LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

NFL considering more Thursday football

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by blm7754:
RELAX GUYS!

I would bet the farm that we won't see online only NFL games anytime soon. There are several good reasons for this. For one, no online TV provider (Netflix, Hulu, Google, etc) has enough market share to bring in advertising dollars. Which means the NFL would need any deal with one of these providers to make up for those lost advertising dollars. Not going to happen.

An online provider like Netflix would certainly gain new customers by having an exclusive deal with the NFL. But probably not enough. Most consumers that don't already use online streaming video services would need to buy a set-top-box (Roku, Apple TV, etc), faster internet service, and possibly a newer TV in order to have the same football watching experience that they enjoy with typical Sunday/Monday games. That's too cost prohibitive.

I hope you're right man. Everything you said, aside from set-top box, I have been saying. People love it on TV, and some barely are able to afford it at the price it is. I imagine the NFL envisions a higher dollar tag for the ticket. Which would make a ton of NFL fans pissed. Especially long time DirecTV subscribers who are loyal, and mainly have t for the Ticket. I love my DirecTV, and yes, One reason is the Ticket, but I love the reception, never really goes out, and only for a few minutes. The equipment is great. I get all channels I want, etc... Lets hope the NFL and Goodell does whats best for the fans, and not whats best for business in his eyes.

I even thought about a petition to stop this kinda stuff from happening with the NFL. Not sure how many would sign though.
1 Thursday Night game is already bad as it is. Save that s**t for Thanksgiving
i used to not like them, i thought the product was diminished a bit, but now i'm all about more football. if we dont have a thursday game it becomes just another sunday game that gets lost in shuffle on the sunday ticket cus theres about 10 other games going on.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i used to not like them, i thought the product was diminished a bit, but now i'm all about more football. if we dont have a thursday game it becomes just another sunday game that gets lost in shuffle on the sunday ticket cus theres about 10 other games going on.

Dont get me wrong, I like TNF on NFL Network. Just not too much, and not on a paid access, I already pay enough for the Ticket. Why should I pay in addition for more TNF.

Plus the NFLPA would probably vote against, or protest, as it's too much wear and tear on players bodies. Which I am totally, 100% behind them.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Dont get me wrong, I like TNF on NFL Network. Just not too much, and not on a paid access, I already pay enough for the Ticket. Why should I pay in addition for more TNF.

Plus the NFLPA would probably vote against, or protest, as it's too much wear and tear on players bodies. Which I am totally, 100% behind them.

yeah i dont think there should be more of it, 1 game on tv every thursday. but i get their need for greed
Expand the rosters and increase the cap.

But all that will do is water down the talent pool.

TNF games aside from thanksgiving have got to go. I don't think Tuesday games would be much better because now you only have five days between games.

The London games are the key to increase revenue. Sure one or two teams a year lose a home game but the more viewers in Europe the better.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ

The NFL's Thursday night package will have to be simulcast on NFL Network. SBD Closing Bell has the details.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2014/01/15/thursdays.aspx
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Google can easily pay cash for a football package. they make billions and billions annually on advertising alone.
The prospective partnership with Google is rumored to be for the purpose of getting a "Sunday Ticket" type of package on YouTube. Under this scenario, you would pay a flat fee to stream the games to any device you want.

And I for one, am all for it. Should this happen, bye-bye DirecTV!
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
History repeats itself. Most fans were too young to remember when boxing was the #2 sport in the country back in the 50's. Pro Football was behind baseball, boxing, horse racing and college football in popularity and attendance. Boxing became saturated on television, and it never came back. The NFL can saturate the market with football 4 or 5 times a week with 16 and 18 game schedules, they will make a bundle of cash. However, with time the games will matter less and less, plus the increased injury concerns and parents not allowing their children to play because of health concerns, fan enthusiasm will decrease. The success of the NFL from the 60's onward was not over exposing the market. This is a classic case of more is less and less is more.
It's ok to have an opinion but where are your arguments?

As a fan, I APPRECIATE to watch football as often as I can. Ok, I wouldnt watch it every day...
Soccer in Europe is played on several days of the weekend and every second week from tuesday to thursday. There is no saturation at all. Furthermore, we are talking about a little expansion and not more. I think that every team willl have to play twice on a thursday, thats all.
The only thing a fan will care about is how much he has to pay for it in the first place. If it is for free, who cares?

Thursday night football always f**ks up my Fantasy football teams. So therefore, it should die.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
SBJ/SBD ‏@sbjsbd

SBD most-read: Sources say ABC is planning to bid for Thursday night NFL game package. http://bddy.me/1eWXT63
Originally posted by Jcool:
SBJ/SBD ‏@sbjsbd

SBD most-read: Sources say ABC is planning to bid for Thursday night NFL game package. http://bddy.me/1eWXT63

glad to hear this.
Just play on Sundays damnit!! I need an excuse to skip church.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

CBS to split Thursday Night Football package with NFL Network #HelloFriends http://sbn.to/1eUpinA
Share 49ersWebzone