LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I'm pretty sure they will get a deal done, there's too much pressure on them not to. I just hope they have a rookie salary cap (for the higher picks anyway) and keep the 16 game season.
really makes me upset these guys are soo greedy! GET IT DONE!
  • dj43
The news today about the impasse and cancelation of other scheduled talks is not good. It shows how entrenched both sides are on the split of revenues. So while things like this are not unexpected, it shows both sides are willing to play Russian Roulette.
Originally posted by dj43:
The news today about the impasse and cancelation of other scheduled talks is not good. It shows how entrenched both sides are on the split of revenues. So while things like this are not unexpected, it shows both sides are willing to play Russian Roulette.

yeah, its not good, but i expected the biggest posturing to happen right now. we all expect this to last past March 3rd, so something like this isn't surprising. not good, but i'll be more concerned if this is happening in, say, April. I really do expect (hope) the talks to get more serious around and after March 3rd.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:

yeah, its not good, but i expected the biggest posturing to happen right now. we all expect this to last past March 3rd, so something like this isn't surprising. not good, but i'll be more concerned if this is happening in, say, April. I really do expect (hope) the talks to get more serious around and after March 3rd.
All the stuff I have read and heard suggest that if a deal is not in place BEFORE March 3rd, we are looking at a lockout going into the beginning of training camp time. Owners will have some incentive to get something done between March 3 and the draft but the players won't. It is all about what happens in the next three weeks.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

All the stuff I have read and heard suggest that if a deal is not in place BEFORE March 3rd, we are looking at a lockout going into the beginning of training camp time. Owners will have some incentive to get something done between March 3 and the draft but the players won't. It is all about what happens in the next three weeks.

true. After March 3rd just about anything can happen, most of it not good. Still, I'm not going to sweat this latest development. Three weeks is still a lot of time. There will be posturing and doom and gloom but I have a feeling that there will be an effort by both sides to get it done by March--not that that means that it WILL get done, but I think its in everyone's interest if this doesn't extend past the end of the league year.
I also believe that once March 4th hits all the players will no longer have any type of health or life insurance coverage. I read that each team saved about 10 million b/c in a uncapped year they put in that the owners don't have to fund any insurance policies for the players. I think it was about 2/3 years ago when the owners voted to not have to cover any of their teams position coaches and coordinators insurance. Saving even more money. Owners been saving money preparing for this for years now. Yes they all have money but they aren't all responsible or have a clue on how to go about getting health insurance like the rest of us. Not to mention they have sever injuries most of us don't. small things like that are what the owners are betting will break the players.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The owners will win out on this one. The players cant last long without pay checks and also if worse comes to worse the owners can just tell all the players to GTFO and just bring in replacement non-union players. I bet you anything most of the current players will walk away from the union and go play.

The owners will win out, its just a matter of how long the players want stretch this out. If they are smart they should let the owners make a proposal and then make counter offer that is close to enough and just make the deal. Its whats gonna happen anyways, either do it now or just drag it out. The players are the ones who cant afford to drag it out.
Just listening to Chris Mortenson and he brought up another reason why the owners want the current deal to expire. It's b/c none of them want Judge David Doty to continue to be the judge to presides over the CBA. He was the judge that let Mike Vick keep his signing bonus money. He is also the judge that let Pat and Kevin Williams play after they failed those drug tests. The owners aren't happy with him at

Mortenson also added that they haven't even got to the 18 game schedule or rookie cap yet. they still arguing over the money. Players want to see the books to see why they have to take a pay cut and the owners aren't gonna open their books.

things won't happen til deadline time
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:
Just listening to Chris Mortenson and he brought up another reason why the owners want the current deal to expire. It's b/c none of them want Judge David Doty to continue to be the judge to presides over the CBA. He was the judge that let Mike Vick keep his signing bonus money. He is also the judge that let Pat and Kevin Williams play after they failed those drug tests. The owners aren't happy with him at

Mortenson also added that they haven't even got to the 18 game schedule or rookie cap yet. they still arguing over the money. Players want to see the books to see why they have to take a pay cut and the owners aren't gonna open their books.

things won't happen til deadline time
Good points, however the biggie is the 18 game schedule and the split of income. The rookie cap is a throw-in card. Vets don't like the unlimited money paid to unproven rookies. They feel it is a slight to them. The sides will do some friendly arm wrestling over this but in the end, there will be a rookie cap and both sides know it.

I think fans need to bear in mind is that the owners have a fundamental advantage here. As an owner you are making money your whole life in the NFL. Your average player only has about 5 to 7 years to earn in the NFL. So for ownership, long term and short term interests them equally. For the players, short term is way higher on their priorities, they are not going to fight any battles to benefit the future players.

So many say that the owners need to get real, but I think it is the players that need to wise up. Especially those career second stringers who have not yet accumulated a whole lot and only have a few seasons left...they better make sure they don't get themselves lost in all this. They would be the real losers in all this and they represent a good portion of the players.

As for the rookie salary cap, I think it is the fans who hate the rookies salary the most. I know the upper echelon vets love the rookie salaries, because it serves as a catalyst for their ridiculous 2nd and 3rd contracts
The leadership on both sides need to check their egos at the door. They can't get this done through the press, legislature or the court of public opinion. Candid face to face negotiation is the only resolve. They need to stop this nonsense of waiting for the other side to blink.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
The leadership on both sides need to check their egos at the door. They can't get this done through the press, legislature or the court of public opinion. Candid face to face negotiation is the only resolve. They need to stop this nonsense of waiting for the other side to blink.

IMHO, I dont think it has to do with "egos". The bottom line is the owners are greedy and the players are just looking out for their health. Having an 18 game season is stupid (as much as I love the game). Personally, I dont feel one bit sorry for these billionaire owners. They are already loaded if they can afford a team, what else do they want. They aren't the guys with the talent or sacrificying their body.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
It's not looking good right now. Both sides are playing chicken. I don't see a deal being done by Mar. 4.

The players will lose these negotiations and the owners will not balk. It's just a matter of when the players will give in. Owners have all the advantage and they know it. I think the NFLPA will cave in right before Mini-camp.
Originally posted by danimal:
I think fans need to bear in mind is that the owners have a fundamental advantage here. As an owner you are making money your whole life in the NFL. Your average player only has about 5 to 7 years to earn in the NFL. So for ownership, long term and short term interests them equally. For the players, short term is way higher on their priorities, they are not going to fight any battles to benefit the future players.

So many say that the owners need to get real, but I think it is the players that need to wise up. Especially those career second stringers who have not yet accumulated a whole lot and only have a few seasons left...they better make sure they don't get themselves lost in all this. They would be the real losers in all this and they represent a good portion of the players.

As for the rookie salary cap, I think it is the fans who hate the rookies salary the most. I know the upper echelon vets love the rookie salaries, because it serves as a catalyst for their ridiculous 2nd and 3rd contracts

good points. as to the "second-string" type players, I would imagine they have a lot invested in the health care aspects of the negotiation. For instance, a buddy of mine has a brother who was in Chargers camp--basically camp fodder--last year and tore his quad. He got dicked around by the team in terms of getting coverage for his injury. Luckily it was a part of his contract and eventually they had to provide surgery and therapy and whatnot, but the fact is that that is not standard in contracts for guys like that. So while its in their best interest to get a deal quickly in hopes of not wasting any time of a brief career, they might also be invested in getting better post-career guarantees.

anyway, i guess what i'm saying is that i don't imagine that the second-tier players who aren't making the big bucks will do anything to hasten the negotiation.
Share 49ersWebzone