LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Lamar Jackson QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'll take ability to throw the ball accurately and consistently over physical talent at the QB position We will see if he improves on actually being a QB next yr.

After Dak Prescott, I'll never write off any QB's. Not saying that Prescott is Peyton Manning but he showed significant improvement operating from the pocket in a short period of time. Jackson will need a similar level of improvement to be a consistent passer in the NFL.
Originally posted by jcs:
He's 19 years old...too young to project but you can marvel at his physical ability. If he were in the NFL today he would easily be a top 5 QB in regards to physical talent. Hopefully he learns the position and develops a better game but as a start he's on fire.

He needs work, but he also just won the Heisman on raw talent. He can throw the ball, he doesn't just run.

The kid is the real deal, and guess what? There isn't much QB talent out there so he is sitting at the top of the pyramid all by himself. If he slips and goes to a good team with a defense and a running game! GAME OVER
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
No.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'll take ability to throw the ball accurately and consistently over physical talent at the QB position We will see if he improves on actually being a QB next yr.

After Dak Prescott, I'll never write off any QB's. Not saying that Prescott is Peyton Manning but he showed significant improvement operating from the pocket in a short period of time. Jackson will need a similar level of improvement to be a consistent passer in the NFL.

You could seem him mature into a pocket passing QB at Miss St though...granted it's only Jackson's 2nd yr as the starting QB, but I haven't seen that in him. I highly doubt he stays 4 yrs to learn about throwing from the pocket as well lol.

Dak, 3 of his 4 seasons completed at least 60% of his passes Jackson hasn't sniffed that yet.

We will see, I sure as hell wouldn't pass on a QB this yr in hopes of landing this kid.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
He's 19 years old...too young to project but you can marvel at his physical ability. If he were in the NFL today he would easily be a top 5 QB in regards to physical talent. Hopefully he learns the position and develops a better game but as a start he's on fire.

He needs work, but he also just won the Heisman on raw talent. He can throw the ball, he doesn't just run.

The kid is the real deal, and guess what? There isn't much QB talent out there so he is sitting at the top of the pyramid all by himself. If he slips and goes to a good team with a defense and a running game! GAME OVER

Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, RG3, Johnny Manziel all won the Heisman who cares they all had higher completion percentages as well. He's a good college "QB"
You could seem him mature into a pocket passing QB at Miss St though...granted it's only Jackson's 2nd yr as the starting QB, but I haven't seen that in him. I highly doubt he stays 4 yrs to learn about throwing from the pocket as well lol.

Dak, 3 of his 4 seasons completed at least 60% of his passes Jackson hasn't sniffed that yet.

We will see, I sure as hell wouldn't pass on a QB this yr in hopes of landing this kid.

Really? Jacksons leap from freshman to sophomore was astronomical. If he makes the same kind of stride from Soph to junior it's gonna be lights out.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
He needs work, but he also just won the Heisman on raw talent.

How many QB's have we seen win the Heisman and go on to do absolutely nothing in the NFL, or even go undrafted for that matter? College production isn't the same as NFL production. The way Jackson racked up his stats this year at Louisville wouldn't cut it in the NFL.
Originally posted by SheHateMe:

Really? Jacksons leap from freshman to sophomore was astronomical. If he makes the same kind of stride from Soph to junior it's gonna be lights out.

Not really from a passing perspective....what he does works in college not in the NFL it's been proven over and over. He has to be better than completing 57% of his passes in a simplistic spread offense.

People hate on someone like Watson but he's completing 68% of his passes.

Jackson ran the ball 234 times this yr no way do you want your 6-3 200 lb QB doing that, hell Hyde has only had 190 attempts. In fact that would put him 4 among all RBs and that's through 14 weeks. Jackson avg 20 rushing attempts a game, that's not a QB.

If he wants to be a NFL QB he's got to learn to make progression and good reads from inside the pocket because I didn't see much of that.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by SheHateMe:

He completed 57% of his throws in a QB friendly offense. Go look at the list of successful NFL QB's who completed under 60% of their passes in college.

He showed little consistency in ball placement and overall accuracy. If you can't be accurate throwing into huge college passing windows, what happens in the NFL when they shrink tremendously?

He can run for 3,000 yards in college, at the next level, defenses will key on shutting that down, even if he gets his yards on the ground, teams will make him pay for those yards.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 12, 2016 at 2:01 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
The next Pryor

• jcs
  • Veteran
Not really from a passing perspective....what he does works in college not in the NFL it's been proven over and over. He has to be better than completing 57% of his passes in a simplistic spread offense.

People hate on someone like Watson but he's completing 68% of his passes.

Jackson ran the ball 234 times this yr no way do you want your 6-3 200 lb QB doing that, hell Hyde has only had 190 attempts. In fact that would put him 4 among all RBs and that's through 14 weeks. Jackson avg 20 rushing attempts a game, that's not a QB.

If he wants to be a NFL QB he's got to learn to make progression and good reads from inside the pocket because I didn't see much of that.
His passing numbers are actually better than D.Kizer who only managed a 58% completion percentage.
His passing numbers are actually better than D.Kizer who only managed a 58% completion percentage.

The difference is Kizer had a down year after losing a crapload of talent from his team. He's still never going to be a super accurate passer but he did look a lot more comfortable from the pocket than Jackson has looked.
Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, RG3, Johnny Manziel all won the Heisman who cares they all had higher completion percentages as well. He's a good college "QB"

BINGO!

I mean I'm not a fan of kizer at all...he was also surround by s**t and had a horrible HC.

I wouldn't touch kizer until like 3rd or 4th rd to be honest.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He completed 57% of his throws in a QB friendly offense. Go look at the list of successful NFL QB's who completed under 60% of their passes in college.

He showed little consistency in ball placement and overall accuracy. If you can't be accurate throwing into huge college passing windows, what happens in the NFL when they shrink tremendously?

He can run for 3,000 yards in college, at the next level, defenses will key on shutting that down, even if he gets his yards on the ground, teams will make him pay for those yards.

The system matters though. I mean, Joe Montana completed 54% of his throws at Notre Dame but that was 40 years ago in a totally different offense.

What would be the ideal completion percentage for a spread QB?

I look at guys like Falk and Trubisky ... high completion percentage. If either of them shows an ability to read the defense then you have to take that guy all day over the raw athletic talent.
Share 49ersWebzone