LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
So we've all been hearing about this whole CBA problem that the NFL has and how much it could negatively affect next season. I don't know too much about it. What is the issue and what would happen if it isn't resolved? For example, what type of things would the Niners, and other teams around the league, not be able to do?

Everything aka no trades or signing FA.... Owners would lock out the players meaning Harbaugh cant have off season work outs and training camps.

And if no CBA was met by the start of the season, we could see something like the strike year, replacement players, or no season at all. Don't bank on this though, these owners know the value of football to the whole economy. We'll have a season. But Free Agency could cease to exist, We still will have the draft but any other offseason acquisitions will be stopped.

I disagree here. I think if the owners had a clue, they would've already worked out a new CBA. I think they're just thinking short term. They are suppose to get TV money even if there's no season. I hope the judge blocks this.
  • dj43
WTF? They better get this s**t taken care of. So the FAs would just not play football for the NFL?

Fuuuuck. And no TC and OTAs means less time to install the WCO.

If no new CBA, all UFAs will still be considered a part of the teams they were on. IOW, Peyton would remain a Colt and Alex a 49er if they still want to play.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheChozen:
So we've all been hearing about this whole CBA problem that the NFL has and how much it could negatively affect next season. I don't know too much about it. What is the issue and what would happen if it isn't resolved? For example, what type of things would the Niners, and other teams around the league, not be able to do?

Everything aka no trades or signing FA.... Owners would lock out the players meaning Harbaugh cant have off season work outs and training camps.

And if no CBA was met by the start of the season, we could see something like the strike year, replacement players, or no season at all. Don't bank on this though, these owners know the value of football to the whole economy. We'll have a season. But Free Agency could cease to exist, We still will have the draft but any other offseason acquisitions will be stopped.

I disagree here. I think if the owners had a clue, they would've already worked out a new CBA. I think they're just thinking short term. They are suppose to get TV money even if there's no season. I hope the judge blocks this.
The big issue is the 18 game regular season. The players are solidly opposed. They have said they will never agree to it and owners have said there will be no new CBA without it.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheChozen:

The big issue is the 18 game regular season. The players are solidly opposed. They have said they will never agree to it and owners have said there will be no new CBA without it.

That only means one thing dj..... a 17 game season.

-9fA
The trade deadline was Oct. 19. There can be no more trades until the beginning of the new league year. The 2010 league year is scheduled to end March 3. In most offseasons, trades can resume on March 4. But that will not necessarily happen this year.

There will be no trading or free-agent player movement until the owners and players union decide on a new collective bargaining agreement. Players are bracing for a lockout beginning March 4 that would force all NFL activity -- other than the NFL draft (April 28-30) -- to a sudden halt.

Only trading of draft picks would be allow to occur before a new CBA. Teams will not be allowed to deal veteran players as part of trade packages before the draft, on draft day or after the draft without a new CBA in place.

Without a new CBA, the free-agent signing period would be postponed, too.

That means the only contracts that can be signed before March 3 are extensions. That is, a team can sign a player on its current roster to a new deal.

So, the 49ers are allowed to work out contracts with their own scheduled free agents, such as David Baas, Aubrayo Franklin, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson and others. (Remember, there was no NFL salary cap in 2010, and there are no indications that one will come back in the future.)

But prospective free agents generally do not re-sign with their clubs during that window after the season and before the open of free agency. Once players make it that far, they typically want to reach the open market so there becomes bidding for their services.

Teams can sign players who did not finish the season on a 53-man roster (that includes players who were on injured reserve). Practice-squad players are free to sign with any team.

All indications are that the owners and players are not close on a new CBA. It might be that the sides will not reach an agreement until August. Then, there could be a three-week period before the start of the season.

If that's the case, teams will be in a rush to sign players (rookies and free agents), make trades and hurry to get ready for the start of the regular season.

The 49ers, just like every team, will have to put a plan in place to get ready for the offseason. Their task would become more difficult because of the coaching change -- and a new system being installed for the players.

