There are 328 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2019 NFLDraft Niners Review

Originally posted by SJniner7:
Great job as usual MD.

My zone time is limited now, but I always pop in to see your expert analysis come draft time.

Have you even reevaluated your draft scores after 3+ years? I'm curious on the accuracy. 1 or even 2 years is probably a bit too soon.

Here you go!

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/185872-maddog49er-2016-draft-review/
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/188754-maddog49er-draft-analysis-class-2017/
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190955-maddog49er-2018-nfl-draft-review/
Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions and make the effort to do all of the work that you do MD. Man I would have l much preferred it if the Niners had made your picks instead of theirs. Which brings me to my last question, what is the team draft strategy? It might be easier to understand the choices. Thanks MD.
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Great job as usual MD.

My zone time is limited now, but I always pop in to see your expert analysis come draft time.

Have you even reevaluated your draft scores after 3+ years? I'm curious on the accuracy. 1 or even 2 years is probably a bit too soon.

Here you go!

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/185872-maddog49er-2016-draft-review/
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/188754-maddog49er-draft-analysis-class-2017/
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190955-maddog49er-2018-nfl-draft-review/

One stop shopping. Thanks.
Just want to save I love your write-ups.

One thing I really appreciate about you is how objective you are. Fan message boards are so often littered with blind homers that are completely incapable of assessing things fairly. A lot of times, the most popular posters on a forum are the cheerleader-types that kiss ass and constantly praise the front office or offer rosy projections... of course, everyone gobbles it up because it's what they want to hear. In fact, in almost every topic you make, there are a handful of replies from butthurt posters that are upset you're aren't blindly praising the front office.

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight. Every year around draft time I make an effort to find your draft analysis. I especially love your personal top 50.
Originally posted by theduke85:

One thing I really appreciate about you is how objective you are. Fan message boards are so often littered with blind homers that are completely incapable of assessing things fairly. A lot of times, the most popular posters on a forum are the cheerleader-types that kiss ass and constantly praise the front office or offer rosy projections... of course, everyone gobbles it up because it's what they want to hear. In fact, in almost every topic you make, there are a handful of replies from butthurt posters that are upset you're aren't blindly praising the front office.

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight. Every year around draft time I make an effort to find your draft analysis. I especially love your personal top 50.

Tru dat.
I have a feeling this guy might have a few issues in here. LMFAO

Originally posted by theduke85:

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I think most posters here are really insightful, and the level of discourse is much better than other places where people share ideas. I find this board to be well above the curve in knowing their stuff. They may come to different final assessments, but there are a lot of guys here who are junkies like me, watching game film and breaking down players.

I started doing this in high school in the 1980s, and it grew on me. Now that fans can have access to almost everything an evaluator sees on tape, it really narrows the difference in analyzing players. It used to be that I would have to scrap around to find a handful of game film on a particular athlete. Through the magic of the internet, anybody can do a comprehensive analysis. It is a really great time to follow the draft.
MadDog49er, Thanks for all the work you put into this. I've heard the word great value for years and we've had little to nothing to show for it. Tank Carradine,Corey Lemonier,Quinton Patton, Marcus Martin,Eli Harold, Brandan Thomas,Reuben Foster and the list goes on and on. All of these guys gave us little to nothing but were all great value. I want guys they think fit the system and can make plays not what Mel Kiper,Todd McShay and some other talking head thinks. Bill B drafts have gotten bad grades in the past but all they do is win.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
MadDog49er, Thanks for all the work you put into this. I've heard the word great value for years and we've had little to nothing to show for it. Tank Carradine,Corey Lemonier,Quinton Patton, Marcus Martin,Eli Harold, Brandan Thomas,Reuben Foster and the list goes on and on. All of these guys gave us little to nothing but were all great value. I want guys they think fit the system and can make plays not what Mel Kiper,Todd McShay and some other talking head thinks. Bill B drafts have gotten bad grades in the past but all they do is win.

