There are 168 users in the forums

Eagles WR Riley Cooper at country concert: "I will fight every n****r here"

Shop 49ers game tickets
The N word has a long and disgusting history of being associated with slavery and terrible discrimination. I think that many blacks have tried to co-opt the N word as a way to "thumb their noses" at people who use the word derogatorily. That is an understandable response, but it has led some people to think that it is okay for anyone to use the word any time they want. But context matters a lot. If a black person uses the word to, in a sense, take the power away from the word, that is not anywhere near the same as someone using the word in a way that belittles someone because of their race - evoking associations with the sordid history of slavery and discrimination. It's certainly possible for a white person to use the term in a way that is not intended to evoke those associations, but in general because of our nation's horrible history with slavery and discrimination, it's better for white people not to use the word or to use it only with the greatest of care. But, though I understand the impulse of black people to use the term to diminish it's power, doing so does send a mixed message and blurs the issue, so it shouldn't be surprising that some people see hypocrisy in it being okay for in blacks to use it but not whites. I think a lot of people just don't appreciate how much context matters and that muddies the issue a great deal.

With respect to what Cooper said, again, context matters a lot. If you look at the context, I think it is evident that he intended to use the word in a racially derogatory manner and is deserving of the consequences he is undergoing because of it (at least as long as the consequences do not involve violence against him).
[ Edited by 49erphan on Aug 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM ]
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155500/stan-gets-it
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
WASPs lose their job if they use the n word

Hip hop makes $$$ of the n-word.

that's America for ya.

hypocrites and double standards. Cooper says a word that everyone uses around him, yet he uses it once and will probably get cut for it while Jay Z was just #1 on the bill board when the #1 song on it goes like this

verse 1

I just landed in Europe, n***a
Shopping bags, I'm a tourist, n***a
Money talk I speak fluent, n***a
Reeboks on, I just do it, n***a
Look at me, I'm pure n***a
I bet the hoes on my tour, n***a

Retards don't know they are retards. It's not a double standard it's a word used by whites to put blacks down. When blacks flip it and make it mean something else then they also wanna use it in that context.

Ps cooper said ni** eR not ni**a jt is a difference just like a cracka and a cracker are 2 different things
But I don't expect you to fully understand. Just continue being a follower and thinking "if jay-z says it it must be ok" smh
So if that one racist country singer says it its ok.
SMH

add the a and its ok

lol

Like I said most wont get it. But I would t expect you to when you get your black culture from jay Z records.

that's America for ya.

hypocrites and double standards. Cooper says a word that everyone uses around him, yet he uses it once and will probably get cut for it while Jay Z was just #1 on the bill board when the #1 song on it goes like this

verse 1

Retards don't know they are retards. It's not a double standard it's a word used by whites to put blacks down. When blacks flip it and make it mean something else then they also wanna use it in that context.

Ps cooper said ni** eR not ni**a jt is a difference just like a cracka and a cracker are 2 different things
But I don't expect you to fully understand. Just continue being a follower and thinking "if jay-z says it it must be ok" smh
SMH

add the a and its ok

lol

Like I said most wont get it. But I would t expect you to when you get your black culture from jay Z records.

dont micro manage my point, remove "jay z" and there are hundreds of hip hop artists that make $$$ off the word.

lol

And I'm guessing you never heard of "Johnny rebel" he has also gotten rich off the word. But in different context
For example his song "move those n****rs up north" the list goes on. Whites were getting rich off calling blacks n****rs loooooong before blacks found out they can do the same thing but twist it in a positive light. But I wouldn't you to expect that. I bet you're the kinda kid that tells his mom to shut up when she tells you to clean your room huh.

LOL

i said hip hop artists, not black people

dont get your panties in a bunch .... with the cornball kid stuff
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

SMH

I am with you bro but I also see the argument for there being a double standard. If you punish 1 player for saying the word then you must punish everyone and then we have to change what music is played in the locker room also. People from Chicago say "Ka" and I say "car" but it means the same thing. I agree that to US ni$$a is different than ni$$er but how can the league possibly distinguish this difference with tangible proof. We could end up fining and suspending a lot of people so the best thing for US to do would be to find a different term to use for US or just start addressing one another the same way we would anyone else as difficult as this might be. I hear Master P radio version years back and it went like "this is for the homies and the thug figgas ugghh"
That's when judgement is used . White guy being held back by white guys (at a country show) screaming "I will fight every n****r here" is a lot different than black guy talking to another black guy having fun and saying "good play my n***a" one is used as hatred (doesn't necessarily mean he was black but used as hatred) therefor if huge IF he's suspended it won't be for saying the word it will be for saying it in a way of hatred (IMO) . It's a judgement call

that's America for ya.

verse 1

SMH

add the a and its ok

lol

that's America for ya.

verse 1

SMH

add the a and its ok

lol

dont micro manage my point, remove "jay z" and there are hundreds of hip hop artists that make $$$ off the word.

lol

And I'm guessing you never heard of "Johnny rebel" he has also gotten rich off the word. But in different context
For example his song "move those n****rs up north" the list goes on. Whites were getting rich off calling blacks n****rs loooooong before blacks found out they can do the same thing but twist it in a positive light. But I wouldn't you to expect that. I bet you're the kinda kid that tells his mom to shut up when she tells you to clean your room huh.

LOL

i said hip hop artists, not black people

dont get your panties in a bunch .... with the cornball kid stuff

It's true what they say when you go way over someone's head and give them more knowledge them they can take they regurgitate.

So FYI country music singers have gotten rich waaaaay before hip hop was a genre off calling blacks n****rs.
That's your history lesson for the day
It's true what they say when you go way over someone's head and give them more knowledge them they can take they regurgitate.

So FYI country music singers have gotten rich waaaaay before hip hop was a genre off calling blacks n****rs.

cool story bro

what does this have to do with the double standard argument? how does a country singer using the n word in a toxic way have anything to do with hip hop using the word in a non toxic racial manner?

explain
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Wrong. His comment was directed at BLACK security guards. The words ni&&er and Ni&&a are different words with different meanings and they are NOT interchangeable.

That's when judgement is used . White guy being held back by white guys (at a country show) screaming "I will fight every n****r here" is a lot different than black guy talking to another black guy having fun and saying "good play my n***a" one is used as hatred (doesn't necessarily mean he was black but used as hatred) therefor if huge IF he's suspended it won't be for saying the word it will be for saying it in a way of hatred (IMO) . It's a judgement call

I get this but the problem is we live in a world that is comprised of more than just US and we too must be considerate of others. I think that we can start by first limiting the use of this word to just amongst ourselves after which we can just totally eradicating it altogether once we have come up with another term of endearment. We have some very creative people after all so I am confident we can come up with something better than ni$$a which sounds eerily similar to ni$$er.

I cringe when I hear my young brothers out in the public spewing this word loudly and ignorantly amongst one another in the presence of non whites and even in front of their children. I have seen plenty of white kids mothers covering their kids ears to shield them from such language and this left both myself and those mothers feeling quite embarrassed. We have to do better. Even with my rap music, I don't let others hear the artists outside of my car saying this word. I keep my windows up and I figure if they want to hear my CD they can buy it themselves because I won't let them have it for free. But mostly I do it because I know that it is wrong for me to say it publicly and even privately then expect for others not to do the same.

I want equality. Everyone does, but we also must challenge ourselves to behave the same way we want others to behave and if not for there to be equivalent punishment for our actions. Does this justice system treat us the same as others? I think not but we can do a whole lot better in how we behave and do what we can to stay away from trouble and controversy. We need to find a better term of endearment
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
To those who think this is ok go repeat this a work party or at the office. Especially if you work in PR or something. Which players have a duty to adhere to.

Get me back on how that goes.

There is a double standard with the N-word. If it is a black person saying it at a black company it isn't news.

If a non black person, specifically a WASP , says it at a white office party and it gets out that person will probably lose their job. When both office parties are probably playing some hip hop music where the artist uses the word regularly .

If an african american person says honkie or cracker at the office you better believe he is going to get written up or worse. I complained against a AA for calling me ghandi and he got written up.

Racism is racism. People in here that are upset about the double standard should be more upset about racism. It sounds like people are just justifying their own hateful words.

"Wah wah...he gets to say it so why can't I?
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]
If an african american person says honkie or cracker at the office you better believe he is going to get written up or worse. I complained against a AA for calling me ghandi and he got written up.

Racism is racism. People in here that are upset about the double standard should be more upset about racism. It sounds like people are just justifying their own hateful words.

Bc racism itself in the simplest form describable is a double standard.

The n word should be looked at objectively and not subjectively in the long run , quoting PillbustA here.

Funny thing is that honkie and cracker aren't censored on this site.
cooper f**kED up.

this dude just drew himself a fat, red target on his back for black defensive players to identify him with.

i'll be that cooper will not finish the season due to injuries.

cool story bro

what does this have to do with the double standard argument? how does a country singer using the n word in a toxic way have anything to do with hip hop using the word in a non toxic racial manner?

explain

That cool story bro just trumped what you were saying so figured you wouldn't get it. Hard to high 5 a midget.

Cooper said a racial slur if Willis says to bowman good play my n***a that's not a racial slur / discussion

If you don't understand that then you really should learn some diversity (and I don't mean being a white kid listening to jay z and smoking blunts. Lmao you should change your name to
B rad G
If a Chinese guy says to his Chinese friend
What's up chinaman is that wrong?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
Funny thing is that honkie and cracker aren't censored on this site.

research the origin of the music genre name, Honky Tonk
Share 49ersWebzone