Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 451 users in the forums

Williams vs. Allen

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah forgot about that....I'm looking at Joey's size on the LA roster and he's currently 280lbs?

No idea, but Nick is every bit as strong as his brother. Dude is a tank.
Imo Williams is the better prospect.

Allen seems to do a lot of things very well, but not elite.

Williams plays his position amazing from everything we read. Has a real chance to be dominant.

Now who should we draft? Ask me after FA lol.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo Williams is the better prospect.

Allen seems to do a lot of things very well, but not elite.

Williams plays his position amazing from everything we read. Has a real chance to be dominant.

Now who should we draft? Ask me after FA lol.

I agree with this assessment, except I'd take Williams over Allen if we are at 2 and no Bosa.

If we had an edge rusher, Allen is the pick. Stick him at SAM and we'd have some real athletes at LB. Too bad Foster didn't work out.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo Williams is the better prospect.

Allen seems to do a lot of things very well, but not elite.

Williams plays his position amazing from everything we read. Has a real chance to be dominant.

Now who should we draft? Ask me after FA lol.

You're joking right? Allen did everything at an elite level this past season. Was thee most efficient rushing the passer and elite in coverage, both of which we could use hell any team could use
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo Williams is the better prospect.

Allen seems to do a lot of things very well, but not elite.

Williams plays his position amazing from everything we read. Has a real chance to be dominant.

Now who should we draft? Ask me after FA lol.

You're joking right? Allen did everything at an elite level this past season. Was thee most efficient rushing the passer and elite in coverage, both of which we could use hell any team could use

Nope, I'm not joking. He's the typical athletic freak flying up draft boards this time of year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad at all because he's obviously full of potential and had a great year, but he's easily 3rd behind Bosa and QW. Many folks will say Gary and Oliver are better prospects than him as well. Hell I see a lot of Greedy and Devon White seems to be flying up charts next to him.

I am actually going to agree with Saleh here and say him skipping the senior bowl was meh for me. I get it, but if I'm responsible for drafting the future of the 49ers I want as much data as possible. We already screwed up a second overall pick with Thomas imo.

I wouldn't mind Allen, but I want to see what we do in FA. If I had to choose right now, I'd take Quinnen.
I've been consistent on this from day one, IMO if Bosa goes #1 JA should be the 49ers pick at #2. He fills the 49ers greatest need which IMO isn't LEO it's a pass rusher in general. His production in college along with work ethic are enough for me to feel safe taking him at #2.

Williams is a bust candidate for me this year, only one year of solid production makes me a bit skeptical of guy being hyped so much. Reeks of Solomon Thomas.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Nope, I'm not joking. He's the typical athletic freak flying up draft boards this time of year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad at all because he's obviously full of potential and had a great year, but he's easily 3rd behind Bosa and QW. Many folks will say Gary and Oliver are better prospects than him as well. Hell I see a lot of Greedy and Devon White seems to be flying up charts next to him.

I am actually going to agree with Saleh here and say him skipping the senior bowl was meh for me. I get it, but if I'm responsible for drafting the future of the 49ers I want as much data as possible. We already screwed up a second overall pick with Thomas imo.

I wouldn't mind Allen, but I want to see what we do in FA. If I had to choose right now, I'd take Quinnen.

Meh him not going to the SB isn't really that big of a deal. I was pissed he didn't go because I'm a little selfish and wanted to see more to evaluate...it shouldn't affect his draft stock though.

I don't see anyone talking about Greedy/Oliver/white being drafted over or being better prospects? Who's saying this?

QW is a better prospect end of the day I'm fine with either. I think Allen makes SF a more balanced team.
In the modern nfl its all about speed coverage and disrupt the passing game. Allen looks more relevant. Great size to be that athletic and mobile. Bosa is a wrecking ball but does he stay with backs and tes?

Allen does a lot more. Looks much more versatile than aldon coming out of college.

I think allen checks a lot of boxes on a dcs wish list.

Heres my problem. Our coaching staff.

Are we going to coach this guy up to the next level and use him creatively? Or are we going to do something goofy?

One way to rate quinnan vs alllen is to think which player is more idiot proof. That might be quinnan.

One thing in favor of drafting allen though is that he would make a few players instantly irrelevant like marsh pita blair.

I like.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 17, 2019 at 5:38 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by strickac:
Seriously though, you pick Bosa. I think Ziggy needs to be used as a pass rush specialist. Early on at least, he needs to be on a limited snap count to keep him healthy.

A trade back appeals to me, but it would have to be a monster trade to pass on Bosa.

So what you're gonna pay Ziggy $15 million a yr to not be a 3 down player? I don't think so

We'll see what his contract is worth. Im not so sure he commands $15M anymore. He made 17M last year and it was rated as one of the league's worst contract. His injuries will scare many teams away.

Regardless of who we bring in Marsh will get his snaps as long as he's on the roster. Saleh will rotate all lineman not named Buckner.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I whole-heartedly agreed w/everything until you got to Ziggy!

He's an injury riddled player who misses way too many games.

I'd much rather take Brandon Graham who is rarely if ever injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Vf0RG_ouk

Preston Smith would be another guy who would be on the field and not on the Injury Report.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2021-free-agent-profile-preston-smith/

I don't disagree with Graham or Preston. I think Ziggy is viewed as having limited value and we have some people in the building familiar with him.

Graham is just a bandaid IMO. He's good, but older and probably won't live up to his contact.
Allen is the type of player where Saleh is going to have to move around a lot and disguise where he's at. One play on either edge, the next plav a couple feet off scrimmage over the 2 gap, the next play dropping back, the next play a delayed blitz ,stunt , or zone blitz, etc. If you just line him up at edge, he'll get swallowed up in my opinion.

So some Of it depends on how Saleh envisions him within our scheme. That being said, when the game is on the line, everyone knows Allen will be on the edge, rushing the QB and nobody knows how good he'll be at doing that but if he kills the combine, then maybe it's a good pick.

I think there's less questions with QW, he's got a quick first step and he's still a kid. On every play the o-line has to deal with him. The problem is we picked 3 tackles in a row. I mean if we didn't do that, would we even be debating who the pick would be?

So
I don't know, i leaning towards QW or Ferrell but I'd really like to move down to strengthen our chances at getting another possible starter on defense. Just not sold we would use Allen right or that there's #2 value at that type of linebacker.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Feb 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by strickac:
I think we have to pick Allen. Our roster calls for it. I think QW is the better player, but DT isn't a position of need.

Our defense really isn't terrible. Statistically, they were good in areas. The huge void is turnovers and that begins with a pass rush.

I'm thinking Ziggy Ansah comes cheaper than expected and there's some familiarity with him and the front office. If we get someone like that, then it may change my opinion, but at face value, you have to take the guy that can start at LEO or SAM. We need to put a bandaid on that part of our roster.

What happens if you sign Ziggy and Bosa is sitting there at 2?

You take him and have 2 very good edge rushers that can play both edge positions
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I whole-heartedly agreed w/everything until you got to Ziggy!

He's an injury riddled player who misses way too many games.

I'd much rather take Brandon Graham who is rarely if ever injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Vf0RG_ouk

Preston Smith would be another guy who would be on the field and not on the Injury Report.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2021-free-agent-profile-preston-smith/

I don't disagree with Graham or Preston. I think Ziggy is viewed as having limited value and we have some people in the building familiar with him.

Graham is just a bandaid IMO. He's good, but older and probably won't live up to his contact.

I agree about the bandaid.

That's, IMO, what we need to help the rookie and bring pressure from the other side. Plus he'll be affordable.

That YouTube link explains how he's played over the past years and IMO will do just that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Nope, I'm not joking. He's the typical athletic freak flying up draft boards this time of year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad at all because he's obviously full of potential and had a great year, but he's easily 3rd behind Bosa and QW. Many folks will say Gary and Oliver are better prospects than him as well. Hell I see a lot of Greedy and Devon White seems to be flying up charts next to him.

I am actually going to agree with Saleh here and say him skipping the senior bowl was meh for me. I get it, but if I'm responsible for drafting the future of the 49ers I want as much data as possible. We already screwed up a second overall pick with Thomas imo.

I wouldn't mind Allen, but I want to see what we do in FA. If I had to choose right now, I'd take Quinnen.

Meh him not going to the SB isn't really that big of a deal. I was pissed he didn't go because I'm a little selfish and wanted to see more to evaluate...it shouldn't affect his draft stock though.

I don't see anyone talking about Greedy/Oliver/white being drafted over or being better prospects? Who's saying this?

QW is a better prospect end of the day I'm fine with either. I think Allen makes SF a more balanced team.

I know the senior bowl isn't a biggie, but like you I want as much data as possible on a player lol

I've read it all over. Draft network articles, sports illustrated, cbs, espn stuff. It's all over. Not saying their opinions mean more than ours, but I like to gather consensus as the draft nears. It's basisclly Bosa/QW, the. The next tier is 5-7 players. Some have Allen at 3 some at 8 etc. I kinda agree with the tier.

I don't care who we draft as long as he's a day one impact starter. I'm tired of the high pick misses. I think QW will take a year, but be dominant long term. He's got the quiet nasty streak about him. I wish we had him in the draft two years ago, would have been an easy choice.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I know the senior bowl isn't a biggie, but like you I want as much data as possible on a player lol

I've read it all over. Draft network articles, sports illustrated, cbs, espn stuff. It's all over. Not saying their opinions mean more than ours, but I like to gather consensus as the draft nears. It's basisclly Bosa/QW, the. The next tier is 5-7 players. Some have Allen at 3 some at 8 etc. I kinda agree with the tier.

I don't care who we draft as long as he's a day one impact starter. I'm tired of the high pick misses. I think QW will take a year, but be dominant long term. He's got the quiet nasty streak about him. I wish we had him in the draft two years ago, would have been an easy choice.

Team need takes qw off the table.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone