LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Bigger,Faster,Stronger and Younger

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mod
  • Veteran
I thought our D looked fantastic

Our offense was rattled out there... couple the physical nature that seattle brings with the distracting noise and you get an ineffective offense. Our D could only hold their composure for so long before even they broke down.

This could end up being a completely different game had it been played in SF. 14 games to go, I wouldnt worry quite yet. There is little to worry about unless Seattle wins the #1 playoff seed.
Originally posted by captveg:
All I know is that if the Seahawks ever get the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs they are 99% Super Bowl bound. So they need to lose 5 of their final 7 games on the road this year.

Hawks can be beat at their house, like many of the folks on here said... play clean football like the last time the Niners beat them. West coast game... short passes... Run. Clock management is key
Can't it just be that we're too aggressive? I think we were too worried about getting a lead early. Kaep needs to take a page from Alex's book and become captain checkdown vs Seattle.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Yes, I believe they do have our number. Forget about the past, nothing ever stays constant in the NFL. I don't think the Seahawks will necessarily lose at the Stick. I hope I am wrong, but what if we lose in the home game ?

what makes you think they'll win.

they play completely different at home...

we had 5 turnovers tonight and more than a few gave them the short field their offense didn't even have 300 yards didn't have a 100 yard rusher or a 200 yard passer wilson only completed 8 passes tonight.

our number offensively no.

jim went soft and that cost us.

we lose when we play teams that use our formula against us and not because we're not up for the challenge defensively but because offensively we become cute and mess the entire game up.

lap can't have 4 turnovers.. and then say they have our number.. not really.

it was 5-0 at half time

and 12-3 and we had the ball in the 4th...

piling on points makes it look worse than what it was and fumbles on kick offs and interceptions giving them short fields will do that to you

I think they have a good chance (not will) of beating us at home because they are basically better than us in many areas/positions across the board.

Our D was doing pretty OK to begin with, no argument there, but once they couldn't get off the field, the tide turned. Then their O started to pick us apart bit by bit. Once that tide gathered momentum, that was when blowouts happened in both games.

Offense wise, not that Jim went soft on us, I would say overall we don't match up well with their D. Their D is just too good for us. To begin with, they stuffed the run, their secondary is superb and basically shut down pretty much all our receivers. Kap gets flustered with their D. He misses reads, progressions and will eventually get out of his comfort zone and start throwing picks.

Overall, we are just not as big, strong and young as them. We may do well against other teams or they may do less well with certain teams, but bottomline if you are talking about head-to-head, just them against us, they have our number. We couldn't even get a single TD today. Even when the Packers lost to them they were behind until that infamous Hail Mary. The Falcons aerial game was also just too much for them or most to handle, but even so they only just beat them.

Once again, I hope I am wrong cos it doesn't look like we can overturn their dominance on us at this juncture. If we want to beat them consistently, be it at Clink or elsewhere, in my opinion we will have to upgrade in quite a number of positions. What is happening is like the Packers with us, we beat them in the first game in last year's regular season, they thought they would beat us in the playoffs and ended up getting smoked and this last game they brought all the attitude and physicality that they could manage and still couldn't quite get it done. But, at least the Packers were far closer this time and only lost by 6. As for us, we totally got creamed by the Seahawks in both games, there were just no contest to speak of.

You think I like it ? I hate it, but there is no choice.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Oh come on now. No one should be saying that yet. They have the most epic home field advantage ever. They barely beat an 0-2 team last week. The 12th man is only allowed to play in 8 of their games.

THIS

its impossible to communicate on offense

plus they do have the best D in the league...ill take a loss if we can win next week
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Yes, I believe they do have our number. Forget about the past, nothing ever stays constant in the NFL. I don't think the Seahawks will necessarily lose at the Stick. I hope I am wrong, but what if we lose in the home game ?

we won't

All I can say is I hope you are right.
Our offensive line could not open any holes for our running backs. Our receivers could not break away from their safeties and cornerbacks. It was really disgusting!
Originally posted by mod:
I thought our D looked fantastic

Our offense was rattled out there... couple the physical nature that seattle brings with the distracting noise and you get an ineffective offense. Our D could only hold their composure for so long before even they broke down.

