LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

T.O. Is eligible for the H.O.F.

Shop 49ers game tickets

T.O. Is eligible for the H.O.F.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2015/9/16/108-modern-era-nominees-announced-for-class-of-2016/

Surprised there is no thread on this.

Yes or No?
yes
Yes, TO is eligible for the HOF. Is he one of the top eight among those who should make it this year? No.

A major talent and an even bigger arse who ultimately wasted his talent. Should he get in one day? Maybe, but that's for the voters to decide.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Yes, TO is eligible for the HOF. Is he one of the top eight among those who should make it this year? No.

A major talent and an even bigger arse who ultimately wasted his talent. Should he get in one day? Maybe, but that's for the voters to decide.

lolwut?

5th in all-time TDs, 2nd in receiving yards. His career is on par with Randy Moss and is one of the best three WR to ever play this game. Lot's of me-first guys make it into the HOF. It's about talent and contributions on the football field. TO is a no-brainer.

"lolwut?" nothing. TO was a tremendously talented asshat who will probably get in the HOF one day, but should that be on the first ballot? Hell, no.

I give him props for putting up the numbers that he did in his career and working his arse off to come back from injury to play in Super Bowl XXXIX.

He wasn't the reason the Eagles lost that game and he garnered a lot of admiration from me for his efforts, I just don't think he merits first-ballot entry to the HOF.

I put these guys (and probably more) in the HOF before I put TO in there (if the voters see it differently, who am I to judge):

Brett Favre
Jimmy Johnson
Eddie DeBartolo
Kurt Warner
Orlando Pace
Marvin Harrison
Darren Woodson
Rodney Harrison
Tony Dungy
Bill Cowher
Tom Flores
Terrell Davis
Roger Craig
Mark Schlereth
Daryl Johnston
^^^^^ Why would you put Marvin Harrison in before T.O. when T.O. is second all-time to Rice in receiving yardage with about 1500 more yards than Marvin and 25 more TD catches than Marvin? In fact, T.O. has more TD's than any offensive player on your list.

No matter what you think about him personally (and I thought he became a total dick in his time on the Niners), any player who is second in all-time yardage to Jerry Rice deserves to be in there on the first ballot IMO.
not only was he one of the best receivers of all time... he was also one of the best blockers of all time. Able to use his toughness, strength, and technique to help the run game. There was a reason our running game struggled after he and J.J. Stokes left the team. Both were great run blockers.. with T.O. keeping defenses from stacking the box.

he was also a great teammate on the field. I remember when Jeff Garcia threw an INT in the endzone, or close to it, when we played the Rams in St. Louis...and Aeneas Williams (one of the fastest CBs) almost took it to the house... but you could see T.O. never giving up on the play and somehow chased him down the sidelines... I know they didn't get a TD on that series, or might have been a missed FG. But that hustle on T.O.'s part (instead of throwing his hands up and just b***hing) Saved a T.D.

it's the little things like that, that separates elite players from great players. Not just to have the hustle to make the play, but the athletic ability to chase down of the games fastest players...who had a running head start.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM ]
this
Originally posted by crake49:
^^^^^ Why would you put Marvin Harrison in before T.O. when T.O. is second all-time to Rice in receiving yardage with about 1500 more yards than Marvin and 25 more TD catches than Marvin? In fact, T.O. has more TD's than any offensive player on your list.

No matter what you think about him personally (and I thought he became a total dick in his time on the Niners), any player who is second in all-time yardage to Jerry Rice deserves to be in there on the first ballot IMO.

lolwut?

5th in all-time TDs, 2nd in receiving yards. His career is on par with Randy Moss and is one of the best three WR to ever play this game. Lot's of me-first guys make it into the HOF. It's about talent and contributions on the football field. TO is a no-brainer.

"lolwut?" nothing. TO was a tremendously talented asshat who will probably get in the HOF one day, but should that be on the first ballot? Hell, no.

I give him props for putting up the numbers that he did in his career and working his arse off to come back from injury to play in Super Bowl XXXIX.

He wasn't the reason the Eagles lost that game and he garnered a lot of admiration from me for his efforts, I just don't think he merits first-ballot entry to the HOF.

I put these guys (and probably more) in the HOF before I put TO in there (if the voters see it differently, who am I to judge):

Brett Favre
Jimmy Johnson
Eddie DeBartolo
Kurt Warner
Orlando Pace
Marvin Harrison
Darren Woodson
Rodney Harrison
Tony Dungy
Bill Cowher
Tom Flores
Terrell Davis
Roger Craig
Mark Schlereth
Daryl Johnston

He's one of the best three WRs of all-time and is in the top 5 of all-time TDs. Being an asshat isn't one of the criteria for voting. The guy was a monster on the field and his stats prove it. He's as no-brainer as a first-balloter. And I would love to see why you think Marvin Harrison is more qualified for the HOF.
It's a team game, Harrison was a team player in the ultimate team game that contributed to a championship team. Granted many players who don't have the ring(s) are in the HOF, so the lack of one doesn't disqualify anyone. I get that some people don't care about how players conduct themselves and they mistakenly condone being a complete A-hole. Except for one murky instance in 2008, AFAIK, Harrison conducted himself with class. MH never talked s*** about his QB and never made a tantrum to get shipped out of two cities.

Yeah, TO had better numbers, is that a surprise? He should have had better numbers, he played longer than MH and he was more physically gifted. Even then their numbers are not all that drastically different. Take MH out of my list, I still have 14 more qualified candidates who should get in this year over TO. I didn't say that TO should never get in, just that he shouldn't get rewarded with first-ballot entry because IMO there are plenty of other candidates more deserving of entry to the HOF.
[ Edited by 49er-from-Yavin-IV on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM ]
1st ballot player (2nd greatest of all time)
big asswhole. He won't get in first time....
Originally posted by pdizo916:
1st ballot player (2nd greatest of all time)
big asswhole. He won't get in first time....

This.

I wonder what the odds will be on him getting in??

Originally posted by crake49:

TO should have better stats, he played longer than MH, and was more physically talented. IMM it's more about the qualifications of other candidates (receiver or not) than any personal feelings towards TO. As has been pointed out, and rightfully so, TO is very deserving of donning the yellow jacket one day. Guys in here have just cherry-picked MH out of my list because he is a receiver as is TO, forgetting the fact there are 14 other people on that list. I'm not saying TO should never get into the HOF, that is ridiculous, just that there are 8 more qualified candidates who should get in this year, before TO.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
not only was he one of the best receivers of all time... he was also one of the best blockers of all time. Able to use his toughness, strength, and technique to help the run game. There was a reason our running game struggled after he and J.J. Stokes left the team. Both were great run blockers.. with T.O. keeping defenses from stacking the box.

he was also a great teammate on the field. I remember when Jeff Garcia threw an INT in the endzone, or close to it, when we played the Rams in St. Louis...and Aeneas Williams (one of the fastest CBs) almost took it to the house... but you could see T.O. never giving up on the play and somehow chased him down the sidelines... I know they didn't get a TD on that series, or might have been a missed FG. But that hustle on T.O.'s part (instead of throwing his hands up and just b***hing) Saved a T.D.

it's the little things like that, that separates elite players from great players. Not just to have the hustle to make the play, but the athletic ability to chase down of the games fastest players...who had a running head start.
All that and so much more (mentioned within thin this thread and not yet mentioned) on the field conduct is to TO's credit. IMO is he deserving of being in the HOF? As one of the greatest of all time, he absolutely is. Just not on the first ballot.

It's sad that his off-the-field theatrics should ever come into play here, but IMO (as a non-HOF voter) they do. They speak for themselves and they speak loudly. They did when we was looking for work and still capable of contributing to teams but those teams wouldn't touch him, and they do now. IMO no one who pulled the kind of stunts TO pulled, or had the biggest all-about-me attitude, should ever be rewarded with first-ballot HOF entry for the ultimate team sport, not with the equally spectacular resumes of the candidates among his competition. Many, perhaps most, would disagree with me and probably those people will be among the majority decision makers for this years HOF inductees, but that is just how I see this particular topic.
TO should have better stats, he played longer than MH, and was more physically talented. IMM it's more about the qualifications of other candidates (receiver or not) than any personal feelings towards TO. As has been pointed out, and rightfully so, TO is very deserving of donning the yellow jacket one day. Guys in here have just cherry-picked MH out of my list because he is a receiver as is TO, forgetting the fact there are 14 other people on that list. I'm not saying TO should never get into the HOF, that is ridiculous, just that there are 8 more qualified candidates who should get in this year, before TO.

Marvin played 13 years and T.O. played for 15 years. But for most of Harrison's career, he had Peyton Manning throwing to him. So I don't buy that. I'd take in his prime T.O. over in his prime Harrison any day of the week.

And I'm guessing the comparison has more to do with Harrison being the only other WR than it does "cherry picking."
Mark Schlereth over T.O. is this a joke? Schlereth went to 2 Pro Bowls and in 5 out of his 12 seasons he played less than 8 games
Receivers seem to be on the waiting list, plus the fact he didn't endear himself to the cities he played for.
Dude is a first ballot and it shouldn't even be close. He's like the 3rd all time WR in yards and TDs, right?
Share 49ersWebzone