Eagles WR Riley Cooper at country concert: "I will fight every n****r here"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
It's a dumb thing to say but alcohol fuels a lot of stuff that we would never say or do otherwise. There is a lot of hypocrisy going on too. If a black athlete says "cracker" do they go to a re education program and get fined?

If somebody says something one time while drunk at a concert I don't know that they are totally racist for life. Probably just drunk and stupid. I'm not sticking up for what he said. In fact I feel it's wrong. It's just he said a drunk fueled thing and then apologized for it. I think it's a slight overreaction. He's not leading the Klan. He said a dumb thing and then apologized.

lol this is stupid. do you even know where the term "cracker" comes from? it was coined for white people when they whipped black slaves causing a "crack" in the whip. how is this at all similar to the word "n****r"?

it is literally impossible to offend white people with a racial slur. what are you going to call them? honky? white bread? go ahead and try to insult a white person with a racist term. you can't do it!

How is honky not offensive? Yes you can insult a white person just like anybody else.

I'm white and I don't find honky or cracker the least but offensive. If someone was talking s**t to me and called me one of those I'd have to do my best not to burst out laughing.

I seriously don't know any white person that thinks honky or cracker are even close to being as offensive as the N word, if at all.

Any person, of any race, can be offended by anything. Its simply a fallacy to assume that no white people are offended by such terms, just like it is a fallacy to assume any white person that says the N word at a concert is a racist. Context is everything.

And what context do you think he was using when he said he'd fight every ni&&er here?

Alcohol + Stupid + wanting to get backstage to see Kenny Chesney + they were preventing him from doing so = stupid moron saying stupid things.

I can't say what's in his heart or what he really believes. No doubt what he said was wrong and not ok.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
It's a dumb thing to say but alcohol fuels a lot of stuff that we would never say or do otherwise. There is a lot of hypocrisy going on too. If a black athlete says "cracker" do they go to a re education program and get fined?

If somebody says something one time while drunk at a concert I don't know that they are totally racist for life. Probably just drunk and stupid. I'm not sticking up for what he said. In fact I feel it's wrong. It's just he said a drunk fueled thing and then apologized for it. I think it's a slight overreaction. He's not leading the Klan. He said a dumb thing and then apologized.

lol this is stupid. do you even know where the term "cracker" comes from? it was coined for white people when they whipped black slaves causing a "crack" in the whip. how is this at all similar to the word "n****r"?

it is literally impossible to offend white people with a racial slur. what are you going to call them? honky? white bread? go ahead and try to insult a white person with a racist term. you can't do it!

How is honky not offensive? Yes you can insult a white person just like anybody else.

I'm white and I don't find honky or cracker the least but offensive. If someone was talking s**t to me and called me one of those I'd have to do my best not to burst out laughing.

I seriously don't know any white person that thinks honky or cracker are even close to being as offensive as the N word, if at all.

Any person, of any race, can be offended by anything. Its simply a fallacy to assume that no white people are offended by such terms, just like it is a fallacy to assume any white person that says the N word at a concert is a racist. Context is everything.

And what context do you think he was using when he said he'd fight every ni&&er here?

I wasnt there, and i dont know the guy so i cant say for certain. Although i will say that i find it hard to believe that a true racist would play a professional sport, and spend as much time in the locker room, and in personal contact with people of different races, races they supposedly hate, as a professional athlete does.There for i dont beleive he is actually a racist in the truest sense of the word. May he have personal bias and predjudices? I would say certainly he does, because if we are all honest with ourselves, we all do. There is not a single human being that doesnt. Do i think he made a mistake? Certainly he did. Am i ready to condemn him as a racist because of one word that may or may not carry a cultural or racial stigma with it inside of the culture he personally identifies with? No i am not.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Its amazing to me that so many of you are making excuses for this behavior. Maybe is because MANY of you have used the same word and to condemn him and his action would be condemning yourselves.

LOL. Maybe some of us just arent so sensitive and dont get riled up over a word some drunken idiot said,especially when it has become a quite common term used by all races, and not purely used as a reference to black people. Maybe some of us think logically and realize that simply because this guy used the term at a concert while intoxicated, more than likely in referance to a group of people that were likely not even black, does not necissarily make him a raging racist. He certainly may be, but he also may just be a young idiot that made a mistake he genuinely regrets. Its amusing to me that if this same guy was driving his car down the street bumping music where the term is used every other word, it would be no big deal, but the second he says the term himself he is a racist.