This could end up being a completely different game had it been played in SF. 14 games to go, I wouldnt worry quite yet. There is little to worry about unless Seattle wins the #1 playoff seed.

Our D was fantastic! The offense did not give our D enough time to rest. That is why they got tired towards the end of the game.
I think they have a good chance (not will) of beating us at home because they are basically better than us in many areas/positions across the board.

Our D was doing pretty OK to begin with, no argument there, but once they couldn't get off the field, the tide turned. Then their O started to pick us apart bit by bit. Once that tide gathered momentum, that was when blowouts happened in both games.

Offense wise, not that Jim went soft on us, I would say overall we don't match up well with their D. Their D is just too good for us. To begin with, they stuffed the run, their secondary is superb and basically shut down pretty much all our receivers. Kap gets flustered with their D. He misses reads, progressions and will eventually get out of his comfort zone and start throwing picks.

Overall, we are just not as big, strong and young as them. We may do well against other teams or they may do less well with certain teams, but bottomline if you are talking about head-to-head, just them against us, they have our number. We couldn't even get a single TD today. Even when the Packers lost to them they were behind until that infamous Hail Mary. The Falcons aerial game was also just too much for them or most to handle, but even so they only just beat them.

Once again, I hope I am wrong cos it doesn't look like we can overturn their dominance on us at this juncture. If we want to beat them consistently, be it at Clink or elsewhere, in my opinion we will have to upgrade in quite a number of positions. What is happening is like the Packers with us, we beat them in the first game in last year's regular season, they thought they would beat us in the playoffs and ended up getting smoked and this last game they brought all the attitude and physicality that they could manage and still couldn't quite get it done. But, at least the Packers were far closer this time and only lost by 6. As for us, we totally got creamed by the Seahawks in both games, there were just no contest to speak of.

You think I like it ? I hate it, but there is no choice.

i disagree with your outlook completely.

the loss was in the game plan. the defense was stellar. you can't turn the ball over 4 times on offense while going 3 and out and expect to keep them off the scoreboard at home.

look at the stats... Wilson was 8-19 for 149 yards and a td.. with an int. that's hardly having our number. he never has great stats against us, he just gets a short field to work with due to turnovers.

also they stuffed the run because we didn't give an effort to do it. seattle ran it 47 times for a 3 yard per carry average, that isn't lighting it up. they broke some and got tackled for losses on some but they KEPT RUNNING.

if i tell you that we hold lynch under 100, and wilson goes 8-19 we should win that game...

seattle didn't even have 300 yards of total offense..

HOWEVER when you constantly turn the ball over this is what happens. they piled on points at the end with short fields and had one drive where we had bone head penalties that's it.

so if our defense punished them like they did how aren't they as big fast or strong?

now offensively. we didn't try to run. we ran cute plays, we didn't run whams we didn't run traps we didn't pull guards. we didn't try to run the ball. again the teams that beat us are the teams that do what we're supposed to do while we do something else. 20 carries and 9 of them by kap?

1st get under center and hand the ball off and power them

OR

spread them out totally and test their db's what happened to the bunch formation we ran just last week?
how doesn't a bunch wr screen work against man to man coverage? it does.

the plan was horrible. it was not personnel

they don't go 5 defensive backs deep. they don't even go 4.

no linebacker they have can cover vernon so why wouldn't we make sure one is on him?

why wouldn't we challenge them and get into a run package and have mcdonald and davis line up both capable of blocking and catching passes?

why wouldn't we run in the red zone instead of shotgun spreading it out?

and these are red zone issues we have with every team

Seattle is a good team a worthy foe but they don't have our number. they simply played 2 games in seattle. last season was a perfect storm.

Tonight the offense failed us due to game plan not personnel.

