LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

Bigger,Faster,Stronger and Younger

Shop 49ers game tickets
At this point in the young season its safe to say they are the better team. One thing they have going for them is their identity. They know exactly who an what they are. Its seems we still are figuring out what kind of offense we are going to be. Its Kaps first full season and we dont quite know what we have going yet. It is a real long season and Jim Harbaugh will definitely move us in the right direction but Seattle is in mid season form right now. I dont believe its a question of toughness. Our defense played really well on a real short field all night. We also layed some real big hits and had some great stops. They are no younger than we are, we have 2 or 3 guys that bust the avg. Smith, Goodwin, Boldin. Niners, barring health will be ok. Our penalties are obsurd. I think we we the 3rd most penalized team last year an we are absolutely destroying that this year. It is disgusting and uncalled for. So many personal fouls, so many fouls for technique issues special teams. It has to stop or we will go nowhere.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by LanceQ:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Yes, I believe they do have our number. Forget about the past, nothing ever stays constant in the NFL. I don't think the Seahawks will necessarily lose at the Stick. I hope I am wrong, but what if we lose in the home game ?

we won't

All I can say is I hope you are right.
I agree that the Seahawks may have our number. Ever since Lynch has been there we haven't been able to stop him. Running or catching the ball. He seems to be the 49ER killer. There were definitely much more physical than us. I'm just amazed out of all the Backs we've played that we don't have an answer for Lynch.

Marshawn Lynch is arguably the most dominating and physical back in the business. We might have a lot of backs, but they are not game changer type backs. We don't have big power backs that has explosiveness and speed to power through.

But, is more than Beast Mode. The Legion Of Boom is the real deal. They didn't even need double-teams, they were disciplined and carried out their own man-to-man assignments and completely shut down our wideouts.

Not that we are soft per se, but they are just much tougher than us, basically on a completely different level. In both games, we literally had to cart off multiple injured players. Our guys just can't handle that kind of beating and physicality. Normally it is us who dish it out to teams, but heck not with the Seahawks, like what Michael Irving said they beat us down. They basically beat us into a pulp.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap2000000245262/The-Seahawks-domination
You're right, they beat us DOWN! No Mercy! The Seahawks was the bowling ball and we were the pins in the strike zone. We have to find a way to be physical on offense. The Packers during the Farve tenure did the same thing to us.
You're right, they beat us DOWN! No Mercy! The Seahawks was the bowling ball and we were the pins in the strike zone. We have to find a way to be physical on offense. The Packers during the Farve tenure did the same thing to us.

This won't happen at our place. They need that crowd to be good.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
It's clear to me that Seattle game planned for THIS game during the off-season and overlooked last week. That's why they almost lost lat week and looked like they were in our huddle this week. That's what happens. They're obsessed with us and that obsession gives them the ability to study our tendencies with a microscope. I don't see the Seahawks duplicating last night's performance at any point this season. This was their Super Bowl. We will still win the real one.
[ Edited by SaksV on Sep 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM ]
That's funny, after the game last night these were my exact thoughts...they are bigger, stronger, faster and their coordinators were much smarter last night. For instance, I have been besides myself noting how poor we are on first down production (4+ yards) and how that constantly puts us in predictable 2nd and 3rd and longs playing right into the hands of any team with a pass rush. HaRoMan's game plan was horrendous. And then on the other side, you have Fangio who FINALLY decides to blitz but does it with his backup FS inside the RZ. Brilliant! Then of course, the ignored issue all off season was the lack of a dynamic punt returner and ST coverage units. Another monster fail. And our achilles is that was have an ability like a young college team to shoot ourselves in the foot constantly with stupid penalties at the most inopportune times.

One thing we have seen with this team is that when we are clicking, we're clicking and are unstoppable but when we lose, it's a collosal fail from top-to-bottom, on every single level. The only single positive play last night was McDonald running over Dick Sherman.

PS: I had no idea CK could play this badly; he was absolutely gun shy last night. Hopefully he got ALL of this type of play out of his system!
Its only 1 game. When the schedule came out I assume most people (like myself) chalked up Week 2 @ Seattle as a LOSS. We lost and thats it. It was an ugly game, but whether we played well and lost, or poor and lost the result would be the same. The worst part is the injuries to Ian Williams, Reid, and Vernon.

Lets hope at least two can return next week vs. Colts who should be ready to play after being upset by Miami.
Lynch is way better than Gore,,, he is a mauler,, gore is no longer a great runner,,, he is a great pass blocker which is why none of the other RB's can break the starting lineup... I wish we had a big RB that could punish teams
We need to go back to the drawing board when playing them.

They were more physical. I'm not sure how to fix that.

We need another WR who can play against their BIG corners.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Seriously, their entire team looked ripped...who knew Sherman @ 6'3" could stay with VD stride-for-stride on a deep sideline pass. Normally, VD would have at least a 5 yard cushion and have to come back for an underthrown CK deep ball.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Originally posted by NCommand:

Seriously, their entire team looked ripped...who knew Sherman @ 6'3" could stay with VD stride-for-stride on a deep sideline pass. Normally, VD would have at least a 5 yard cushion and have to come back for an underthrown CK deep ball.