This. You need to have a plan for every guy you draft on the first two days. It doesn't matter how other teams rate guys, where talking heads think he should go, or even what players may be better overall players than him.

Every guy you draft in the early rounds is a chess piece and part of a larger tactical and strategic plan.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

Thanks for the kind words. Belechick is the best coach in the game with the best coaching staff in the game with the best QB in the game. They are a well-oiled machine. However, I think the magic will run dry once Brady is gone. He was a sub-.500 coach before Brady. It will be nearly impossible to keep this streak going, because the drop-off in talent at QB is going to hit the franchise hard (see note on 49ers post Montana/Young era). Schemes work, but you better have outstanding talent around it, which he does.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw or heard what Kiper or McShay says. They are more cartoon characters than analysts to me.

You are right that value means nothing if they can't play the game. That is why I put DK Metcalf as WR13 for me, even when most experts had him as WR1 or WR2. I just don't think he is very good at the next level.

If you listen to the talking heads, you end up with a Josh Rosen (my QB4) instead of a Baker Mayfield (my QB1), a Mitchell Trubisky (my QB2) instead of a Patrick Mahomes (my QB1), a Jadeveon Clowney (my 11th overall) to a Khalil Mack (my number 1 overall), a Leonard Fournette (my number 4 WR) to a Christian McCaffrey (RB1), Alvin Kamara (RB2) and Kareem Hunt (RB3). I don't mind taking the lonely road (See note on JJ Watt, Bobby Wagner, Andy Isabella, etc.) because I don't listen to the talking heads. If you buy into a player because of what someone says, instead of watching what they do, you are going to be wrong more often than if you ignore the noise and stick to your convictions.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 29, 2019 at 8:50 PM ]

As always, Thanks MD for another year of your hardwork and expertise on this time of the year!
We are all entitled to our own opinion. It's a good review of the 2019 49ers draft. But as for me, I like the Samuel and Hurd draft combo. These are the type of players that 49ers do not have many currently in their roster, playmakers. Only 2 players that make things happen, Kittle and Goodwin when healthy. Samuel and Hurd are play makers. I can't wait to see these guys on the field. I like these first 3 picks
The icing on the cake is Smith and Greenlaw. These are solid 6th round picks.
Originally posted by All22:
I always appreciate all the work you put into the draft every year. Your posts are one of the true gems that make this place what it is.

That said, I don't know what team you're drafting for...

2. AJ Brown, WR, Mississippi- I don't get all the love for this guy. Slightly bigger than Deebo with less quickness and route running. Could be good with the right team but he's going to get a shock when his dominance fails to transfer to the next level (similar to Jalen Strong or DeVante Parker).
3. Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St- Doesn't have the routes or hands that Kyle likes.
4. Amani Hooker, S, Iowa- Our team, and the league in general, is full of robber/box safeties. We need a single-high guy.
5. Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M- Drafting an RB in the 5th who doesn't fit the system and who would be at best 4th string behind Jet, Coleman, and Breida is worse than drafting a punter in the 4th.

6. Te'Von Coney, LB, Notre Dame- ALL LB's in a Cover 3 system have to be fast, cover distance, and be able to cover crossing routes, backs and TE's. He's just not that guy.

LOVE THIS!!!!!, Sometimes coaches and scouts ARE right. Im sure Mullens didn't have a big following or praise from the scouts and Mel kippers of the world, only to come in and win games and make plays. I think Hurd can be an Anquan Bolden at best, or a Delaine Walker chess piece at worst.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Spot on. C+ was my grade as well.

The two most important areas that make both our systems run, interior pass protection and single-high free safety were never addressed in either free agency or the draft.

That's remarkable actually.

But a lot of other key pieces were certainly added overall.

I thought I saw some promising prospects they signed in the undrafted free agency period. We shall see.

Kyle was able to spot undrafteds in Breida and Bourne, hoping he has the same magic for our interior line and Free and Strong Safety areas.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
As always MadDog thanks for all your work on the draft coverage, you´re the best.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Apr 30, 2019 at 7:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone