LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

NFL to amend "Rooney Rule"

Shop 49ers game tickets
best way to make an organization or person not racist/sexist is to make a rule for them not to be!
I still dont understand how the Rooney Rule helps anyone get a job. What is this, the 1940's? If a black guy can coach, hes getting a job. Its 2016. The president is black, but the NFL has to enforce this stupid rule? Its a waste of most of these coaches time, and more offensive than anything else. Anthony Lynn has to fly out to have lunch with like 4 teams just so they can check a box?

Not a single team who has hired a black coach said "wow, im sure glad the NFL forced us to interview this guy, or else we wouldve never given him a chance."
Originally posted by RonMexico:
best way to make an organization or person not racist/sexist is to make a rule for them not to be!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
I still dont understand how the Rooney Rule helps anyone get a job. What is this, the 1940's? If a black guy can coach, hes getting a job. Its 2016. The president is black, but the NFL has to enforce this stupid rule? Its a waste of most of these coaches time, and more offensive than anything else. Anthony Lynn has to fly out to have lunch with like 4 teams just so they can check a box?

Not a single team who has hired a black coach said "wow, im sure glad the NFL forced us to interview this guy, or else we wouldve never given him a chance."
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Unfortunately we need rules because we can't trust people to the right thing. Women still make less money than men and black men make less money than white men with equal education and experience. It's actually significantly less. That is a problem. If the Rooney rule is not the solution, please provide another option. Doing nothing just adds to the problem.

Luckily we have had progressive people on this planet who instead of complaining and doing NOTHING, got up off their asses and brought about change to a racist system.

Women should be interviewed for front office positions, why the f**k not?
Originally posted by CityKing415:
All going to be ugly.

Depends on which women they hire.
I wonder how it feels to know you were only interviewed because of this rule, and you never had a chance at the job.
When I read the title of this thread I was like "about time they got rid of it. It's an insult to black assistant coaches getting interviewed just to satisfy this rule." Then I read the post...
Originally posted by Blindfury:

Unfortunately we need rules because we can't trust people to the right thing. Women still make less money than men and black men make less money than white men with equal education and experience. It's actually significantly less. That is a problem. If the Rooney rule is not the solution, please provide another option. Doing nothing just adds to the problem.

Luckily we have had progressive people on this planet who instead of complaining and doing NOTHING, got up off their asses and brought about change to a racist system.

Women should be interviewed for front office positions, why the f**k not?

The pay scale difference has to do with men from older generations still in long term, high ranking positions. The people being hired right now arent being paid more for being white.

If businesses could hire a black person or a woman who was just as qualified, and pay them less money, dont you think all these fortune 500 companies would only be hiring black people and/or women?

The pay scale discrepancy is a myth now. People just run with it. It makes no fundamental business sense. Do white athletes make more money than black athletes? Of course not.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/the-nfl-will-implement-a-rooney-rule-for-women_us_56b3a045e4b08069c7a67110

The NFL will implement a new hiring rule aimed at increasing the number of women serving in executive roles across the league, Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Thursday.

The rule will be modeled after the "Rooney Rule," a 2003 standard the league adopted that requires teams and the league to interview minority candidates for coaching and executive vacancies.

"We have something called the Rooney Rule which requires us to make sure that when we have an opening ... that we are going to interview a diverse slate of candidates," Goodell announced in San Francisco at the first-ever NFL Women's Summit ahead of Super Bowl 50. "We are going to formalize that we as a league are going to do that for women as well in all of our executive positions."

A diverse slate of candidates? The Rooney Rule is just for black candidates. If it was really diverse, it would force every NFL team to interview a candidate of every single race and nationality.

The pay scale difference has to do with men from older generations still in long term, high ranking positions. The people being hired right now arent being paid more for being white.

If businesses could hire a black person or a woman who was just as qualified, and pay them less money, dont you think all these fortune 500 companies would only be hiring black people and/or women?

The pay scale discrepancy is a myth now. People just run with it. It makes no fundamental business sense. Do white athletes make more money than black athletes? Of course not.

. This is just...wow.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stud:
As long as they stay off the field.

Exactly why front offices need to be forced. Too many ppl in this country with this kind of thinking.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
I wonder how it feels to know you were only interviewed because of this rule, and you never had a chance at the job.

Probably not as bad as when you know that you deserve to be interviewed but aren't gettin' an opportunity because of your race.
Share 49ersWebzone