There are 246 users in the forums

Is it safe to call Reggie Bush a bust?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dman:
Sorry haters ...

Lol
Sorry haters ...

This performance doesnt make up for his career stats, which havent been the same since his rookie season.

Was he worth the #2 overall pick and his contract? No

Is he a bust? Debatable depending on your definition

I wonder what his career would be like without drew brees calling the shots
Originally posted by teeohh:
Sorry haters ...

yeah jump on his nuts after one game
still a BUST!!
  • NickV
  • Veteran
He had a helluva game though and I still would want to bring him on as our PR/KR.

But to answer the original question, he hasn't lived up to his hype for sure.
Your not a bust until the team that drafted you gives up on you
Bush didn't hype himself, fans and media did.
When healthy, Bush does everything he was famous for run/catch/return!
People just had unfair and unrealistic expectations

[ Edited by solidg2000 on Jan 16, 2010 at 18:33:11 ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:

have you looked at his stats?

he barely had 700 total yards from wr/rb this season

in the past three years (excluding rookie year) Bush had a total of 2567 yards from scrimmage (return yards not included)

Compare that with CJ who had 2509 yards from scrimmage this year.

Bush was selected #2 overall, there are certain expectations that come with being number two overall right?

I'll back of the bust label for now, but as someone stated earlier in this thread he is a huge disappointment.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

in the past three years (excluding rookie year) Bush had a total of 2567 yards from scrimmage (return yards not included)

Bush was selected #2 overall, there are certain expectations that come with being number two overall right?

I'll back of the bust label for now, but as someone stated earlier in this thread he is a huge disappointment.

Yea but he's been hurt every year since his rookie year
that is the main reason for his low stat numbers
this year was his best year as a runner, averaging 5.6 per rush. In years past his best was 3.8

that's why I believe you can't get the bust lable until after your first team gives up on you. If the saints do cut him, then I will agree he's a bust
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

this year was his best year as a runner, averaging 5.6 per rush. In years past his best was 3.8

that's why I believe you can't get the bust lable until after your first team gives up on you. If the saints do cut him, then I will agree he's a bust

You can't just determine if Bush is a bust solely based off of his statistics.

It's well known that the Saints are a pass first team, and the team has MANY weapons on offense. Robert Meachem, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Lance Moore, Jeremy Shockey, Deuce McAllister (2007, 2008), and Pierre Thomas.

Sure he hasn't been the franchise running back that the Saints envisioned when they drafted him. But I compare Reggie Bush to Kevin Faulk of the Patriots. The Patriots utilized him as a threat in the passing, running, and special teams game.

As long as Bush consistently performs at his current role, and adding a spark that complements the offense, then I won't consider him as a bust.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Sorry haters ...

yeah jump on his nuts after one game

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Reggie was never a bust.

The Saints simply never gave him enough carries.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
he's a great playmaker. brees' offense is stacked with weapons and his preference is through the air to a colston or another wide receiver so he really doesn't get to many touches a game. he's not a complete RB, but he can also line up at WR and return punts

still dont regret buying his jersey

• Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

You can't just determine if Bush is a bust solely based off of his statistics.

It's well known that the Saints are a pass first team, and the team has MANY weapons on offense. Robert Meachem, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Lance Moore, Jeremy Shockey, Deuce McAllister (2007, 2008), and Pierre Thomas.

Sure he hasn't been the franchise running back that the Saints envisioned when they drafted him. But I compare Reggie Bush to Kevin Faulk of the Patriots. The Patriots utilized him as a threat in the passing, running, and special teams game.

As long as Bush consistently performs at his current role, and adding a spark that complements the offense, then I won't consider him as a bust.

A #2 Overall Draft pick isnt supposed to be like a Sixth Man in Basketball, acting as the "Spark Plug." He's supposed to be THE go to guy... and at this point, Reggie Bush is getting out-rushed by Pierre Thomas.

If people are willing to call Smith a bust then the same people should call Reggie Bush a bust.
Originally posted by crzy:
Reggie was never a bust.

for some reason, me and you never agree on anything. lol

-9fA
Originally posted by crzy:
Reggie was never a bust.

agree! We need to pick up bush this offseason if the saints let him go! #1 PRIORITY!!!

GORE, BUSH, VD, CRABS
Share 49ersWebzone