There are 179 users in the forums

this is why we took Ford, and now may NOT get Bosa

49ers Torn on Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa Updated March 12, 2019
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.
Around NFL teams and in the national media, the assumption is the Cardinals or another team will select Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray with the No. 1-overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. At No. 2 therefore, there is a consensus that the 49ers will take Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa. From speaking to 49ers sources, however, the team is very torn on who to take with that pick due to loving Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. Multiple team sources were more enthusiastic about Williams than they were about Bosa at the NFL Scouting Combine and in the week afterward.
Sources with the 49ers were gushing about Williams. They think he is a rare prospect with an amazing skill set of speed and athleticism. Team sources also like Williams' makeup as an individual, and they are very high on his immense upside. Team sources were gushing about how Williams dominated in 2018 in only his first season of real playing time. They feel that the sky is the limit for his potential.
With Bosa, their praise was not as effusive. They like him and feel he is probably the safer pick, but they did not talk about him as being as special of a player or athlete like Williams is. The other thing going for Bosa is edge rush is a bigger need than defensive tackle. Defensive end Solomon Thomas has been a massive disappointment in the pass rush department, while defensive tackle DeForest Buckner was superb last year, ripping off 12 sacks in his third season.
The 49ers want to improve their pass rush, and team sources said that taking Williams to pair with Buckner could be similar to the Los Angeles Rams pairing Ndamukong Suh with Aaron Donald. Another edge rusher who has been projected to be in play for the 49ers is Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen, but 49ers sources were not high on Allen for the No. 2 pick. Allen would be more of a candidate if they traded down. Trading down is also an option that San Francisco would consider.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#ixzz5i1wNRtSb
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/49ers-Torn-on-Quinnen-Williams,-Nick-Bosa#jxBQluS3iEuOFfU1.99
****THEY ARE NOT AS HIGH ON ALLEN AND BOSA AS MOST OF YOU ARE!!! THEY LOVE THIS GUY
No
I mean yes.
Best part is now we can take either.
I hope this article is true. And that AZ does not draft him. I want QW now that we have Ford.

Great thing is if AZ does draft him we simply draft Bosa.

Cannot lose in this situation. Just draft whoever is remaining of the two. If AZ takes Murray..............

Whoever Shanalynch likes the best between QW and Bosa. Just get one of them.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Mar 12, 2019 at 11:46 PM ]
i dont think nick bosa is as good as his brother joey--id take williams
I personally like Williams more. But I would understand if they take Bosa. Either way the Niners will get a crack at one of those 2....and after the Dee Ford signing, there shouldn't be pressure to draft for need. They should take who they think is the better player, has the better chance to be a game changer, ect.
They like Bosa, they're getting him as long as he passes # 1. Take it to the bank
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Mar 12, 2019 at 11:49 PM ]
Quinnen Williams is so much better than Bosa at his respective position. I can't see how people can't see this. QW = Super Elite. Bosa will be a good player who may not even be great. Plus Bosa has been injured in College. Pairing QW with Buckner would be unfair. They would crush the pocket from the inside not allowing QB's to function. I just hope AZ doesn't pick Quinnen Williams. With our FA moves it's obvious we are headed this direction. You don't sink that much money into an edge guy just to draft another edge guy. It's QW and that is in fact great.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Quinnen Williams is so much better than Bosa at his respective position. I can't see how people can't see this. QW = Super Elite. Bosa will be a good player who may not even be great. Plus Bosa has been injured in College. Pairing QW with Buckner would be unfair. They would crush the pocket from the inside not allowing QB's to function. I just hope AZ doesn't pick Quinnen Williams. With our FA moves it's obvious we are headed this direction. You don't sink that much money into an edge guy just to draft another edge guy. It's QW and that is in fact great.

QW might be better at his position than Bosa but Bosa will still be an elite level player. If Bosa is there I expect him to be the pick. If he's not there we should take QW and don't look back.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Mar 13, 2019 at 12:17 AM ]

Originally posted by Waterbear:

QW might be better at his position than Bosa but Bosa will still be an elite level player. If Bosa is there I expect him to be the pick. If he's not there we should take QW and don't look back.

I think QW is hall of fame. Bosa may make the Pro Bowl but not every year. I would not pass on QW. I hope the Kyler Murray stuff is not smokescreen as others said for Arizona. It would be devastating if they picked QW. I mean QW with Buckner on the inside. Wow. I don't think the other teams could even function. Teams would be scared to play us.

Well you can never have enough pass rushers so I don't really agree there.

The Ford signing certainly gave us more flexibility with this pick though. No arguments there.
Excellent post/ thread. The thing about Williams that is really intriguing is his pass rush ability. If the Niners get him and pair him with Buckner, one of those guys will get a double team and the other won't....which means a push up the middle on every passing down. It also means that teams can't double team Ford.
I'm beginning to think that drafting QW might be the smarter move, even with AA and Thomas on the roster. Also, if Thomas starts to develop, all the better because then the Niners can rotate all these guys and keep them fresh. Also, QW is really young and still developing.....and he is already a stud now. Imagine what this guy is going to be in 3 years! I would definitely be cool with the team drafting Q.
That's actually a good article. It sums up my feelings on the Bosa/QW dilemma perfectly.

And it looks like the Niners front office is torn as well. Good news is they have another month and a half to debate it internally and take a deep dive into each player.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd take Bosa/Allen - ER is the bigger need.
Share 49erswebzone