LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

NFL considering more Thursday football

Shop 49ers game tickets
They should buy the time slots of all the crappy shows the networks have been producing and have 2 games every night. They could come up with some sort of reverse rotation so every team gets 5 days of rest and practice.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Who cares its one week all season they get a few less days. Big f**king whoop they'll be just fine. They know in months advance is gonna be shorter week I'm sure they can manage.

Again, I dont think you understand how much NFL players need to rest their bodies between games.

Again I don't really care, they make millions I'm sure they can do it and have doing it for 4 years. An extra day of football is not a bad thing for the fans, if you don't like you don't have to watch just many games on Sunday that we are not able to watch.

Well if you were reading my other posts, you would see I am not advocating that they eliminate Thursday Night Football all together. I just think that asking these players to play 4 days after their previous game makes for terrible football....which, of course, is absolutely what we have been watching on Thursdays.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I haven't watched a non-49er Thursday night game (excluding thanksgiving and season opener) in like two years. I just liked it better when Thursday night was college football weekend opener.

This is how it is for me as well. It's the night I get to watch college teams I wouldn't normally see on Saturdays.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Who cares its one week all season they get a few less days. Big f**king whoop they'll be just fine. They know in months advance is gonna be shorter week I'm sure they can manage.

Again, I dont think you understand how much NFL players need to rest their bodies between games.

Again I don't really care, they make millions I'm sure they can do it and have doing it for 4 years. An extra day of football is not a bad thing for the fans, if you don't like you don't have to watch just many games on Sunday that we are not able to watch.

Well if you were reading my other posts, you would see I am not advocating that they eliminate Thursday Night Football all together. I just think that asking these players to play 4 days after their previous game makes for terrible football....which, of course, is absolutely what we have been watching on Thursdays.

no worries, I can see how some people dont care for it. Myself if the match up is appealing I'll watch if Im not doing anything else. Unless its my team playing Im not going out of my way to watch it just like any other game.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Did you watch them all? First 6 games of the year were all good. Our game sucked because we did. Some meh blowouts but most were good games.

The GB hail mary game was epic

Not going to speak on game 1. Game 1 is opening night, so no excuses as far as rest and what not goes. It was a pretty good game overall.

Week 2? Sure, score wise it was a good game. But it was sloppy to say the least. Tons of penalties. Tons of unforced turnovers. This was not a good game.

Week 3? LOL. This game was a noncompetitive blowout from start to finish. You cant be serious about this being a good game.

Week 4? This was an ok game, I will give you that. Competitive at least. But these were two abysmal offenses trying to muster up any sort of excitement, yet fell flat. 600 total yards between 2 teams in an overtime game? Its not as if this game was dominated by two great defenses...just two terrible offenses.

Week 5? Good game. No real complaints. Competitive.

Week 6? Non-competitive game.

Week 7? Non-competitive game.

Week 8? Non-competitive game.

Week 9? Non-competitive game.

Week 10? This game wasnt particularly competitive either. Was a 3 score game into the 3rd quarter.

Week 11? This is probably a reflection on the two teams that played, but this game was a snoozefest.

Week 12? Three Thanksgiving games....none of which were memorable. Pretty bad football all the way around.

Week 13? This was an incredible comeback from Green Bay. But this wasnt a very well played football game. The ending made it great and memorable, so I will give you this one.

Week 14? Very competitive game that might have been one of the better ones in this list.

Week 15? Non-competitive game.

Week 16? Incredibly ugly game highlighted by poor play and an insane amount of penalties.

And there was obviously no game in week 17.

So, please explain to me how you can acknowledge there were some "meh blowouts" but also say that "most" were good games? Most of these games were NOT good games. An overwhelming majority of Thursday games feature terrible football.

Can you give proof those games would have been any better if they were played on sunday. There are just as many s**tty games on Sunday and mnf. The difference is if there even one is very minimal.

I gotta agree with you when I watch some games on Sunday they are boring and flat. Most games I actually flip through seem boring and only get exciting at the end like most games do. Thursday football is fine in my book.
Ask the fans what they think? That would just make too much f**king sense! The NFL cares about nothing but money. Yeah, we all knew that already. So if that really is the case, then why not be cheap and drop the Pro Bowl that no one watches?

no worries, I can see how some people dont care for it. Myself if the match up is appealing I'll watch if Im not doing anything else. Unless its my team playing Im not going out of my way to watch it just like any other game.

I personally love the fact that there is football on Thursday. Gives me something to do on an uneventful weekday night. My problems is the overall quality of the product.....which I personally feel would improve if the two teams playing on Thursday night would have a BYE week the week before.

I know it would be difficult to schedule, but would definitely help the quality of the games.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Ask the fans what they think? That would just make too much f**king sense! The NFL cares about nothing but money. Yeah, we all knew that already. So if that really is the case, then why not be cheap and drop the Pro Bowl that no one watches?

Again, I dont think anyone is advocating the elimination of TNF.
The NFL is slowly but surely ruining the game they tout so much. The rules changes have been bad enough...but to add more Thursday night games is just plain STUPID. It shows the league is all about the cha-ching and could basically care less about the safety and welfare of its players. Goodell needs to go...and the owners need to hire a commissioner more like MLB's Rob Manfred. He employs a common sense approach, one Goodell would be wise to use, but seems incapable of it.
Man, if I owned a business and new for a fact that I could make a billion more by doing this, he'll yeah I would.

NFL can take a shot on everyone right now and still make billions. Why not? It gonna be done in 20 or 30 years anyway.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Wow I guess some of you just dont like football. Going to so much trouble to try and prove the quality of gameplay on a short week. Ok lol

There are hundreds of factors on why teams play like crap. You cant say being tired is the only reason a team as an off game on a thursday.

Anyway this thread is not about adding more games. Only networks to show games already being played lol.

I normally wouldn't see seattle vs sf but because it was a thursday game I got to watch it.

What's wrong with more free football?
[ Edited by SoCold on Feb 2, 2016 at 3:32 AM ]
Wow I guess some of you just dont like football. Going to so much trouble to try and prove the quality of gameplay on a short week. Ok lol

There are hundreds of factors on why teams play like crap. You cant say being tired is the only reason a team as an off game on a thursday.

Anyway this thread is not about adding more games. Only networks to show games already being played lol.

I normally wouldn't see seattle vs sf but because it was a thursday game I got to watch it.

Bruh it's about the quality of the games. Most of these Thursday games have been terrible. The play has been poor or mostly the home teams are dominating the road teams who have to travel on a short week. Being tired isn't the only reason but it's the main reason. I just don't watch a terrible games just b/c it's the NFL. I'll go find something else to do with my time. I tend to find the college football Thursday night games much more entertaining or the NBA if the season has started.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by lamontb:

Bruh it's about the quality of the games. Most of these Thursday games have been terrible. The play has been poor or mostly the home teams are dominating the road teams who have to travel on a short week. Being tired isn't the only reason but it's the main reason. I just don't watch a terrible games just b/c it's the NFL. I'll go find something else to do with my time. I tend to find the college football Thursday night games much more entertaining or the NBA if the season has started.

That's cool. I'd rather watch a sloppy NFL game than anything else that's on tv.

IMO it's an excuse. By that thinking there is no way Denver should have gone into KC in week 2 on Thursday and won while being so tired. I guess KC turning the ball over 5 times had nothing to do with Denver's great defense. KC was just too tired to hold onto the ball.

I get it I just don't agree. Good coaches have their players prepared for all situations. Good players make plays.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That's cool. I'd rather watch a sloppy NFL game than anything else that's on tv.

IMO it's an excuse. By that thinking there is no way Denver should have gone into KC in week 2 on Thursday and won while being so tired. I guess KC turning the ball over 5 times had nothing to do with Denver's great defense. KC was just too tired to hold onto the ball.

I get it I just don't agree. Good coaches have their players prepared for all situations. Good players make plays.

Remember that Thursday game niners vs lions when we jumped off sides like 8 times. Oh wait that was on Sunday.
The best only thing I don't like about this is that streaming "live" content is not really live at all; there's at least a 30 second delay, but closer to a minute. Live off the air and cable broadcasts usually carry a delay of a few seconds (6 or so), and satellite adds about 2 seconds.

Sell the Thursday night package to ESPN, and broadcast Monday night football on ABC. That way people without cable can see at least 2 days of football.
Share 49ersWebzone