We can't even judge how they would do with our personnel cause for whatever reason the coaches don't like to use them..

why aren't patton and more getting more reps? why isn't mcdonald in all the time with davis?

why did hunter only get in in the 4th quarter for 1 snap when the game was totally out of reach?

this wasn't us at our best and prepared and they destroyed us.

like i said playing horrible we were down 12-3 with the ball in the 4th quarter..

Kap had his worst night as a pro. 60% of that was on him. 40% was on jim and greg for the plan they thought would work which didn't
Originally posted by strinersniners:
Our offensive line could not open any holes for our running backs. Our receivers could not break away from their safeties and cornerbacks. It was really disgusting!

our offensive line works best with the run plays we ran these past 2 seasons.

pulling guards getting them out and open

they did none of this tonight. none of it.

and we were sending 2wr routes out there with bruce miller and gore.. instead of using the skills of patton and moore

kyle williams is not a #2 receiver im sorry. moore should start over him

and he def shouldn't be our returner AGAIN like we didn't learn from the last time

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
i disagree with your outlook completely.

the loss was in the game plan. the defense was stellar. you can't turn the ball over 4 times on offense while going 3 and out and expect to keep them off the scoreboard at home.

look at the stats... Wilson was 8-19 for 149 yards and a td.. with an int. that's hardly having our number. he never has great stats against us, he just gets a short field to work with due to turnovers.

also they stuffed the run because we didn't give an effort to do it. seattle ran it 47 times for a 3 yard per carry average, that isn't lighting it up. they broke some and got tackled for losses on some but they KEPT RUNNING.

if i tell you that we hold lynch under 100, and wilson goes 8-19 we should win that game...

seattle didn't even have 300 yards of total offense..

HOWEVER when you constantly turn the ball over this is what happens. they piled on points at the end with short fields and had one drive where we had bone head penalties that's it.

so if our defense punished them like they did how aren't they as big fast or strong?

now offensively. we didn't try to run. we ran cute plays, we didn't run whams we didn't run traps we didn't pull guards. we didn't try to run the ball. again the teams that beat us are the teams that do what we're supposed to do while we do something else. 20 carries and 9 of them by kap?

1st get under center and hand the ball off and power them

OR

spread them out totally and test their db's what happened to the bunch formation we ran just last week?
how doesn't a bunch wr screen work against man to man coverage? it does.

the plan was horrible. it was not personnel

they don't go 5 defensive backs deep. they don't even go 4.

no linebacker they have can cover vernon so why wouldn't we make sure one is on him?

why wouldn't we challenge them and get into a run package and have mcdonald and davis line up both capable of blocking and catching passes?

why wouldn't we run in the red zone instead of shotgun spreading it out?

and these are red zone issues we have with every team

Seattle is a good team a worthy foe but they don't have our number. they simply played 2 games in seattle. last season was a perfect storm.

Tonight the offense failed us due to game plan not personnel.

We can't even judge how they would do with our personnel cause for whatever reason the coaches don't like to use them..

why aren't patton and more getting more reps? why isn't mcdonald in all the time with davis?

why did hunter only get in in the 4th quarter for 1 snap when the game was totally out of reach?

this wasn't us at our best and prepared and they destroyed us.

like i said playing horrible we were down 12-3 with the ball in the 4th quarter..

Kap had his worst night as a pro. 60% of that was on him. 40% was on jim and greg for the plan they thought would work which didn't

You know what ? All the stats you looked at, you forgot the most important of all - the score. Sure you can put blame on the turnovers which is valid, but what is even more important is what caused it ? Simple, we just couldn't move the ball against them which leads to your point about the game plan.

I don't disagree with you on changing up the schemes and game plan cos heck at this point we need to try anything. But, I doubt we could effectively run against them. Kap should have started to run from the start, be it design runs or scrambles to help to gain yards and open up looks for Frank to run up their gut. Kap's reluctance to run basically killed us tonight. Once Frank couldn't run and Kap couldn't throw with the WRs covered, we just couldn't move the chains and thus the non-stop 3 and outs.

But, personnel factors in. Our RB corps is too weak. Frank is getting on and if the lanes are shut down he is not fast enough to run on the outside. Hunter is too small, not particularly explosive and lacks power. LMJ is a worse version of Hunter. What we need are big power backs with speed and explosiveness who can really power through.

As for WRs, if their secondary is as good as it is, you really need top wideouts who can both burn and out-physical them. Look at Falcons, Julio and Roddy can do it against them no problem. But, these are big and fast premium high 1st round top picks. In other words, it requires proper investment and an aggressive drafting strategy to make that possible.

DBs, I don't think you need me to tell you how superior their personnel are comparing to our guys. Big, tall, fast and can play press coverage.

The O-lines and D-lines are probably quite close, but at least they could run on us a bit, partially helped by how powerful Beast Mode is.

Then, the QBs, as good as Kap is he gets flustered. Wilson is far more calm and collected plus he can also make all the throws. His darts might not be as fast as Kap's, but his touch passes, fades and deep balls are arguably better than Kap's.

That pretty much covers it.

I don't know where will we go from here, probably not much will change cos in general we do OK with most teams. Only a handful of teams give us problems, Giants, Rams and most of all Seahawks. At this point, I am inclined to say the Seahawks will continue to have our number until proven otherwise, that is my stance. I just feel I have seen more than enough in the past 2 games. It was total domination. Period. Remember they don't need 500 offensive yards to dominate us, when we have non-stop 3 and outs with our D not being able to get off the field, they can just take their own sweet time to pick us apart aided by our turnovers as we get pressurized to score.

One thing we forgot to mention is injuries, is it just a coincidence that in both games we suffered multiple injuries ? I think not. They play with an attitude and extreme physicality. We just can't handle that kind of beating. Our guys are not exactly softies such as Ray McDonald and Eric Reid, but they are just one level up from us.

With that said, I guess the home game in December should give us the definitive answer. In my opinion, unless we repay the favour and blow them out at the Stick, a win by a few points still say to me they are better than us, be it in terms of personnel or as you suggest game planning. So, we shall see.
[ Edited by Rascal on Sep 16, 2013 at 5:28 AM ]
I think it was obvious we just didn't have it last night. They were a step quicker all around. It also feels like we've made so much of Kaep protecting himself and avoiding getting hit, that he's hesitant to really break it open and just play football. Doesnt seem like he's the same guy he was in the playoffs.

And now he's got no eyebrows.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I think it was obvious we just didn't have it last night. They were a step quicker all around. It also feels like we've made so much of Kaep protecting himself and avoiding getting hit, that he's hesitant to really break it open and just play football. Doesnt seem like he's the same guy he was in the playoffs.

And now he's got no eyebrows.

Have you seen his postgame interview yet ? Oh my God, is probaby at least on par with the Super Bowl loss, is unbearable to watch.

we won't

I agree that the Seahawks may have our number. Ever since Lynch has been there we haven't been able to stop him. Running or catching the ball. He seems to be the 49ER killer. There were definitely much more physical than us. I'm just amazed out of all the Backs we've played that we don't have an answer for Lynch.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LanceQ:

we won't

I agree that the Seahawks may have our number. Ever since Lynch has been there we haven't been able to stop him. Running or catching the ball. He seems to be the 49ER killer. There were definitely much more physical than us. I'm just amazed out of all the Backs we've played that we don't have an answer for Lynch.

Marshawn Lynch is arguably the most dominating and physical back in the business. We might have a lot of backs, but they are not game changer type backs. We don't have big power backs that has explosiveness and speed to power through.

But, is more than Beast Mode. The Legion Of Boom is the real deal. They didn't even need double-teams, they were disciplined and carried out their own man-to-man assignments and completely shut down our wideouts.

Not that we are soft per se, but they are just much tougher than us, basically on a completely different level. In both games, we literally had to cart off multiple injured players. Our guys just can't handle that kind of beating and physicality. Normally it is us who dish it out to teams, but heck not with the Seahawks, like what Michael Irving said they beat us down. They basically beat us into a pulp.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap2000000245262/The-Seahawks-domination
Share 49ersWebzone