LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Safety Florida

Time to get our FS this morning. Wrap up the draft and let's go home.

SEA has 3 fourth round picks. NE also has 3. Let's hope neither of them try to jump us.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
WHY find another FS/SS?

We already have COLBERT-MARCELL-MOORE and WARD... drafting one this late would just be a waste, had we let Ward walk, then I would NOT be against taking one here..

I would rather find another OL or a CB to groom, or even another ILB who can play that Special Team Ace for now while learning..
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
WHY find another FS/SS?

We already have COLBERT-MARCELL-MOORE and WARD... drafting one this late would just be a waste, had we let Ward walk, then I would NOT be against taking one here..

I would rather find another OL or a CB to groom, or even another ILB who can play that Special Team Ace for now while learning..

Why? Because none of those guys have clearly entrenched themselves as the starter. Nobody has clearly entrenched themselves as a starter opposite Sherm either though so CB or S both would make sense for day 3.
CGJ isn't just a safety though. He performed very well in the slot corner role, to the point it might actually be his best position. To me, he's a swiss-army knife in the mold of Derwin James--not as big obviously, but pretty close athletically.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by 9moon:
WHY find another FS/SS?

Why? Because none of those guys have clearly entrenched themselves as the starter. Nobody has clearly entrenched themselves as a starter opposite Sherm either though so CB or S both would make sense for day 3.

... and how is CGJ any different from the ones we already have??

CB, yes I agree.. but another SS or FS??
No top CBs left (maybe Amani Oruwariye).
CGJ has explosiveness, instincts, and ball skills. Played a lot in the slot and in the box, but has the range to play deep. Not super physical, but became a consistent tackler in 2018. Many amateur scouts (including myself) pegged him as a legit first rounder.
Who needs a starting safety when you can get a punter in the 4th round.

What a complete joke. God these guys are just so dumb sometimes.
Originally posted by northvan49erman:

Some day, probably about 10 months from now, this will be high on some sports writers top ten list for why Lynch got fired...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Some day, probably about 10 months from now, this will be high on some sports writers top ten list for why Lynch got fired...

Heck no! I don't want Lynch fired!!!!!

Could you imagine who they would bring in next?

Good god don't scare us like that.

I wouldn't count on that. A healthy Garoppolo plus Bosa will cure a lot of wrongs.

Can't we do it before the next pick?
The sky is falling for you snowflakes.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I wouldn't count on that. A healthy Garoppolo plus Bosa will cure a lot of wrongs.

Jimmy getting hurt exposed the fact that beyond him the team was't very good. We lacked talent all over the place, and that's a direct result of leaving drafts with very little to show for them.

Lynch did that his first two drafts. IMO, he needed to really crush this draft top to bottom to truly inject the talent we will need if we want to compete.

I don't think he did that.
I swear if he's another 4th round hit for the Saints imma lose my s**t
Well with Ward out we'll find out if any of our young guys are capable of starting.

I still think CGJ is better than the guys we have. I hope I'm wrong. We'll find out now though.
Share 49ersWebzone