LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

WR Austin Collie

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cools
  • Veteran
You got to load up on WR's for training camp, guys get worn down

I like our young guys, Williams, Jenkins and Patton, I think Williams and Jenkins are going to have solid seasons
with Jenkins earning the X/SE position, and Williams coming in as a Z/FL in 3 reciever sets, with Boldin moving inside

Patton may not play alot, but will learn that Z/FL spot just in case

I'd let MM rehab his knee till the bye week, and use Osgood or Lockette as the 5th WR, both if we keep 6
[ Edited by cools on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not sure what the point would be? Add more competition? There is plenty as it is and only so many balls to go around plus we could have two additional WR's back mid-to-late year. That said, I can understand the idea of kicking the tires because we've had so many injuries. If he's a slot WR's, he'd come in very later, have to learn a new offense from scratch and compete with Williams/Patton, both who need to continue to develop. And that said, we don't use the 3 WR+ sets much anyhow. What we need is a bonefide starter behind Boldin and/or Jenkins/Lockette at the X position.

I think that is about to change a little bit. Boldin needs to work the slot to be most effective. More than half of his snaps came from the slot last year. It would make sense then to have interest in Collie if the slot is going to be a bigger part of the offense. I think that's why VD is being worked in at WR. In 3-WR formations we could see VD and Jenkins/Patton lined up wide, with McDonald at TE, Boldin in the slot.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM ]
VD is a match up nightmare.

I would love to see him come out of the backfield.
So why haven't we signed this guy yet? Our receivers are dropping like flies and this guy is cheap might be equal or better than Manningham.
[ Edited by Young2Rice4TD on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
So why haven't we signed this guy yet? Our receivers are dropping like flies and this guy is cheap might be equal or better than Manningham.

because most of WR injuries will be healed in a week or two, and even Manningham will be back by week 1 or week 2.

Because he'd get a concussion on his first Kaepernick reception.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Because he'd get a concussion on his first Kaepernick reception.

At least he'd catch it. Can't say the same for Jenkins.
I honestly think the Harbaugh and Balkee aren't overly worried about the WR position because most of the gameplan will be to the two TE's Vernon and Vance McDonald. I really think McDonald is he's going to be this years dark horse.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I honestly think the Harbaugh and Balkee aren't overly worried about the WR position because most of the gameplan will be to the two TE's Vernon and Vance McDonald. I really think McDonald is he's going to be this years dark horse.

I hope so. A 270 lb slot receiver could be a game changer if he can catch and block.
Collie & Hall ftw

Collie signs by Friday.....
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Collie & Hall ftw

what about Oates?
sign him
Originally posted by xcfan:
what about Oates?

Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko: