LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 395 users in the forums

this is why we took Ford, and now may NOT get Bosa

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by littleken:
What would Buckner think if we draft Quinnen Williams. Who is play 3T and who is nose tackle? Both players are best fit to play 3T, so forcing one to play out of position is not good. If the team is going to put Buckner on trade block, or have no plan to sign him to a long term deal, then draft Williams make some sense. But what does that do to the locker room. Buckner did everything right. He is a leader. He never got into trouble. He work hard. He produced on the field. He stayed healthy. Lynch and Shanahan are always about sending the right message to the locker room. So why wouldn't the team want to give Buckner a long term deal?

QW is a perfect fit at 1 tech. Not sure why everyone keeps having this idea that he can't play NT.

DJ Jones is also a perfect fit at 1 tech. And Armstead slides down to DT on pass rushing downs anyways.

As it stands right meow, we have one legit edge rusher and a plethora of interior guys. Get Bosa, dont be stupid.
Originally posted by littleken:
What would Buckner think if we draft Quinnen Williams. Who is play 3T and who is nose tackle? Both players are best fit to play 3T, so forcing one to play out of position is not good. If the team is going to put Buckner on trade block, or have no plan to sign him to a long term deal, then draft Williams make some sense. But what does that do to the locker room. Buckner did everything right. He is a leader. He never got into trouble. He work hard. He produced on the field. He stayed healthy. Lynch and Shanahan are always about sending the right message to the locker room. So why wouldn't the team want to give Buckner a long term deal?

QW is a perfect fit at 1 tech. Not sure why everyone keeps having this idea that he can't play NT.

QW is perfect fit tor 3T, not 1T, period. He can play NT, just not the best fit.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Ford just gives you a little more flexibility in what you do with the #2 overall pick but I don't think picking up Ford was an indication they plan on passing on Bosa.

But I do believe Q. Williams is very much in play because Williams is the unicorn of this draft class.

Maybe a clumsy analogy here but It's like deciding between picking Aaron Donald or picking Joey Bosa. You're not wrong either way but Donald is clearly the better overall defender.

I tend to be in favor of Williams because when you have the ability to draft a unicorn you take the unicorn and figure it out later because if you have a bonafide All-Pro on your hands it's going to all work somehow.

Buckner and Williams would completely blow up the interior of lines and you have Ford speed around the edge to clean up the sack.

The other thing to consider is the NFC West is the run-heaviest division in football so being strong up front is a bigger plus in this division compared to others. Also with Wilson and potentially Murray being seen 4 times a year the best way to shut them down is to blow up the interior of the line which messes up their ability to see the throwing lanes and the edge guys be disciplined in not letting them scramble outside of them.

Regardless at #2 the 9ers have a problem every team wish they could have.

If they draft Williams and don't trade AA they have a surplus of guys at the interior line position. One thing to consider is Buckner's upcoming free agency. If they can't agree on a new contract and he leaves at least they have Williams. And they have the option of franchising Buckner so if he left the Niners would get at least one first round compensatory pick.
Much harder to find elite edge than DT. Plus don't we have like 7 DT on the roster. Bosa it is.
Best part is now we can take either.
Ultimate silverlining
Originally posted by hofer36:
i dont think nick bosa is as good as his brother joey--id take williams

I kinda felt that way too in beginning, then the hype train swept me away. I'm now doing a 360. I too think he may not be as good as advertised and both of them don't play hurt. I'm leaning to Williams and another rusher in the 2nd or 3rd rds.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Quinnen Williams is so much better than Bosa at his respective position. I can't see how people can't see this. QW = Super Elite. Bosa will be a good player who may not even be great. Plus Bosa has been injured in College. Pairing QW with Buckner would be unfair. They would crush the pocket from the inside not allowing QB's to function. I just hope AZ doesn't pick Quinnen Williams. With our FA moves it's obvious we are headed this direction. You don't sink that much money into an edge guy just to draft another edge guy. It's QW and that is in fact great.

#SharingYourSentiment
Exactly what I've been saying for some time now...with Ford on board (no pun intended), I see the pendulum swinging to QW (Big Dog). The reasons are pretty clear...QW would open up all kinds of options for Saleh and new DL Coach Kocurek. The latter has proven his ability to get the most out of his legions...in an aggressive manner. That speaks volumes about what Coach can get out of his group. Williams is undoubtedly not only the best DL in this draft, but arguably the best overall defender. I don't see Lynch passing on him. Adding QW should result in the best DL since the Harbaugh era. The sky may be the limit on how good this group could be. All of that will help Ford and whomever else they acquire to rush the passer.
Originally posted by GNS1310:
I have Ford at LOLB and Bosa at RDE on Madden.
Just sayin.

Is this the plan tho??, I'd be for the Bosa pick if this is the 49ers plan, but I'm not sure it is.
PS- How do they look on Madden with that set up ??lol
IDK, but doesn't the signing of Ford, (and previous persuit of Griffen) kinda lean towards the article being more legit tho?? It seems that if Bosa is the pick of the 49ers, then why would we dump tons of $$$$$ into a guy that plays the same position? Now, If Ford is to be a Sam LB that rushes on 3rd down, maybe , just maybe I can see us still going after Bosa. But, its leaning towards Quinnen Williams or maybe a Josh Allen??? I completely agree with the sentiment that QW shouldn't be forced to the NT position, but I did see him lined up OVER CENTER a lot during his highlight reals and during games, J/S.. This reminds me of the Dana Stubblefield and Bryant Young days, with Chris Dolman (Ford) and Roy Barker(Power rushing LDE,AA??) at the ends. We sacked EVERYBODY!!! Pete carrol was our DC, and we had a "Legion of Boom "too

I see two logical potential trade down options:

Using the NFL trade value chart, we could make either of the following trades and still come away with a stud pass rusher and fill a hole at either WR/FS/CB with mid-1st round value players.

Trade 1: Oakland receives the 2nd overall pick (2600 points) and gives us the 4th overall (1800), 24th overall (740) and the 106th overall (82) to move up to target either Mack's replacement or Carr's successor potentially.

Trade 2: NYG receives the 2nd overall picks (2600 points) and gives us the 6th overall (1600), 17th overall (950) and the 108th overall (78) to move up to secure their QB of the future. We could probably leverage a little more out of them here given that QBs net a premium haul, but for the sake of simplicity, lets keep the deal proposal in line with the trade value chart.

In either deal, we're still in position to take an edge rusher to complement Ford with whichever edge player we deem most suitable for our scheme(Burns, Allen, Sweat or Ferrell) and then target our secondary or WR with the other mid-1st round pick we picked up in the deal.

So my question is would we be better served with Bosa or QW at 2, or a combination of a player like Allen and an ideal scheme-fit FS prospect like Nasir Adderley with the other 1st?

Just some thoughts...the Ford trade opened up some fun options for us IMO.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
49ers Torn on Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa Updated March 12, 2019
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.
Around NFL teams and in the national media, the assumption is the Cardinals or another team will select Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray with the No. 1-overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. At No. 2 therefore, there is a consensus that the 49ers will take Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa. From speaking to 49ers sources, however, the team is very torn on who to take with that pick due to loving Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. Multiple team sources were more enthusiastic about Williams than they were about Bosa at the NFL Scouting Combine and in the week afterward.
Sources with the 49ers were gushing about Williams. They think he is a rare prospect with an amazing skill set of speed and athleticism. Team sources also like Williams' makeup as an individual, and they are very high on his immense upside. Team sources were gushing about how Williams dominated in 2018 in only his first season of real playing time. They feel that the sky is the limit for his potential.
With Bosa, their praise was not as effusive. They like him and feel he is probably the safer pick, but they did not talk about him as being as special of a player or athlete like Williams is. The other thing going for Bosa is edge rush is a bigger need than defensive tackle. Defensive end Solomon Thomas has been a massive disappointment in the pass rush department, while defensive tackle DeForest Buckner was superb last year, ripping off 12 sacks in his third season.
The 49ers want to improve their pass rush, and team sources said that taking Williams to pair with Buckner could be similar to the Los Angeles Rams pairing Ndamukong Suh with Aaron Donald. Another edge rusher who has been projected to be in play for the 49ers is Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen, but 49ers sources were not high on Allen for the No. 2 pick. Allen would be more of a candidate if they traded down. Trading down is also an option that San Francisco would consider.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#ixzz5i1wNRtSb
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#jxBQluS3iEuOFfU1.99
****THEY ARE NOT AS HIGH ON ALLEN AND BOSA AS MOST OF YOU ARE!!! THEY LOVE THIS GUY
I don't believe it . You cant believe what you hear during draft time . The niners will draft nick bosa and its a lock after kyler goes number 1 .
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Hey if we think AZ may pass on Bosa for QW who's to say we wouldn't?

Personally I think we take Bosa if he's there since we still technically need a Leo and we are stacked inside.

If Bosa goes one I do think it could be QW or a trade down.

No we think AZ is drafting Murray and AZ does have to edge rushers in jones and Suggs.
If QW is a generational talent, take him and shop Solomon. May only be able to get a 4th, or something, for him, but it is better than grasping onto an obvious mistake just because he was drafted high. Own up to a mistake and make amends by drafting a beast.
Two great pass rushers seems to me more valuable/productive than two great interior guys. One reason might be that it's easier to block players lining up next to each other--perhaps with a triple team. But, after Ford, the Niners might trade down and take the best pass rusher on their board available. Then, perhaps, WR Parris Campbell and FS Nasir Adderly in the second round.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Mar 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone