There are 117 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

Imo, build up the defense, draft Mills in the middle rounds, and all eyes ahead towards Carson Strong.

Unless Trent Williams walks. That changes everything.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Imo, build up the defense, draft Mills in the middle rounds, and all eyes ahead towards Carson Strong.

Unless Trent Williams walks. That changes everything.

Did Brock Purdy from Iowa State enter the draft? I really liked the video of him against Oklahoma that JTO evaluated. His mechanics look beautiful.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Did Brock Purdy from Iowa State enter the draft? I really liked the video of him against Oklahoma that JTO evaluated. His mechanics look beautiful.

Nope. But he's a career backup at best.
Originally posted by krizay:
This could not have been a more horrible week. First Mac Jones places himself out of our reach. Then Stafford gets traded elsewhere.

A part of me is now on board with trading up for Wilson or Jones. Then the other part is telling me don't force the hand. Fold em and wait for the next hand.

IMO, trade down a couple times. Build up OL both starters and depth. Grab a pair of edge rushers. Replenish the secondary while adding some day 3 offensive weapons.

Having a great supporting cast and replenishing our depth will go a longer way to helping the team than 1 QB. We can succeed with lesser QBs until we find our guy.
I dont think there will be 5 QBS taken in the top 11 or that Jones will be gone before our pick. In no way would I trade up for either Lance or Jones. One of them will fall to us at 12 if that is the direction the Niners want to go.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I dont think there will be 5 QBS taken in the top 11 or that Jones will be gone before our pick. In no way would I trade up for either Lance or Jones. One of them will fall to us at 12 if that is the direction the Niners want to go.

I don't believe 5 go top 10 either. I see Lance in a possible free fall.

If push comes to shove I wouldn't trade up for any of the QBs.
I don't believe 5 go top 10 either. I see Lance in a possible free fall.

If push comes to shove I wouldn't trade up for any of the QBs.

Where would you take Lance if he fell?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I'm currently reevaluating that. Before today there was no circumstance I would have taken him(or trask) I'm not a fan of grabbing a QB just to grab a QB.

However, I'm going back through Lance (and Trask) and may or may not have moved off of my absolute.

After the Stafford trade I'm afraid this might be one of them don't go to the store hungry situations.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
This could not have been a more horrible week. First Mac Jones places himself out of our reach. Then Stafford gets traded elsewhere.

A part of me is now on board with trading up for Wilson or Jones. Then the other part is telling me don't force the hand. Fold em and wait for the next hand.

IMO, trade down a couple times. Build up OL both starters and depth. Grab a pair of edge rushers. Replenish the secondary while adding some day 3 offensive weapons.

Having a great supporting cast and replenishing our depth will go a longer way to helping the team than 1 QB. We can succeed with lesser QBs until we find our guy.

If we can get some depth from the free agency period (i.e. we are able to sign t. Williams, and maybe a good FA DB and a good FA Hyder/Blair kind of edge rusher) i can see ShanaLynch trade up for what they think as BPA - which could be a QB or OLineman.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I'm currently reevaluating that. Before today there was no circumstance I would have taken him(or trask) I'm not a fan of grabbing a QB just to grab a QB.

However, I'm going back through Lance (and Trask) and may or may not have moved off of my absolute.

After the Stafford trade I'm afraid this might be one of them don't go to the store hungry situations.

Fair enough, it is interesting, that was where I was with Mac Jones at first, but definitely have changed that opinion.

I wasn't going to bother watching Trask, but I want to do Pitts, so guess I'll end up having a look.

I'm absolutely against taking one for the sake of it, that's how you end up with Blake Bortles or EJ Manuel.

Outside of Lawrence and Wilson, the only other guy I really would want in the first is Mac Jones.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Outside of Lawrence and Wilson, the only other guy I really would want in the first is Mac Jones.

I'm thinking this as well. But I think they will all be long gone by 12. In that case take bpa or trade around to reload the rest of the team as others have said.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Same
I've finished watching the 4 realistic 1st rd QB's. They're all very interesting, but I honestly don't feel that a single one gives us a better chance of winning next year than Jimmy.

Look at Herbert, record shattering stud rookie QB, they go 7-9.

With that in mind if I'm taking one I'm shooting for upside, and reluctant to shift significant draft capital.

I think that leaves Trey Lance as the best option.
If you are out on Jimmy, the above doesn't apply so will give my scenario for that.

Option #1 trade up for Zach Wilson, best mix of ready to go and potential

#2 draft Mac Jones at 12, high floor and what he has works great with Kyle.

#3 trade up for Fields, highest upside of the class and I include Trevor in that. Nothing he couldn't do given the right development.

#4 draft Lance at 12, read above, just with slightly less chance of reaching that ceiling.
Share 49ersWebzone