OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jrg:

That doesn't show me anything.
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by dlance:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

lol..you read defenses in the spread dude

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.

I hope you're right! That way the 49ers, picking at 7, won't have the opportunity to make that mistake....
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.

I hope you're right! That way the 49ers, picking at 7, won't have the opportunity to make that mistake....

You are far too intelligent to speak so absolutely on this. C'mon now...
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by DangerousG:
I've seen next to nothing of this guy, but I'll be damned if a guy named Blaine Gabbert ever becomes a great QB. You gotta have the great look and great name.

Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Peyton Manning,....Blaine Gabbert?

Can't argue with air-tight logic like that.

Colt McCoy is gonna be a legend, you watch
I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but Gabbert was considered the #1 HS pro-style QB in the nation after the 2007 season (yes, ahead of even Andrew Luck). Gabbert even started ahead of Luck on the West squad of the 2008 Army AA game.

Gabbert was set to go to Nebraska and play under the pro-style offense of Bill Callahan, but the Husker's AD was fired which left Callahan's position up in the air (he was eventually fired). So he chose Missouri instead, and played in a spread offense.

One can only wonder what would've happened if he played for Callahan, or better yet, what if he took his talents to Stanford and played under Harbaugh...
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but Gabbert was considered the #1 HS pro-style QB in the nation after the 2007 season (yes, ahead of even Andrew Luck). Gabbert even started ahead of Luck on the West squad of the 2008 Army AA game.

Gabbert was set to go to Nebraska and play under the pro-style offense of Bill Callahan, but the Husker's AD was fired which left Callahan's position up in the air (he was eventually fired). So he chose Missouri instead, and played in a spread offense.

One can only wonder what would've happened if he played for Callahan, or better yet, what if he took his talents to Stanford and played under Harbaugh...

Well, there you are.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gavintech:

You are far too intelligent to speak so absolutely on this. C'mon now...

Well I don't think there is a QB worthy of the #7 pick in this draft (unless Luck declares last minute) and I'm just way down on Gabbert. I don't think he's going to make it in the NFL at all.
I will admit to not having watched much to any of Missouri football....and a little from his showdown with Stanzi......

So I really have no opinion

My .02

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I got to see more of Blaine before I go further with an opinion.
Watched some of his highlight's, wasn't really impressed.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

That settles it!

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

That settles it!

Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by DangerousG:
I've seen next to nothing of this guy, but I'll be damned if a guy named Blaine Gabbert ever becomes a great QB. You gotta have the great look and great name.

Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Peyton Manning,....Blaine Gabbert?

Can't argue with air-tight logic like that.

Colt McCoy is gonna be a legend, you watch

How did that work out for Major Applewhite?
Where is the accuracy with this guy? Plus he's a system QB. Also the athleticism isn't that great. Why all the hype? Because he's 6'5" 240 lbs. in a poor QB draft?...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Where is the accuracy with this guy? Plus he's a system QB. Also the athleticism isn't that great. Why all the hype? Because he's 6'5" 240 lbs. in a poor QB draft?...

Poor QB draft? That was 2005.

Cam Newton
Ryan Mallett
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker

That's four potential first rounders.

Also why are you knocking Gabbert's accuracy? He completed 63% last year as well as 71% against both Oklahoma and Iowa. Are you aware Rivals.com had him when he came out of high school as the #1 pro-style QB in the nation and a five-star recruit? The 'hype' has been there for years.
Share 49ersWebzone