There are 360 users in the forums

NFL to amend "Rooney Rule"

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I think it's no secret that teams must interview minority candidates for their head coaching and front office positions, but did you guys see that they are in the process of requiring teams to interview women as well?
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think it's no secret that teams must interview minority candidates for their head coaching and front office positions, but did you guys see that they are in the process of requiring teams to interview women as well?

For women it's only for front office/executive positions.
All going to be ugly.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/the-nfl-will-implement-a-rooney-rule-for-women_us_56b3a045e4b08069c7a67110

The NFL will implement a new hiring rule aimed at increasing the number of women serving in executive roles across the league, Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Thursday.

The rule will be modeled after the "Rooney Rule," a 2003 standard the league adopted that requires teams and the league to interview minority candidates for coaching and executive vacancies.

"We have something called the Rooney Rule which requires us to make sure that when we have an opening ... that we are going to interview a diverse slate of candidates," Goodell announced in San Francisco at the first-ever NFL Women's Summit ahead of Super Bowl 50. "We are going to formalize that we as a league are going to do that for women as well in all of our executive positions."
Beyond this being a PR stunt in an attempt to improve Roger Goodell's image , for me there are two schools of thought on this subject.

On the one hand its sort of BS to force organizations to do this and make it a mandatory thing.

On the other hand I am sure there are women who are more than qualified to do Front Office jobs as well or better than some currently in those positions.

As I understand it, Amy Trask did well for the Raiders. If a person is qualified to do a job they should be allowed an opportunity to prove themselves based specifically on merit and not based upon their gender or ethnicity. So it can be argued it is BS for an organization to not give someone an opportunity, as they haven't in some cases, if that someone deserves a chance. To me this just comes off as another thinly veiled attempt for the NFL to pretend they're the good guys who care when they clearly don't -- unless you're talking about giving them money, then they care a great deal..
  • Stud
As long as they stay off the field.
Originally posted by Stud:

Unless you mean players, specifically, they are already "on the field" . . .
(from the article linked above)
Women broke several barriers in the NFL during the 2015 season. Referee Sarah Thomas became the league's first full-time female official when she took the field at the start of the season. Jen Welter, meanwhile, became the first woman to serve in a coaching role when the Arizona Cardinals hired her as an assistant coaching intern during the preseason.

In January, the Buffalo Bills hired Kathryn Smith as the league's first woman to serve in a full-time coaching role.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Stud:

Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Beyond this being a PR stunt in an attempt to improve Roger Goodell's image , for me there are two schools of thought on this subject.

On the one hand its sort of BS to force organizations to do this and make it a mandatory thing.

On the other hand I am sure there are women who are more than qualified to do Front Office jobs as well or better than some currently in those positions.

As I understand it, Amy Trask did well for the Raiders. If a person is qualified to do a job they should be allowed an opportunity to prove themselves based specifically on merit and not based upon their gender or ethnicity. So it can be argued it is BS for an organization to not give someone an opportunity, as they haven't in some cases, if that someone deserves a chance. To me this just comes off as another thinly veiled attempt for the NFL to pretend they're the good guys who care when they clearly don't -- unless you're talking about giving them money, then they care a great deal..

You're right. Trask really proved herself as a more than capable during her time in Oakland. I wonder if they will call this the "(Al) Davis rule"
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 5, 2016 at 2:17 PM ]
Looks like Joan in payroll is getting a raise.

Their brains aren't big enough.

This has to be a joke
I'm fine with this... No big deal.
PC move to get ahead of future lawsuits
Originally posted by 16to87:
PC move to get ahead of future lawsuits

This
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
Looks like Joan in payroll is getting a raise.

Joan Rule
Share 49ersWebzone