As i mentioned before, culture is often awkward, especially with youth, and its easy to overreact to something that may have a historical reference as a racial slur, but no longer carries that historical reference with modern culture of young people. When you are looking at the term strictly with historical context, but ignore the modern cultural context of the term, it can be offensive, but that does not mean that the term was in fact used in an offensive way when it comes to the cultural context.

Another thing that is amusing to me is when celebrities within the hip hop and rap community act offended when someone outside of the black community use the term, all the while they got rich off of all races listening to and buying their music and blasting said music in their parents basement.

Its simply an awkward term. I personally think it is one of the most ridiculous cultural phenomenons of the young generation in this country, but its their generation and their rules.

Wrong. His comment was directed at BLACK security guards. The words ni&&er and Ni&&a are different words with different meanings and they are NOT interchangeable.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I wasnt there, and i dont know the guy so i cant say for certain. Although i will say that i find it hard to believe that a true racist would play a professional sport, and spend as much time in the locker room, and in personal contact with people of different races, races they supposedly hate, as a professional athlete does.There for i dont beleive he is actually a racist in the truest sense of the word. May he have personal bias and predjudices? I would say certainly he does, because if we are all honest with ourselves, we all do. There is not a single human being that doesnt. Do i think he made a mistake? Certainly he did. Am i ready to condemn him as a racist because of one word that may or may not carry a cultural or racial stigma with it inside of the culture he personally identifies with? No i am not.

Why wouldn't they play professional sports ? If by keeping your true colours under wraps is the price you pay for making tens of millions, I am quite sure they would be more than happy to do so. I don't know what is your definition of true racists, as far as I am concerned if the first thing that comes out from your mouth when someone upsets you is a racial slur, then to me is racist. There are a million and one other things that he could have said such as basta*d, jackas*, d*ckhead., a*shole, etc, etc, but NO he had to go there and use the N word. May be was drunk, sure, but nevertheless it is no excuse.
Its amazing to me that so many of you are making excuses for this behavior. Maybe is because MANY of you have used the same word and to condemn him and his action would be condemning yourselves.

LOL. Maybe some of us just arent so sensitive and dont get riled up over a word some drunken idiot said,especially when it has become a quite common term used by all races, and not purely used as a reference to black people. Maybe some of us think logically and realize that simply because this guy used the term at a concert while intoxicated, more than likely in referance to a group of people that were likely not even black, does not necissarily make him a raging racist. He certainly may be, but he also may just be a young idiot that made a mistake he genuinely regrets. Its amusing to me that if this same guy was driving his car down the street bumping music where the term is used every other word, it would be no big deal, but the second he says the term himself he is a racist.

As i mentioned before, culture is often awkward, especially with youth, and its easy to overreact to something that may have a historical reference as a racial slur, but no longer carries that historical reference with modern culture of young people. When you are looking at the term strictly with historical context, but ignore the modern cultural context of the term, it can be offensive, but that does not mean that the term was in fact used in an offensive way when it comes to the cultural context.

Another thing that is amusing to me is when celebrities within the hip hop and rap community act offended when someone outside of the black community use the term, all the while they got rich off of all races listening to and buying their music and blasting said music in their parents basement.

Its simply an awkward term. I personally think it is one of the most ridiculous cultural phenomenons of the young generation in this country, but its their generation and their rules.

Wrong. His comment was directed at BLACK security guards. The words ni&&er and Ni&&a are different words with different meanings and they are NOT interchangeable.

Has it been confirmed that they were indeed black security guards? i had not seen that, if indeed that is true my apologies i had not heard that. But as far as the second thing, they are indeed interchangeable with the young generation of this country. I know this for fact. Just because to YOU they are not interchangeable, does not make it so.

I work with middle school through college aged kids on a daily basis, of all races, cultures, and ethnic backgrounds both in my current state, and in my home state of CA. I am also a young adult, and grew up in CA. I have first hand experience in this matter.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:

Why wouldn't they play professional sports ? If by keeping your true colours under wraps is the price you pay for making tens of millions, I am quite sure they would be more than happy to do so. I don't know what is your definition of true racists, as far as I am concerned if the first thing that comes out from your mouth when someone upsets you is a racial slur, then to me is racist. There are a million and one other things that he could have said such as basta*d, jackas*, d*ckhead., a*shole, etc, etc, but NO he had to go there and use the N word. May be was drunk, sure, but nevertheless it is no excuse.

