LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Realistic LB Picks

Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Agree. I don't think this team has any glaring holes, and we can truly go for BPA. This draft should be all about depth. Great position to be in.

honestly the only real hole IMO is safety. I'm not sure they resign Ward and I don't know about Moore. Move down and go from there is probably the best option.

like you said great position to be in.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Agree. I don't think this team has any glaring holes, and we can truly go for BPA. This draft should be all about depth. Great position to be in.

honestly the only real hole IMO is safety. I'm not sure they resign Ward and I don't know about Moore. Move down and go from there is probably the best option.

Safety, guard, and maybe tackle. I only say maybe tackle because even though the Skule and Brunskill have done an excellent job, can they be left to handle the top pass rushers given no help or no more than than you would give Staley and MM? Can they hold their blocks for longer developing pass plays? If it's a yes to both, then we have a longterm tackle of the future on the team. If the answer is no, we have longterm swing tackles on the team.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Safety, guard, and maybe tackle. I only say maybe tackle because even though the Skule and Brunskill have done an excellent job, can they be left to handle the top pass rushers given no help or no more than than you would give Staley and MM? Can they hold their blocks for longer developing pass plays? If it's a yes to both, then we have a longterm tackle of the future on the team. If the answer is no, we have longterm swing tackles on the team.
Unlikely you will find a Tackle with that ability late in the first round though.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
1st rd pick will either be used to trade back and recoup picks or an O-Lineman, S or WR will be the pick, the best fit at LB would be Troy Dye out of Oregon but he's going in the top 50 IMO, a couple players that as of now who would be there in the 4-7th I like are Leo Lewis out for MSU, KJ Britt out of Auburn, my biggest sleeper is TJ Brunson from South Carolina,

Thanks for the info!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Evan Weaver is a tackling machine for Cal, 151 total tackles, 15 tackles per game.......insane

1. Free Safety. Ward likely isn't a long term option and you can't just hand it to Moore by default. More impact from this position would be huge.

2. Edge rusher. This team's biggest advantage on defense is upfront and I think they would hugely benefit from a legit third edge rushing option that can develop into a starter long term. Ford's knee is a ticking time bomb so I think it is absolutely crucial to add someone that can step in for him. Having a rotation of Ford, Bosa, a talented rookie edge and Moore would be ferocious.

3. Rocket receiver-Goodwin is on the way out and they really need someone with homerun speed to back defenses up and make them think twice about cheating against the run.

4. Backup center. IMO the biggest dropoff on the OL is at center. Its terrifying whenever Richburg goes out because the dropoff is enormous. Need to bring in a young center to develop.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kwon Alexander will be 26 yrs old next season; Fred Warner will be 24.

I wouldn't even consider drafting a stack LB until day 3 unless it's glaringly BPA.

You're the only one who answered the question.

Agreed. If anything, I'd like a LB that has the ability to play DE in small spurts. Essentially a 3-4 OLB type. Considering how thin we are at edge (with the injuries), it would be nice to have someone else in the mix. Not at all worried about Alexander. We are pretty set with Alexander, Greenlaw, and Warner.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kwon Alexander will be 26 yrs old next season; Fred Warner will be 24.

I wouldn't even consider drafting a stack LB until day 3 unless it's glaringly BPA.

You're the only one who answered the question.

We young..
We fast..
We have money....
We drafting late... ..
all that point to trading down and get the best player available. .

BUT... we do need a young LT and a WR.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Unlikely you will find a Tackle with that ability late in the first round though.

You mean like joe Staley?
After Kwon went down I knew we were going to have problems stopping the run.

He was a beast while playing - super fast reaction time and sure tackler.

Backups are just that and are not showing anything near good enough.

I'd say its a very big need heading into next season even though Kwon is coming back.

But im in agreement with some others who advocate for BPA at this point with this team.

Originally posted by SFrush:

Joe Staley was pick 28. It can happen.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Evan Weaver is a tackling machine for Cal, 151 total tackles, 15 tackles per game.......insane

I would love to get this guy in the 5th round. Have two picks in that round and he would be a great addition to this LB corps. Former defensive end who has developed into a monster ILB.
Malik Harrison (6'3" 240 / Ohio State) is a real player. Excellent athlete and a playmaker. He flashes at least three or four times every game on top of doing all the dirty work. He's improved every year and with a nice combine he can work himself up to the 2nd round. I think he would be an excellent pick for us.
Now that the Niners have run the gauntlet and won 2 out of 3 against top competition in the NFL, it's clearer that they will NOT need to look at LB's until the later rounds. Greenlaw, Al-Shaiir, Lee and Nzeocha have been serviceable since Kwon went down. That said, a late round pick for a SLB shouldn't be out of the question. Nzeocha is a good special teams player, but not much more.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Now that the Niners have run the gauntlet and won 2 out of 3 against top competition in the NFL, it's clearer that they will NOT need to look at LB's until the later rounds. Greenlaw, Al-Shaiir, Lee and Nzeocha have been serviceable since Kwon went down. That said, a late round pick for a SLB shouldn't be out of the question. Nzeocha is a good special teams player, but not much more.

I mean wasn't Greenlaw our SLB LBer before Kwon got hurt? I'm fine if they pass on the position all together this yr. We got good young depth.
Share 49ersWebzone