Tickets
Super Bowl 54
Buy Gear

There are 216 users in the forums

WR class 2020

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think homerun speed will play a major factor. Teams are stuffing the box so frequently because Goodwin has largely been a non-factor. He hasn't shown himself to be much of a threat so teams have been ignoring him. I don't see him sticking around after this season.

I think it is crucial to add someone that defenses will have to respect and worry about beating them down the field. I don't care if that guy is big or small as long as he presents a legitimate field stretching threat to go along with Kittle, Sanders, Deebo, Taylor..etc.

I also think part of the issue is Jimmy G doesn't throw the ball deep very often. Regardless if Goodwin sucks or not he still has speed to beat his man. They just don't take shots deep
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM ]
Convince bears to trade Allen Robinson. Draft Freiermuth early. Draft Duvernay later. No more pass catching problems.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Convince bears to trade Allen Robinson. Draft Freiermuth early. Draft Duvernay later. No more pass catching problems.

What we giving up for Arob lol? Dude has a $15M cap hit next yr as well. Not an option imo.

This draft is deep at WR, move down acquire more picks and get a WR and then some.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I also think part of the issue is Jimmy G doesn't throw the ball deep very often. Regardless if Goodwin sucks or not he still has speed to beat his man. They just don't take shots deep

OL has been part of the reason why but Goodwin really hasn't given teams much reason to worry about him since 2017. I don't see the same flashes and that deep passing attack is the next step in the evolution of this offense. They really need someone that can consistently take the top off the defense and force them to keep their safeties back further.

If they cut ties with Goodwin as expected then its something I'd definitely expect Kyle to address in the draft.
OL has been part of the reason why but Goodwin really hasn't given teams much reason to worry about him since 2017. I don't see the same flashes and that deep passing attack is the next step in the evolution of this offense. They really need someone that can consistently take the top off the defense and force them to keep their safeties back further.

If they cut ties with Goodwin as expected then its something I'd definitely expect Kyle to address in the draft.

Yes I agree PP limits the deep shots to a certain pt. I mean Goodwin is still stupid fast, that hasn't changed. Jimmy G overall just doesn't take deep shots. If the OL is a bigger issue, then trying to get a deep threat is kinda pointless until they fix the PP imo.

FWIW I like hamler and I think they move on from Goodwin...I don't know if that is gonna change this team taking deep shots
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM ]
Yes I agree PP limits the deep shots to a certain pt. I mean Goodwin is still stupid fast, that hasn't changed. Jimmy G overall just doesn't take deep shots. If the OL is a bigger issue, then trying to get a deep threat is kinda pointless until they fix the PP imo.

FWIW I like hamler and I think they move on from Goodwin...I don't know if that is gonna change this team taking deep shots

Being a legit deep threat is about more than just speed otherwise teams could just go down to NCAA track meets to scout receivers. Goodwin hasn't been good. Not in his route running and not in his ability to bring in the football when thrown his way. Teams notice these things on film and will be more likely to risk it when it comes to guys that aren't performing and Goodwin hasn't looked close to what we saw from him in 2017.

If Deebo keeps this up and Sanders returns then I think the biggest need on offense becomes a field stretching receiver to go along with those two and Kittle.

I don't think they even practice throes much over 25 yards. I say that because it seems like Jimmy under throws the really deep passes when he tries them so the receiver has to slow up allowing the defender to make up ground. It's not because he doesn't have the arm strength but those deep passes require a lot of reps to get the right amount of loft so the runner runs under it.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't think they even practice throes much over 25 yards. I say that because it seems like Jimmy under throws the really deep passes when he tries them so the receiver has to slow up allowing the defender to make up ground. It's not because he doesn't have the arm strength but those deep passes require a lot of reps to get the right amount of loft so the runner runs under it.

A deep passing game is the next level that this offense needs to get to. Punish defenses for creeping up and sitting on the underneath stuff. Knowing Shanahan's "one shot, one kill" philosophy, I am guessing that is where we will see the offensive emphasis fall this season. Cut the driftwood loose and add more speed to this offense, force defenses to have to defend every inch of the field.
A deep passing game is the next level that this offense needs to get to. Punish defenses for creeping up and sitting on the underneath stuff. Knowing Shanahan's "one shot, one kill" philosophy, I am guessing that is where we will see the offensive emphasis fall this season. Cut the driftwood loose and add more speed to this offense, force defenses to have to defend every inch of the field.

You sound like Di Niro in 'The Deerhunter'.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
You sound like Di Niro in 'The Deerhunter'.

Never seen it.

Being a legit deep threat is about more than just speed otherwise teams could just go down to NCAA track meets to scout receivers. Goodwin hasn't been good. Not in his route running and not in his ability to bring in the football when thrown his way. Teams notice these things on film and will be more likely to risk it when it comes to guys that aren't performing and Goodwin hasn't looked close to what we saw from him in 2017.

If Deebo keeps this up and Sanders returns then I think the biggest need on offense becomes a field stretching receiver to go along with those two and Kittle.

And here we thought this was the year we would have a well rounded receiving groups. I'm all in on bringing in another deep threat at this point.

Teams noticing these things is probably why Goodwin was inactive as opposed to Pettis. I thought that was interesting.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Nov 25, 2019 at 2:32 AM ]

Yes he hasn't been great as of late...he's still has elite speed on those go-routes. regardless of his ball-skills (which have always sucked) they don't even try to it throw deep. In todays game you have an almost 50/50 shot of getting a PI just as easily.

I'm all for upgrading the WR spot (have been for yrs) all I'm saying is our offense under Jimmy G rarely takes deep shots. I don't think that magically changes with a speed demon.

I'm with ya...I'm just not confident in our QB to make those deep throws overall. We've seen Beathard make those deep throws (only thing he does well) JG not so much

Maybe it changes with some new pass catchers.
I'm biased as a CU guy, but Shanault is someone to watch. He can do it all. His game fits the NFL so well.

There's speculation that he's viewed as a 3rd round prospect because of injury concerns. IMO, he too good to make it out of the 2nd.
[ Edited by strickac on Nov 27, 2019 at 3:50 PM ]
Share 49erswebzone