LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by jcs:
I hope they resign him...the best teams don't just have 4 great starters but a whole stable of guys to rotate in and out. Tank could be one of those guys easy.

While I agree that more than 4 guys are needed the team can survive without resigning Carradine. There are plenty of guys that can probably do what he does and produce better. The D- line is void of a pass rusher and there are plenty of guys that can play inside and outside along the line. I would make resigning Marsh a higher priority. As is the D- line will have:

Thomas
Buckner
Mitchell
Armstead
Dumervil
Day
DJ Jones
Blair III

Plenty of depth along the D- line already. That is an area of strength the only improvement has to come from a pure pass rusher.

Resign them both...training camp and preseason roster needs bodies.
There are hundreds of unsigned guys that can do what Tank has done the last 5 years. Move on from failed projects.

I can see us re-signing Tank and trading AA. I also remember we can cut AA and save 4-5 mill.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I also remember we can cut AA and save 4-5 mill.

I keep seeing this on these forums so it seems like the information must be coming from somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a source that says that. Would someone mind providing a link that shows that the 9ers could save 3, 4 or 5 million dollars if they cut AA? Thanks.
There are hundreds of unsigned guys that can do what Tank has done the last 5 years. Move on from failed projects.

Yeah, we have 100 BE's on this roster or guys who can play there but none that excel at edge rushing. Tank is probably the best at edge setting though.
Originally posted by 49erphan:

I keep seeing this on these forums so it seems like the information must be coming from somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a source that says that. Would someone mind providing a link that shows that the 9ers could save 3, 4 or 5 million dollars if they cut AA? Thanks.

I'm not sure where that's coming from either. We're due to pay AA $3.1M whether he's here or not (dead $).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/
Yeah AA is here in 2018, but Lynch will probably grab a late round DL and/or an UDFA to compete, so if he finds a diamond in the rough he may be inclined to move on from AA.
  • bvc49
  • Veteran
It seems like the only time I hear his name called is in Niner Talk. We don't need a guy making $3 million who is good at only one thing.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm not sure where that's coming from either. We're due to pay AA $3.1M whether he's here or not (dead $).

If the coaches think that trading him gives them more value than having him around next year as at least a rotational guy, then I don't have a problem trading him. (If he gets traded to a team with a 3-4 defense that might work out better for him as well.) But there is no savings in cutting him, so if he isn't traded then he will be here next year. The story with him always seems to be, "next year we'll really see what he has" and then we don't, but short of a worthwhile trade, next year really will be the year for AA to show that he adds enough value to the team to keep around or he will be a FA at the end of the year. I don't think he is as bad of a player as many here do, so I think there is a chance that he might show the coaches he's worth keeping. Actually, though, I think the 9ers already have good depth on the d-line (maybe keep Carradine?) so he won't be needed and he is a good enough player to be a starter on some team's 3-4 defense so there's a good chance that's where he will end up after next season.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Jan 9, 2018 at 8:20 AM ]

If the coaches think that trading him gives them more value than having him around next year as at least a rotational guy, then I don't have a problem trading him. (If he gets traded to a team with a 3-4 defense that might work out better for him as well.) But there is no savings in cutting him, so if he isn't traded then he will be here next year. The story with him always seems to be, "next year we'll really see what he has" and then we don't, but short of a worthwhile trade, next year really will be the year for AA to show that he adds enough value to the team to keep around or he will be a FA at the end of the year. I don't think he is as bad of a player as many here do, so I think there is a chance that he might show the coaches he's worth keeping. Actually, though, I think the 9ers already have good depth on the d-line (maybe keep Caradine?) so he won't be needed and he is a good enough player to be a starter on some team's 3-4 defense so there's a good chance that's where he will end up after next season.

I'm absolutely on board with a trade if they can find a partner.

If the coaches think that trading him gives them more value than having him around next year as at least a rotational guy, then I don't have a problem trading him. (If he gets traded to a team with a 3-4 defense that might work out better for him as well.) But there is no savings in cutting him, so if he isn't traded then he will be here next year. The story with him always seems to be, "next year we'll really see what he has" and then we don't, but short of a worthwhile trade, next year really will be the year for AA to show that he adds enough value to the team to keep around or he will be a FA at the end of the year. I don't think he is as bad of a player as many here do, so I think there is a chance that he might show the coaches he's worth keeping. Actually, though, I think the 9ers already have good depth on the d-line (maybe keep Caradine?) so he won't be needed and he is a good enough player to be a starter on some team's 3-4 defense so there's a good chance that's where he will end up after next season.