"Nobody really knows exactly what's going to happen with the CBA," Harbaugh said Friday at his introductory press conference. "Everybody would be under the same parameters though. Any and all obstacles, you just have to overcome it."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/10/11/Maiocco-49ers-player-wish-list-might-get/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=388438&feedID=5936
Originally posted by valrod33:
The trade deadline was Oct. 19. There can be no more trades until the beginning of the new league year. The 2010 league year is scheduled to end March 3. In most offseasons, trades can resume on March 4. But that will not necessarily happen this year.

There will be no trading or free-agent player movement until the owners and players union decide on a new collective bargaining agreement. Players are bracing for a lockout beginning March 4 that would force all NFL activity -- other than the NFL draft (April 28-30) -- to a sudden halt.

Only trading of draft picks would be allow to occur before a new CBA. Teams will not be allowed to deal veteran players as part of trade packages before the draft, on draft day or after the draft without a new CBA in place.

Without a new CBA, the free-agent signing period would be postponed, too.

That means the only contracts that can be signed before March 3 are extensions. That is, a team can sign a player on its current roster to a new deal.

So, the 49ers are allowed to work out contracts with their own scheduled free agents, such as David Baas, Aubrayo Franklin, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson and others. (Remember, there was no NFL salary cap in 2010, and there are no indications that one will come back in the future.)

But prospective free agents generally do not re-sign with their clubs during that window after the season and before the open of free agency. Once players make it that far, they typically want to reach the open market so there becomes bidding for their services.

Teams can sign players who did not finish the season on a 53-man roster (that includes players who were on injured reserve). Practice-squad players are free to sign with any team.

All indications are that the owners and players are not close on a new CBA. It might be that the sides will not reach an agreement until August. Then, there could be a three-week period before the start of the season.

If that's the case, teams will be in a rush to sign players (rookies and free agents), make trades and hurry to get ready for the start of the regular season.

The 49ers, just like every team, will have to put a plan in place to get ready for the offseason. Their task would become more difficult because of the coaching change -- and a new system being installed for the players.

"Nobody really knows exactly what's going to happen with the CBA," Harbaugh said Friday at his introductory press conference. "Everybody would be under the same parameters though. Any and all obstacles, you just have to overcome it."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/10/11/Maiocco-49ers-player-wish-list-might-get/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=388438&feedID=5936

This is gonna be crazy with the draft happening before free agency. Especially with some vets sitting at home watching younger guys getting drafted onto teams that they possibly could have went to and got a nice payday. Now that team won't offer them as much if anything at all. On the other hand a vet can see who went where and make a better choice to where they can go depending on where they are in there careers.
can someone please explain to me about this whole cba thing?
Go to NFL Thread.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Search function is easy to find.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=151348
thanks!

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by JizzmasterZero:
If replacement players will get to play, does that mean we'll see the return of #11?

Just imagine for a second that Alex Smith is the leader of our Scrub team and starts throwing darts all over the field because the pass rushers are all ex-CFLers and a few steps slower. He throws for 6,000 yards and 60 TD's breaking every single season passing record! Wins the MVP and the Niners win their record-tying 6th Superbowl!!!
Arnaz Battle catches 25 TD's, Kevin Barlow runs for 2,500 yards! It would be awesome!!!
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by JizzmasterZero:
If replacement players will get to play, does that mean we'll see the return of #11?

Just imagine for a second that Alex Smith is the leader of our Scrub team and starts throwing darts all over the field because the pass rushers are all ex-CFLers and a few steps slower. He throws for 6,000 yards and 60 TD's breaking every single season passing record! Wins the MVP and the Niners win their record-tying 6th Superbowl!!!
Arnaz Battle catches 25 TD's, Kevin Barlow runs for 2,500 yards! It would be awesome!!!

Then Reality hits you like a BRICK Wall
i would love to see the Niners do really well and make big stides this next year as a team. but i also think we will be handicapped as far as getting new players to really help this team this year do to the CBA. if they do not come to an agreement all we will be able to do is get our draft picks and resign guys we have already had. i hope this get cleared up fast but the longer it goes on the lesser of chances we have to pick up guys in trade or FA that Balkke and Hargaugh would really want. so if this goes on for long dont be surprised if the 2011 season If it takes place will be much brighter.

I hope I am wrong
The same goes for every team in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone