LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

• All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm not as tuned into this as some of you so can someone give me the cliff-notes:

QB - my general understanding of the player - cost
  • Zach Wilson - great arm, good instincts, smaller than you'd like but not a huge issue - probable would require multiple 1st round picks and more to trade up for,
  • Trey Lance - raw, but excellent arm and athleticism, has a chance to be the best QB of the class - probably a minor trade up or available at our pick,
  • Justin Fields - good arm and athleticism, good/not great size, but also high "floor" - probably would require multiple 1st round picks and more to trade up for,
  • Mac Jones - good arm talent, good size, not as athletic as the other three - probably will be available with our pick,
  • Other drafted QBs (maybe a trade down / 2nd round pick / etc.),
  • FA (Stafford, Watson, Wentz, etc.) - Watson would be the only obvious improvement, assuming Jimmy is healthy for 2021 - costs could be dramatic, especially for Watson, or
  • Stick with Jimmy and maybe draft a future QB / backup.

Agreed. I love Watson but he's not carrying a team by himself like Wilson. If he could then he'd be doing it in Houston.
The truth about drafting QBs.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by pdc20:
I´m so ready for John and Kyle drafting an edge rusher in the first round and wait in the fifth round to draft a QB.

you are probably correct

Edge rusher, you said edge rusher. "Haha"Lynch says, "I'm drafting Dline to rotate with my other linemen."
Interesting reading this thread re: which QB we could take. But i haven't seen much discussion about the #2 and #3 QBs. This was a disappointing season, and with an injured and dysfunctional OL, it was hard for both Mullens and CJ to show well. But overall, it was enough of a showcase to realize we definitely need to rethink #2 and #3 slots at QB. It's been disappointing, to say the least. Any thots on that?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Interesting reading this thread re: which QB we could take. But i haven't seen much discussion about the #2 and #3 QBs. This was a disappointing season, and with an injured and dysfunctional OL, it was hard for both Mullens and CJ to show well. But overall, it was enough of a showcase to realize we definitely need to rethink #2 and #3 slots at QB. It's been disappointing, to say the least. Any thots on that?

My backup QB of choice would be..... AJ Mccarron. With our system and defense he's not going to lose you games. Which is what you want in a backup.

Plus cheap and experienced
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

If we stay at 12 and pick a QB we can have an open competition between him and Jimmy, loser is the backup next year. Then we move Jimmy, hope Josh Rosen has developed, or look for a cheap backup with Jimmy's money off the books.
Originally posted by krizay:
My backup QB of choice would be..... AJ Mccarron. With our system and defense he's not going to lose you games. Which is what you want in a backup.

Plus cheap and experienced

I Ike it, Picking a QB, you gotta start somewhere...onwards and upwards from there. It would be a good start. As for a starter, my money is on JimmyG remaining the starter, and the wild talk about Dashaun trade for 3 firsts + Bosa was nutty putty. Kyle and JL don't make trades like that.

Kinda hoping the QB is a JL/ Peters pick, hopefully in our magic round, Rd 5. Kyle has had some doozies (not mentioning any names), but as good as he is at picking RBs and TEs, he has not fared as well at picking QBs. And JG was basically forced on us by BB at the 11th hour before trade deadline ended.

How could we not take a hand picked, hand taught BB QB who was supposed to be heir apparent to Brady? At 24-8, he has been a good one. Staying on the field , however, has been the problem. Glad it was an injury during covid and not once it is over and done.

It will be interesting if we take one with one of our 3 rd 5 picks. That's my guess. ..and it is our golden round. Tough yr to prognosticate, tho, since no one knows who will be on the team come FA.

Based on past hx, tho, kyle likes taking qBs in Rds 2-3, and his hx of moving up for QBs is another feature. So , we'll see.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 23, 2021 at 2:23 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm not as tuned into this as some of you so can someone give me the cliff-notes:

QB - my general understanding of the player - cost
  • Zach Wilson - great arm, good instincts, smaller than you'd like but not a huge issue - probable would require multiple 1st round picks and more to trade up for,
  • Trey Lance - raw, but excellent arm and athleticism, has a chance to be the best QB of the class - probably a minor trade up or available at our pick,
  • Justin Fields - good arm and athleticism, good/not great size, but also high "floor" - probably would require multiple 1st round picks and more to trade up for,
  • Mac Jones - good arm talent, good size, not as athletic as the other three - probably will be available with our pick,
  • Other drafted QBs (maybe a trade down / 2nd round pick / etc.),
  • FA (Stafford, Watson, Wentz, etc.) - Watson would be the only obvious improvement, assuming Jimmy is healthy for 2021 - costs could be dramatic, especially for Watson, or
  • Stick with Jimmy and maybe draft a future QB / backup.

.... that bold "has a chance to be the best QB of the class" .... shouldn't this be included in any QBs coming out in this year's draft ??

I still don't see the love on Lance...

Do you all rank him ahead of HASKINS and LOVE had all 3 been on the same Draft Class ??
Originally posted by 9moon:
.... that bold "has a chance to be the best QB of the class" .... shouldn't this be included in any QBs coming out in this year's draft ??

Do you all rank him ahead of HASKINS and LOVE had all 3 been on the same Draft Class ??

To an extent yes, but it's basically saying "Has the highest ceiling".

Haskins is no comparison, just completely different QB's.

From what I've heard of Love is probably closer.

I've written a lot on Lance on his thread, but in summary, it's like scouting a Freshman, some work out, some don't, the sample size is so small.

The tools will make you drool though, don't listen to anyone who says he's just a runner, his footwork might be the best in the class already. Kid is scratching the surface, but can he breakthrough?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

To an extent yes, but it's basically saying "Has the highest ceiling".

Haskins is no comparison, just completely different QB's.

From what I've heard of Love is probably closer.

I've written a lot on Lance on his thread, but in summary, it's like scouting a Freshman, some work out, some don't, the sample size is so small.

The tools will make you drool though, don't listen to anyone who says he's just a runner, his footwork might be the best in the class already. Kid is scratching the surface, but can he breakthrough?

WELL, I respect your opinion on the kid... I will not argue here because I just didn't see enough and the year he started, I only read about him..

IF he was like Fields and that kid (Rattler) from Oklahoma, both players I saw often, then I may just argue that he aint ready...

but if I'm going to base it from the highlights I saw, I would advice him to stay another year because if he ends up w/the team that needs a QB and will start him right away, I'd be afraid for his future..

WELL, I respect your opinion on the kid... I will not argue here because I just didn't see enough and the year he started, I only read about him..

IF he was like Fields and that kid (Rattler) from Oklahoma, both players I saw often, then I may just argue that he aint ready...

but if I'm going to base it from the highlights I saw, I would advice him to stay another year because if he ends up w/the team that needs a QB and will start him right away, I'd be afraid for his future..

I agree he needs more experience, but I don't knock him on his decision, they are slated to play Spring football, against nobody's, he can't raise his stock doing that, and would miss the draft.

Then who knows how many regular season games they get in next season.

You're basically forcing him to play 2 college seasons in 9 months at FCS level to get drafted, not worth it IMO.

No team should start him straight away, but I agree with you that it wouldn't go well.
Seems like a very real possibility that 5 QB's get selected in the first round this year, and almost for sure 4 within the first 10 slots and the 5th QB before the 20th pick in round 1. There's gonna be some interesting trades going on. I hope our FO and scouts are on the ball this draft season.
If all these QB go top 11 there will be some serious talent available we aren't thinking about right now.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
If all these QB go top 11 there will be some serious talent available we aren't thinking about right now.

you thinking of that LB from Penn State (Micah)?? woooooooo!!! man, that'll be something if he's there as the best player available for us..
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Nice post... Just a reminder...one of the qualities that sold Bill Walsh on Joe Montana was his footwork. This is a very important quality for a QB and one that is underrated IMHO. When a QB doesn't reach his potential (such as Kaepernick for example), it is often because this skill is not developed.

This is one of the reasons I like Lance so much. He has got all the tools (arm, athleticism, leadership ability, and footwork). Yes, he is inexperienced so you sit him for a year or two to assimilate Kyle's offense and then you have a stud. This would be my ideal number one pick. Trade up if you have to but get this kid.

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone