LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

WR Austin Collie

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Looks like he is still under consideration

this is not a surprise , alot of us know the niners will make no free agent moves until they get into august and they see what they have or do not have
The medical thing obviously bothers a lot of teams, or otherwise he would already be signed by someone else. With our horrific injury history to WRs during Harbaugh's two yrs here, I would guess the feeling is , have plenty of spares...ie replacement parts. I still can see that disastrous one play last yr where both kyle and hunter were taken out on one stinking play. Odds of that are pretty darn small, but yet, it happened. So no question, Coach H has WR injuries in the back of his mind (if not the front of his mind), and keeping a guy like Collie in his head is certainly understandable. Here is my hope however:

Anquan, Vernon, Vance, LMJ, Patton, AJ, Kyle, Hunter, Frank, Celek...The one best thing roman or Coach H... whoever is calling plays, can do, is look at receptions at end of game and find there were 8 guys who received passes. That would be exactly what Peyton's scorecard looks like at end of every game, and there are tons of great reasons to spread it around like that. Not least of which is the injury angle, which really has bitten us hard last two seasons. Answer: have multiple receivers, and get TEs and RBs involved early and often thruout the game. It helps the injury issue(if it happens) and also is good sound football strategy, keeping D off their stride. Lastly, if Peyton thinks that way, it can't be all bad.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Looks like he is still under consideration

this is not a surprise , alot of us know the niners will make no free agent moves until they get into august and they see what they have or do not have

will collie wait to see how things play out in niners camp--if he has offers elsewhere?
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
I liked him when healthy and kap needs targets right now since crabs is gone. Maybe he can reach out to the dolphins for help at wr.....
Originally posted by Axl49:
I liked him when healthy and kap needs targets right now since crabs is gone. Maybe he can reach out to the dolphins for help at wr.....

at least maybe an apparel deal
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Axl49:

at least maybe an apparel deal

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If the 9ers didn't draft Patton I'd be all for Collie as a 9er.
I'm acquainted with his dad (who also played for the niners back in the day, though never made the roster) and they are a great family, so I hope it works out for Austin. He's a smart guy so he will do what's best for his family, which means he's probably confident he can come back and not risk permanent damage from another concussion.
I'm on the fence about this guy. On one hand, I think we owe our young receivers the opportunity to develop and who knows?

On the other hand, this guy talking about signing waivers and all just for one more shot to play, shows he clearly has a chip on his shoulder and wants to leave it all out there on the field, and you can never have enough of those kinds of players, especially when it is in a "possible" area of need.
I don't see why we shouldn't bring him in for training .camp at the very least. If he could stay healthy he might be able to make the squad and possibly be a contributor. I see the point of taking away reps from some of the younger guys but I think that is a little overblown.
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM ]

It wouldn't hurt to bring in Collie, especially if Manningham is going to start the year on the PUP list. We could use another guy who has produced in the league.

Collie is strictly a slot receiver, so he shouldn't impede the progress of Jenkins or Patton lining up on the outside. The guy who could be hurt the most by this is Kyle Williams, since a good portion of his snaps have come from the slot.

Boldin also spends a lot of time in the slot. More than half of his snaps came from the slot last year. I actually think Boldin will be our primary slot receiver, which might be the reason why VD has been lining up exclusively at WR lately. We could see formations with VD and Jenkins/Patton on the outside, Boldin in the slot, McDonald at TE. That looks like a winning formula.
What I need to know before making a decision on Collie is, what is this guy's position on hats? Owning/wearing/having pictures taken in. Very important to know.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If the 9ers didn't draft Patton I'd be all for Collie as a 9er.

The odds would be stacked against him making the roster either way.
Not sure what the point would be? Add more competition? There is plenty as it is and only so many balls to go around plus we could have two additional WR's back mid-to-late year. That said, I can understand the idea of kicking the tires because we've had so many injuries. If he's a slot WR's, he'd come in very later, have to learn a new offense from scratch and compete with Williams/Patton, both who need to continue to develop. And that said, we don't use the 3 WR+ sets much anyhow. What we need is a bonefide starter behind Boldin and/or Jenkins/Lockette at the X position.
There are often injuries in TC that may hamper opening day, so bringing in another talented WR isn't a waste. There are many other players currently on the roster less likely to add value than Collie would.
Share 49ersWebzone