LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jd925:
I'm not high on Gabbert from what I've seen so far (some videos/stats).

Pros:
Very good arm and accuracy in shotgun
Played in decent conference (I think)

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.
Stats are average for a pass happy spread offense
Slow-footed and may lose his accuracy while dropping back from center or when rolling out

Don't know how you can really judge someone's accuracy by watching a few youtube highlights and looking at stats.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Pros:

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.
Slow-footed and may lose his accuracy while dropping back from center or when rolling out

Don't know how you can really judge someone's accuracy by watching a few youtube highlights and looking at stats.

That's true. I need to see more. He does have a 63% completion percentage and that's what I look at first. (Receivers, o-line, schemes etc can lead to high completion %... spread systems help... so it is hard to say how much you can rely on that and the videos I watched.....)

Anyways I'm not impressed with Gabbert enough to look further.
just heard of him recently,and from what I hear I wouldnt be too upset if we picked him up. will see
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I wish I had seen more of his play to really be able to contribute. I think either way, we will get either Gabbert, Mallet, or Newton with pick #7. New regimes = new QBs. And *IF* we get Harbaugh, I think he can coach (what's that?!) them to be a better football player.

Spending that pick on any of those players would be a mistake... Amukumara or Peterson should be the pick, with a free agent QB. Next year is the year for QBs.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
I wish I had seen more of his play to really be able to contribute. I think either way, we will get either Gabbert, Mallet, or Newton with pick #7. New regimes = new QBs. And *IF* we get Harbaugh, I think he can coach (what's that?!) them to be a better football player.

Spending that pick on any of those players would be a mistake... Amukumara or Peterson should be the pick, with a free agent QB. Next year is the year for QBs.

Next year QB class is amazing. Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, and Pryor.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Pros:

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.

I've seen him at multiple games...I have no idea where people are getting he has bad accuracy.
Could we please stop with the shotgun QBs for G*ds sakes....
If you want to pick one then get on later .....
especially not at #7 are you kidding me ? at #7? that's fooooolish

Alew Smith came from a similar system....yuck
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Stay away from spread formation QBs. I don't like any QBs in the top 10 this year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by dlance:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

lol..you read defenses in the spread dude

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.

Of course he has to read the defense. Even the WRs have to read the defense. But it's different. When you're under the center and snap the ball, you get a lot less time to read the defenses and react to it, whereas when you're in shotgun - it's not only easier to read defense after you snap (as you have more time) but it's also easier to read defenses before the snap.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by dlance:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

lol..you read defenses in the spread dude

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.

Of course he has to read the defense. Even the WRs have to read the defense. But it's different. When you're under the center and snap the ball, you get a lot less time to read the defenses and react to it, whereas when you're in shotgun - it's not only easier to read defense after you snap (as you have more time) but it's also easier to read defenses before the snap.

agreed. that extra second IS a big difference..but i don't think that is something the guy can learn after taking plenty of reps and having defensive playbooks thrown at him so he can adjust. some guys just have "it" and i think gabbert is one of them..he played in that spread offense simply because thats how gary pinkel and mizzou runs their offense..did the same w/ chase daniel, brad smith, etc..i think gabbert will do fine under center.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by abowers1984:

Next year QB class is amazing. Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, and Pryor.

That's what everyone said last year.....

Pros:

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.

??? if it would be about locker, you would read "inaccurate" in every post...

why? you are a few yards behind your center, where is the difference?
[ Edited by communist on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

Pros:

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.

??? if it would be about locker, you would read "inaccurate" in every post...

why? you are a few yards behind your center, where is the difference?

your visibility is not as good when your crouched over a Center's ass and you have less time to read it compared to being in shotgun where you have a 3-4 yard head start.
[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM ]

Pros:

Cons
Play spread and shotgun.

That's true. I need to see more. He does have a 63% completion percentage and that's what I look at first. (Receivers, o-line, schemes etc can lead to high completion %... spread systems help... so it is hard to say how much you can rely on that and the videos I watched.....)

Anyways I'm not impressed with Gabbert enough to look further.

I'm not a Gabbert fan either, I just hate when posters have barely watched someone and try to make "scouting reports" about players.

I haven't watched much more of Gabbert than you have, but from what I've seen I'm not impressed by his accuracy at all. He has a really nice arm and is built well. That's about all I see in the guy. But again I'm no scout which is why I'm trying to ask people who have seen him play more than I have what I'm missing about this guy.
Originally posted by DangerousG:
I've seen next to nothing of this guy, but I'll be damned if a guy named Blaine Gabbert ever becomes a great QB. You gotta have the great look and great name.

Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Peyton Manning,....Blaine Gabbert?

Can't argue with air-tight logic like that.
Share 49ersWebzone