Because true racists are like religious zealots. They dont compromise for much of anything.

Has it been confirmed that they were indeed black security guards? i had not seen that, if indeed that is true my apologies i had not heard that. But as far as the second thing, they are indeed interchangeable with the young generation of this country. I know this for fact. Just because to YOU they are not interchangeable, does not make it so.

I work with middle school through college aged kids on a daily basis, of all races, cultures, and ethnic backgrounds both in my current state, and in my home state of CA. I am also a young adult, and grew up in CA. I have first hand experience in this matter.

Cooper said he was drinking when he directed the slur at an African-American security guard at the concert in June

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/08/01/eagles-wr-riley-cooper-apologizes-for-using-racial-slur/#ixzz2ancfnHfJ

I've lived on the East and West coast, the Midwest and now in Texas. I've heard people of all ages use both words on a daily basis. You ask any black person what's the difference between a ni&&er and a ni&&a and I guarantee you no one will say they mean the same thing. This is a fact. Oh and I'm black. I have first hand experience in this matter.

Cooper said he was drinking when he directed the slur at an African-American security guard at the concert in June

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/08/01/eagles-wr-riley-cooper-apologizes-for-using-racial-slur/#ixzz2ancfnHfJ

I've lived on the East and West coast, the Midwest and now in Texas. I've heard people of all ages use both words on a daily basis. You ask any black person what's the difference between a ni&&er and a ni&&a and I guarantee you no one will say they mean the same thing. This is a fact. Oh and I'm black. I have first hand experience in this matter.

I stand corrected on who he was referencing. Thanks for the article.

As far as the other discussion, i dont care if your orange. I wont go back and forth with you, because its clear we disagree, and thats fine, but i know from personal experience that you are indeed incorrect. When it comes to pronunciation of the two terms in casual conversation in modern culture with youths in this country, they are indeed interchangeable. As i have stated many times in this thread, the word is no longer controlled by outdated racial stigmas. It has transcended that in modern culture. It is not something that is owned by blacks, in either pronunciation, and the same is true for whites, and it is not something that one can dictate terms of use or pronunciation on simply because of race. Just because you, or any number of people state that there is a difference, doesnt mean their indeed is one with all cultures or age groups.

Like i said, i think we was wrong personally and i believe the word is vulger and a ridiculous cultural phenomenon, but i dont make the rules, and what i think about it has no bearing on anything.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sick9erfan:
IMHO if you are not a White American or a Black American you have no dog in this fight.

NI@#ER is in my opinion the worst slur in the English language due to the history attached.

NI@#A is a street word used by several cultures with ZERO tie into Whites enslaving Blacks.

COOPER=WRONG that is all!

I respectfully disagree. Everybody has got a dog in this fight.

Race, an ill conceived pernicious social construct, has quite literally led to devastation across the planet.

The problems of race extend beyond the world of white and black, and way beyond the borders of the United States.

Another thing, posters should be aware the hicks, country bumpkins, or poor white trash are not necessarily more racist than anybody else.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 2, 2013 at 2:51 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Because true racists are like religious zealots. They dont compromise for much of anything.

Those are more than true racists, they are radical extremists. If you can turn down a $120 mil job, you have to be an official member of a white supremist group.

Let's just say that to truly regain trust in an NFL locker room he needs to "fight every n**her up in here". After that I am sure he will earn their respect and trust again. Lol

But seriously I say that he has apologized and sh!t happens so let's play ball. Name calling happens and so does late hits and unsportsmanlike conduct
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Moral of the story is unless you are an African American, don't use it, be it whether it ends with an "a" or "er", just erase it from your vocabulary.
Blacks need to find a new word also. It's stupid and in this case offensive. Heck stupid is offensive when you can do better
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Let's just say that to truly regain trust in an NFL locker room he needs to "fight every n**her up in here". After that I am sure he will earn their respect and trust again. Lol

But seriously I say that he has apologized and sh!t happens so let's play ball. Name calling happens and so does late hits and unsportsmanlike conduct

Ultimately, is up to whether his teammates want to forgive him. While Vick has come out to say he has, you might want to hear what Shady McCoy has to say about it. In other words, the locker room is split already. Let's just say if your goal is to win games, I doubt this is the recipe for success.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Blacks need to find a new word also. It's stupid and in this case offensive. Heck stupid is offensive when you can do better

I agree. Not to deny African American guys from using street language, but I am sure there are other street words that can replace it such as "homeboy" or the likes.
Share 49ersWebzone