I'm absolutely on board with a trade if they can find a partner.

Agree

BUT we need to get something of value.
It's going to be interesting. We do have a lot of depth, so technically, we could not re-sign any of the DEs up for free agency and still be fine.

Even without Tank/Douzable/Lynch, we still have Blair and AA (who are arguably both better pass-rushers than Tank and Douz anyway). We still have plenty of room for new FA or rookie talent to be brought in.

What I'm trying to figure out if what Saleh plans do with Thomas. He's supposedly going to be moved inside at some point, but where? Is he going to play NT? I don't see any other logical place to put him except Big End.

Thomas/AA/Blair - Mitchell/Jones - Buckner/Day - Marsh/Dumervil/___________?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM ]

Trader John, or really acquisition John, has really put in a yr of hard work for us. As for AA and paying him $3.1 mil whether here or not, that is pretty easy. He's paid, so why throw away that salary? But the big deal...or question is, what has John brot to the table for 2018 on the DL and front 7 ? The sudden appearance of Day and Marsh, plus a whole raft of others who have come by for a tryout, some given money, others not....has left us with a massive talent draw for the DL and front 7, although DL way more loaded. Everyone wants that ER freak (or in NC's case , 2 of them), which, if we do get one, will make every other player on the DL way the heck better. But the sheer amount of DL talent we have as of now, esp incl Day, who very well may end up starting, (the Browns passed on him???Sheesh) is going to make for some Uber competition on the DL come camp time. True we may have just a polyglot of so so players, but my guess is we have at least a couple that everyone will be happy with. As for depth, wow, we got DL covered there. The big deal will be going thru all this talent and having a competition to see who is that really is a star. Do we actually have one...or two?

Whatever comes out of TC, we have a good shot at having some real talent on the DL, but Lordy, do we ever need that ER worse than ever. That is the linchpin to this D becoming great. And then the competition for starter slots....that could be the one part of camp that will be spectacular to watch. I hope we don't have just a big bunch of decent guys but no real stars. What we hope is to find ,2, 3 or 4 guys who are absolute studs. Right now, no way of knowing that, but i am already putting my money on Day to do something spectacular. Questioin is how many other guys do we have like that? We don't want to end up with a huge bunch of all similar talent. I hope we have a couple guys who break out and make this DL awesome. Time and hand to hand combat will tell, however.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's going to be interesting. We do have a lot of depth, so technically, we could not re-sign any of the DEs up for free agency and still be fine.

Even without Tank/Douzable/Lynch, we still have Blair and AA (who are arguably both better pass-rushers than Tank and Douz anyway). We still have plenty of room for new FA or rookie talent to be brought in.

What I'm trying to figure out if what Saleh plans do with Thomas. He's supposedly going to be moved inside at some point, but where? Is he going to play NT? I don't see any other logical place to put him except Big End.

Thomas/AA/Blair - Mitchell/Jones - Buckner/Day - Marsh/Dumervil/___________?

I'm with you. Saleh already said he's not moving Buckner so the next logical move for Thomas is BE but he doesn't add anything more in pass rush than Tank or AA do but would certainly be better than AA at edge setting but probably not as good as Tank...yet.

Sooooo

I couldve sworn when i looked at it a long time ago it was different..maybe some site had their s**t confused or a combination of myself as well lol.

3 mill salary is pretty good value for him. A 3-4 team or a team needing of some beef on the DL could trade with us. I don't mind keeping for depth.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:41 PM ]

I couldve sworn when i looked at it a long time ago it was different..maybe some site had their s**t confused or a combination of myself as well lol.

3 mill salary is pretty good value for him. A 3-4 team or a team needing of some beef on the DL could trade with us. I don't mind keeping for depth.

It's all good. It might have been filtered to a different year too. No biggie...

It's all good. It might have been filtered to a different year too. No biggie...

Thanks NC.

You're always there for me
Share 49ersWebzone