To me, that will involve personnel and team culture. I have some ideas, but is part of a bigger discussion. I think is hard to turn it around with what we have right now. What I am thinking about involves a major rejig and rethink.

In the meantime, let's see whether we can develop the new players we got especially the wideouts and see how we play as a team with this new unit. But, one thing for sure we will need to instill a new mindset into the team.

If you look at the Seahawks, the type of guys they like are quite different to ours by and large. We are far more specific and put quite a heavy weighting on personality. They are far more relaxed in that regard. They don't mind taking a chance as part of their culture and allow their guys to be themselves far more. Let me give you an example, if Vernon was a draft prospect today and if he was like the way he used to be when he first came into the league, under the Harbaugh Era, I seriously doubt we would draft him. If you get my drift, I guess what I am saying and sensing is we may lack a certain edge in terms of attitude and the way we play football. I don't want to go too deep into it unless you guys like to discuss it.

• buck
  • Veteran

To me, that will involve personnel and team culture. I have some ideas, but is part of a bigger discussion. I think is hard to turn it around with what we have right now. What I am thinking about involves a major rejig and rethink.

In the meantime, let's see whether we can develop the new players we got especially the wideouts and see how we play as a team with this new unit. But, one thing for sure we will need to instill a new mindset into the team.

If you look at the Seahawks, the type of guys they like are quite different to ours by and large. We are far more specific and put quite a heavy weighting on personality. They are far more relaxed in that regard. They don't mind taking a chance as part of their culture and allow their guys to be themselves far more. Let me give you an example, if Vernon was a draft prospect today and if he was like the way he used to be when he first came into the league, under the Harbaugh Era, I seriously doubt we would draft him. If you get my drift, I guess what I am saying and sensing is we may lack a certain edge in terms of attitude and the way we play football. I don't want to go too deep into it unless you guys like to discuss it.

My guess is that you do not agree very much with what Baalke and Harbaugh have done with the team.

But, that is only a guess.

Do you think that the team look for a new general manager and new head coach?
That's funny, after the game last night these were my exact thoughts...they are bigger, stronger, faster and their coordinators were much smarter last night. For instance, I have been besides myself noting how poor we are on first down production (4+ yards) and how that constantly puts us in predictable 2nd and 3rd and longs playing right into the hands of any team with a pass rush. HaRoMan's game plan was horrendous. And then on the other side, you have Fangio who FINALLY decides to blitz but does it with his backup FS inside the RZ. Brilliant! Then of course, the ignored issue all off season was the lack of a dynamic punt returner and ST coverage units. Another monster fail. And our achilles is that was have an ability like a young college team to shoot ourselves in the foot constantly with stupid penalties at the most inopportune times.

One thing we have seen with this team is that when we are clicking, we're clicking and are unstoppable but when we lose, it's a collosal fail from top-to-bottom, on every single level. The only single positive play last night was McDonald running over Dick Sherman.

PS: I had no idea CK could play this badly; he was absolutely gun shy last night. Hopefully he got ALL of this type of play out of his system!

Well, I hate to say it, but this Seattle team could be one of the strongest teams in the last decade or so. People will talk about Colin's horrendous game, but, man, that Seattle team is completely reaping the rewards of having FOUR SUPREMELY PHYSICAL PROBOWL SECONDARY PLAYERS all on rookie contracts (I believe). Sherman IS the best. Kam and Earl are easily top-5 in the league at their positions. We've seen, over the last couple of years, how our pass rush hides an average / above-average secondary over here. Seattle is different. Seattle's passrush will be coming in WAVES and their secondary just enjoys legally manhandling receivers week in and week out. Seattle's defense is gonna make a LOT of really good quarterbacks look helpless all year.

The good news is that no NFL team can shoulder the contracts THAT MANY elite players. They gotta pay Russell. Lynch. They already overpaid for Harvin. Okung. Sherman. Kam. Earl. Browner. Irvin. Come on. They reapin' for AMAZING draft decisions. Super scary team this year.
they're much kinder, sweeter and more appreciative of our team too,

The way the cuddle the heck out of our WRs every (and I do mean) every single play is a good image for any youngster, no wonder the refs never penalise them. I love their new kind of football (the one no other team gets to play in The NFL) it's very sweet.

And to do it twice in a row ? No wonder the zebras love them, they are adorable.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Its only 1 game. When the schedule came out I assume most people (like myself) chalked up Week 2 @ Seattle as a LOSS. We lost and thats it. It was an ugly game, but whether we played well and lost, or poor and lost the result would be the same. The worst part is the injuries to Ian Williams, Reid, and Vernon.

Lets hope at least two can return next week vs. Colts who should be ready to play after being upset by Miami.

dont leave out ray mcdonald he was also injured
...The Legion of Hugs.
Share 49ersWebzone