most of them are valid.

One thing I have noticed on Facebook are petitions/notices from different individuals that they are no longer watching/attending games due to the failure of certain players to respect the flag/anthem. A couple of them are Vietnam veterans who are friends of mine. One of them used to go with me to every home game. He was an avid fan. Man cave full of 49er memorabilia before man caves were popular. For him to quit watching at this point is surprising and telling. Just saying...
Where is there comprehensive evidence suggesting NFL is less popular?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by judodono:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/11/01/nfl-ratings-continue-to-fall-in-primetime-while-baseball-and-basketball-are-up/
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
NFL is dying. Alviso 49ers are dead (already)

Because attendance and ratings are down. That usually means something is less popular.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Boxing and horse racing peaked and are almost out of the picture. During the early to mid 50's boxing was on TV almost every evening (sound familiar?). Horse racing drew larger crowds than baseball and football. In 1938 when Seabiscuit ran against War Admiral in the famous match race the country came to a halt. President Roosevelt stopped whatever he was doing to listen to the race. The owners will squeeze the last penny out of pro-football.

boxing peaked because ther was no likeable boxers except pacman. floyd was the worst top dog ever
-Thursday Night Football

-Shtty referees across the league. No longer is it one or two known for being terrible. Now there's too many to even try to keep count

-Greedy Goodells desire to take the league into places it didn't belong. With 3 days a week of football it no longer is the event it once was.

-NFL RED ZONE. No longer do we have to watch games flooded with commercials. RZ gives us all the power of changing the channel without having to. A great channel that I love but yet another aspect of how Goodells desire to grow the league and put it everywhere possible might've outgrown the fan bases feeling of anxiousness and anticipation due to over saturation. The NFL is literally everywhere and the down viewership is proving there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Parity has been a double-edged sword for the NFL and this year it's hurting them. There are just so many mediocre teams that the matchups just aren't compelling to watch for people that aren't part of their respective team's fan base.

And since teams are rotating being from good to bad so frequently it's hard to really build any sort of grudge matches like you had with the Raiders and Steelers in the 70s, 49ers and well the NFC in the 80's, Cowboys 9ers early 90s, Cowboys Packers later 90s, and Colts, Pats, Steelers in the 2000s.

Games are infested with commercials with a commercial break for every little event.

Lots of penalties and with those increased penalties an increase of bad calls.

All the rules making the game completely sterile to watch. Players can't celebrate or show any sort of emotion. And there is that just lack of bad blood between players and teams that just take some of the fun out of watching games.

So the NFL isn't dying or will die it's just going to go from mega popular to just popular.

Also the popularity of the NFL just peaked and went about as high as it could go so there was really only one way for it to go and that's down. It's just nigh impossible to maintain being that ultra popular for a significant amount of time.

Check out the playgrounds soccer rules.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Because attendance and ratings are down. That usually means something is less popular.

True. Also a good article sus posted. But neither are indicative of the NFL dieing. One can be bold and make that call. But it's still too early. And ridiculous to jump to some of these conclusions.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by billbird2111:

True. Also a good article sus posted. But neither are indicative of the NFL dieing. One can be bold and make that call. But it's still too early. And ridiculous to jump to some of these conclusions.

Not dying but it is declining.
Originally posted by susweel:
Not dying but it is declining.

Agree there. Someone mentioned it above, it was the king of American sports and probably just now coming off its peak. Has everything to do with entertainment value. Nothing else.
Share 49ersWebzone